Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123838 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16530 on: December 13, 2011, 03:04:37 pm »

Plants won't grow on muddied constructed floors, but I have heard that farms can be placed on muddied constructed floor and still work.  I haven't tried it on wood, or with aboveground plants however.  Try it and tell us.

hmmm, it sounds like my plans are doomed for a set back, but i'll give it a try and see what happens  :P
I just don't want to have my outdoor farms on ground level where i can't seal them off  :-\ (i'm experimenting with a no digging fort)
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16531 on: December 13, 2011, 03:18:15 pm »

Plants won't grow on muddied constructed floors, but I have heard that farms can be placed on muddied constructed floor and still work.  I haven't tried it on wood, or with aboveground plants however.  Try it and tell us.

hmmm, it sounds like my plans are doomed for a set back, but i'll give it a try and see what happens  :P
I just don't want to have my outdoor farms on ground level where i can't seal them off  :-\ (i'm experimenting with a no digging fort)

You can always construct a roof over them.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16532 on: December 13, 2011, 04:58:01 pm »

True, but I'm trying to have as little of my fort on ground level as possible, I'm building it like a kind of branching tower and trying to see how far i can go with the concept.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #16533 on: December 13, 2011, 09:04:08 pm »

Is it yet known whether it will be possible in the next version to mod in a creature that attacks an enemy and then assumes that enemy's identity and body structure (like The Thing, somewhat)? I think the body structure part is probable at least through a sort of inverse permanent were-beast interaction...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:44:19 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16534 on: December 13, 2011, 10:00:50 pm »

True, but I'm trying to have as little of my fort on ground level as possible, I'm building it like a kind of branching tower and trying to see how far i can go with the concept.
Farms will work on muddied constructed floors IIRC. However it is certainly possible that dwarves will clean the floors, removing the mud and disabling the farm until it is remuddied.

Is it yet known whether it will be possible in the next version to mod in a creature that attacks an enemy and then assumes that enemy's identity and body structure (like The Thing, somewhat)? I think the body structure part is probable at least through a sort of inverse permanent were-beast interaction...
From what we have seen the body part is a tentative yes, while the identity itself part is completely unknown at this point. You might want to check out this thread for a place where people have been investigating the potentials a little bit more.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16535 on: December 14, 2011, 10:31:23 am »

my mayor is also my top marksdwarf and militia commander.... will this cause problems? - he is NOT going to be captain of the gaurd and perform his execute his own punishments
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16536 on: December 14, 2011, 11:19:35 am »

Should be fine, as far as I know.  The only problem you may run into is that mayors are elected by popularity for the most part.

This implies that if your mayor kicks the bucket in combat, it's a pretty big step toward a tantrum spiral.

And making him guard captain might not be such a bad idea honestly.   A wooden crossbow does a lot less damage than a steel mace if he does end up doling out his own punishments.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16537 on: December 14, 2011, 01:16:01 pm »

he got himself attached to a bismuth bronze crossbow, so no, i dont think I'll make him cpt of the guard
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16538 on: December 14, 2011, 02:26:43 pm »

Don't blame you then, hehe.

I'm actually considering making my mayor part of my militia too.  He was a hunter, and last I checked was a proficient marksdwarf.  Don't have a marksdwarf squad yet, so it would be a good start.

Except his friend list is like 30 people long.  If he gets killed...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16539 on: December 14, 2011, 02:51:34 pm »

You do have to be careful with military mayors...at least if they're on active duty, they'll completely ignore the liaison, which means no trade agreement.

Also, they're less available for their other job: consoling dwarves that are really ticked off and preventing a tantrum spiral.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16540 on: December 14, 2011, 04:53:03 pm »

Is there a way to prompt a visit from a megabeast?  I'd used the Lazy Noob Pack to turn off invaders for a while, then turned it back on and had a dragon (the only megabeast in my world) but my dwarves kept messing up in attacking it, so if I remember right, I used Runesmith to check the "Left Map" flag on it.  I turned off invaders again for a while and then turned that back on.  I've had a few goblin attacks and snatchers, but did I possibly mess up my fortress so the dragon will not come back?

Demon Llama

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16541 on: December 14, 2011, 05:09:39 pm »

Hello all,

I've been playing DF for a month or so now and have been having a blast. I've been able to figure most things out on my own, with the wiki, or searching the forums. I have a few questions, though, that I haven't been able to work out. If I could get some help, that'd be awesome. The first question, especially, is the most pressing. I've somehow trapped two legendary miners.

1) Pits: I've been trying to dig pits where I can dump captured things, so my miners channel their way down... and can never get back out. Usually they end up dead from starvation or thirst, or I dig down to a Z level where I have a tunnels already and then dig my way out. I've tried constructing ramps and stairs but they won't do it or it doesn't work. I even tried flooding one pit in hopes of washing the guys back out at a higher Z level out doors, but they drowned before they made it out. I know people pit building destroyers and thieves and stuff so surely you all don't just tunnel out and door/wall it off right? How do you all dig your 50 z level pits and all that?

2) Quarry bushes: So I grow quarry bushes, make myself bags, store the quarry bush leaves in a stockpile, and then attempt to process them in to bags at the farmers workshop. Except, every time without fail, I get the message saying I need unrotten processable item and bags. Now, if something is stock piled then it shouldn't rot right? and I know my bags aren't forbidden and in one case were within 3 tiles of a workshop. I've actually followed dwarves around to make sure they're harvesting, and storing. Am I missing something? Does this action just happen automatically and I'm just not noticing?

