Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1103 1104 [1105] 1106 1107 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123778 times)

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16560 on: December 16, 2011, 11:14:10 am »

How much pasture land does a yak (or 3) need? They came with me at embark and have now had a baby, I'm curious if I can start breeding them. The wiki says that they are poor choice of livestock, but doesn't give any better details.

EDIT: Found on a different page that they recommend a 16x16 pasture for each Yak. Does that mean to pasture them all I'd need for them to each have a 16x16 pasture? If I don't pasture them they sit in my dining hall, past forts have taught me that they starve in there.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:51:45 am by Relapse »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16561 on: December 16, 2011, 11:52:28 am »

For whatever reason my dwarves won't haul dead pets to either the corpse pile or to a designated coffin. It's getting to be a problem now, as migrant's pets end up starving to death in the dining hall, leaving skeletons behind and rotting. Am I missing something obvious here?

There's a "graveyard" stockpile option. They'll still end up rotting and upsetting their former owners, but you can at least move them outside so the miasma doesn't bother anyone else.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16562 on: December 16, 2011, 12:20:03 pm »

EDIT: Found on a different page that they recommend a 16x16 pasture for each Yak. Does that mean to pasture them all I'd need for them to each have a 16x16 pasture? If I don't pasture them they sit in my dining hall, past forts have taught me that they starve in there.

That sounds about right.  Yaks need *huge* pastures.  I recommend slaughtering them before they starve, then buying some sheep.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16563 on: December 16, 2011, 02:00:55 pm »

How does the "take from stockpile" option work? If I want to have empty barrels next to my brewery for example... Or I want to keep the small stockpiles next to the butchery open for quick storage after the fact.

Also, I just got an artifact gem. What can I do with it?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:11:35 pm by Relapse »

Sarlare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16564 on: December 16, 2011, 02:23:34 pm »

How does the "take from stockpile" option work? If I want to have empty barrels next to my brewery for example... Or I want to keep the small stockpiles next to the butchery open for quick storage after the fact.

I haven't fiddled with the "take from stockpile" option much, but have you tried making a furniture stockpile next to said brewery? Just forbid every type of furniture except barrels and any material except for wood if you are picky. As for the gem, I'm not entirely sure and don't want to give a false explanation.

On a side note, I finally figured out why my humans weren't hauling corpses (I tried my hand at a modded human fortress). Apparently outdoor refuse hauling is set to off by default, so corpses and such are ignored. Thought I would throw that out there for anyone else who encounters this problem.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:31:53 pm by Sarlare »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16565 on: December 16, 2011, 02:43:35 pm »

When you tell stockpile A to take from stockpile B, if A has space remaining and B has items that A wants, then your haulers will move the items.
Also, a stockpile can be fed by many stockpiles, but it can only feed one other stockpile.

In vanilla, nowt.

I suppose you could use it for kobold bait...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16566 on: December 16, 2011, 05:43:37 pm »

Questions about weapon traps,

-how can I tell if one is clogged?
-will the trap fire/swing over and over if the same creature camps on it or is it only triggered when somebody steps on it?
-when it attacks, will it affect multiple creatures on the same tile?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16567 on: December 16, 2011, 05:51:05 pm »

press t and hold the corsor over the trap. It should give a list of the weapons inside it and the mechanism used. If it also has -corpse of xxx- inside, its clogged.
As far as i know, it fires whenever there is a creature on it, not just when it steps on it. A creature that got knocked uncnscious but not dead on top of one is not ging t live much longer
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16568 on: December 16, 2011, 05:58:32 pm »

Well, there is a beastman corpse on the trap's tile with TSK on it, despite no dwarves being able to path to it (siege outside). I don't know if it's clogging the trap, though...

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16569 on: December 16, 2011, 06:05:15 pm »

I... I am being really stupid.

How do I start a new embark in an already generated world? When I am on the start page, I see "Continue playing" which allows me to access my saves. But where do I do an new embark??

Also, somehow I was under the impression that we can get updates beyond .25, or at least current releases. Where do I see what version I'm on, and how do I update to Toady's most current version? Just download again?

Sorry for these, they feel really silly, but I can't figure it out.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16570 on: December 16, 2011, 06:07:20 pm »

on the tile, doesnt matter. If it is clogged, the corpse will disapear from the tile and reappear inside the trap. (t) lets you check inside structures, for example to see what your fey mood dwarf has collected, if a workshop is actually working and if a trap has a corpse inside the trap itself instead of just on it. The TSK just means someone thinks it should be cleaned away to a refuse stockpile, most likely. if bridges are closed, the place is otherwise inaccesible or it is outside your civilian burrow, you'll start getting spammed with job cancelation messages. Otherwise, expect a dwarf to walk out, nod in a friendly way to the siegers, and attempt to clean things up a bit

-----

you need to abandon the fort you have at that moment in a world - or pension the adventurer - before you can start something new. You can have only 1 fort or adventurer at any time and it will always be chronological: if you embark at 150, abandon at 157, your next fort will most likely start in 158 (there may be some occasion when not, i dont know for sure)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:11:47 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16571 on: December 16, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »

-----

you need to abandon the fort you have at that moment in a world - or pension the adventurer - before you can start something new. You can have only 1 fort or adventurer at any time and it will always be chronological: if you embark at 150, abandon at 157, your next fort will most likely start in 158 (there may be some occasion when not, i dont know for sure)
[/quote]

Ah. That's annoying, but it makes sense. If you want to run multiple forts in the "same world", you'd have to save scum and copy and abandon then? I think I get it.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16572 on: December 16, 2011, 06:22:55 pm »

I... I am being really stupid.

How do I start a new embark in an already generated world? When I am on the start page, I see "Continue playing" which allows me to access my saves. But where do I do an new embark??

Also, somehow I was under the impression that we can get updates beyond .25, or at least current releases. Where do I see what version I'm on, and how do I update to Toady's most current version? Just download again?

Sorry for these, they feel really silly, but I can't figure it out.

0.31.25 is the latest release thus far, but you can check the version number in the bottom right corner of the main menu.

You can find the most recent version here.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16573 on: December 17, 2011, 06:45:36 am »

Is it normal for war animals to randomly attack other friendly creatures? There has never been a day without random infighting among my bears.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16574 on: December 17, 2011, 10:19:24 am »

Is it normal for war animals to randomly attack other friendly creatures? There has never been a day without random infighting among my bears.

Maybe they are too crowded? Happens to me when many animals are in a small pasture or meeting point.

Note : I also had cougars taking clawswipes at my wardogs in 31.06, before the pasture and "too crowded" features appeared. No idea why it happened, but I like to think my guard cats were territorial. :)
Pages: 1 ... 1103 1104 [1105] 1106 1107 ... 1178