3) How does one build a tower? (I'm mostly just curious and am wondering if there's a tutorial on building above ground constructions like this)

4) how does one gather clay? I can't seem to find the designation...

5) I see on the forums that most people put their bedrooms 6+ z levels down and craft shops even lower. However, when I try and dig down to those levels, I'm well in to summer (or early autumn) before I get anywhere close to having basic fort structures set up. I guess my rule of thumb is to get inside as soon as possible, but should I not worry about this? Or is it generally the best idea to dig preliminary quarters and move down as time goes on? (I guess I'm just curious about this too. nothing urgent)

Thank you all for your help!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16542 on: December 14, 2011, 05:28:48 pm »

Hello all,

I've been playing DF for a month or so now and have been having a blast. I've been able to figure most things out on my own, with the wiki, or searching the forums. I have a few questions, though, that I haven't been able to work out. If I could get some help, that'd be awesome. The first question, especially, is the most pressing. I've somehow trapped two legendary miners.

1) Pits: I've been trying to dig pits where I can dump captured things, so my miners channel their way down... and can never get back out. Usually they end up dead from starvation or thirst, or I dig down to a Z level where I have a tunnels already and then dig my way out. I've tried constructing ramps and stairs but they won't do it or it doesn't work. I even tried flooding one pit in hopes of washing the guys back out at a higher Z level out doors, but they drowned before they made it out. I know people pit building destroyers and thieves and stuff so surely you all don't just tunnel out and door/wall it off right? How do you all dig your 50 z level pits and all that?

2) Quarry bushes: So I grow quarry bushes, make myself bags, store the quarry bush leaves in a stockpile, and then attempt to process them in to bags at the farmers workshop. Except, every time without fail, I get the message saying I need unrotten processable item and bags. Now, if something is stock piled then it shouldn't rot right? and I know my bags aren't forbidden and in one case were within 3 tiles of a workshop. I've actually followed dwarves around to make sure they're harvesting, and storing. Am I missing something? Does this action just happen automatically and I'm just not noticing?

3) How does one build a tower? (I'm mostly just curious and am wondering if there's a tutorial on building above ground constructions like this)

4) how does one gather clay? I can't seem to find the designation...

5) I see on the forums that most people put their bedrooms 6+ z levels down and craft shops even lower. However, when I try and dig down to those levels, I'm well in to summer (or early autumn) before I get anywhere close to having basic fort structures set up. I guess my rule of thumb is to get inside as soon as possible, but should I not worry about this? Or is it generally the best idea to dig preliminary quarters and move down as time goes on? (I guess I'm just curious about this too. nothing urgent)

Thank you all for your help!
1) Dig stairs up, then floor them over.

2) If you have leaves, then you've already processed the raw quarry bushes. It goes like this:
Plant rock nuts -> harvest quarry bushes -> process plants to bags (which produces rock nuts and leaves)
Quarry bush leaves are a good source of food, since one plant yields five leaves. Be aware that they cannot be eaten raw, and so must be cooked.

3) First, build walls. Then, build an up stair, then after it is constructed, a down or up/down stair on the level above. Build floors around the stairs until you have a full floor/roof. Repeat as necessary.
Be aware that walls cannot be built on constructed floors, but can be built on top of constructed walls.

4) It's in the zone ([ i ]) menu.

5) The reason for carving bedrooms down lower is to ensure they are entirely stone, which can be smoothed and engraved.
It should take the same amount of time to dig ten layers down as to dig a ten tile 1x1 hallway.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16543 on: December 14, 2011, 07:43:43 pm »

What I do is dig a staircase down next to where I'll be digging a pit.  Start by carving out or building a down stair on the level you have access to, then digging out an up/down stair directly below that on each level.  The bottom-most level just gets an up stair.  Now dig a short corridor on each level from the stair to where the pit is going to be.  Once your miner access/escape stair is done, you can channel out the pit, one layer at a time from the top to the bottom.  Once the pit is completed, seal the access corridors with constructed walls.

Once the quarry bushes have been harvested and are in a food stockpile, and you have empty bags, select the Process Plants to Bags job at the Farmer's workshop.  This should result in the quarry bushes being processed into bags of quarry bush leaves.  You will then need to cook the leaves at a kitchen workshop in order for them to be edible.

Build walls in the shape of the base of your tower.  Build a stair up inside the tower.  On the next level up, build an up/down stair atop the up stairs.  Build floors out from the up/down stair covering the interior of the tower, but not on top of the walls on the lower level.  On top of the walls on the lower level, build more walls.  Repeat until the tower is as large as you like.

Styles vary.  I usually build temporary workshops, stockpiles and living quarters in the soil layer one or two Z-levels down, then once the basics are in place dig deeper for the stone layers to place the actual working fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16544 on: December 14, 2011, 08:35:59 pm »

1) I usually do dig a horizontal access tunnel at the bottom of the pit, sealing it with a drawbridge.  That way I can retrieve any goblinite that may end up down there.

2-3) Seem to be covered well enough.

4) For clay, a clay zone must first be laid out.  This is done in the same manner as a pasture or meeting zone.  Then, to actually collect the clay, you must a kiln set up and queue the "collect clay" job at it.  Performing the job uses the item hauling labor, not pottery.

5) Two things.  One, having basic structures set up by the first summer is overrated.  Toss up some temporary workshops where ever until you get a better area dug out.  Unless you're in an evil area, or very unlucky in a savage one, you aren't likely to have any real threats before year two.  Two, a thing I often do is to carve out big open areas in the soil layers as a near-first priority.   This trains up the miners quickly, and makes good places to put stockpiles and temporary workshops.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 1178