Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124494 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15915 on: November 02, 2011, 12:07:57 am »

No, but I see one occasion where they at least semi-regularly (after dumping shit out of a pretty gory arena) go that's above ground: a pond I designated as a water source, in order to wash up. You see, I've sort of been slacking as regards building underground wells.

But even that happens rarely enough that in 40d I doubt I would have seen it stop adaptation, thus I still think the mechanics have been changed.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15916 on: November 02, 2011, 11:04:14 am »

Is there any way to get dwarves from attaching to their weapons? You know, it's annoying when legendary axedwarf gets attached to his copper axe, and you cannot give *steel axe* to him.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #15917 on: November 02, 2011, 11:13:29 am »

it wouldnt be bad if the weapon gained extra qualities too, maybe an idea for mythical updates
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15918 on: November 02, 2011, 11:43:41 am »

Is there any way to get dwarves from attaching to their weapons? You know, it's annoying when legendary axedwarf gets attached to his copper axe, and you cannot give *steel axe* to him.

You can give him a steel axe; just dump his current axe, and destroy it if need be.
Dwarves get attached through use and time; if you want to avoid unwanted attachment, either start them off with equipment you want them to keep, or regularly swap out their equipment (which can take a lot of micromanagement) to keep them from having the same pieces for months.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15919 on: November 02, 2011, 11:54:19 am »

Is there an easy way of getting rid of pseudo-artifacts? I really don't need those leather shields hanging around. Does anybody know off the top of their head whether or not they burn forever like regular artifacts?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15920 on: November 02, 2011, 12:04:45 pm »

ok, I have cleared out a small space near my jewelers so that I can start encrusting goods for trade. How do I set up the stockpile so that it only accepts good quality metal crafts(and goblets) taken from my main finished goods stockpile?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15921 on: November 02, 2011, 12:15:53 pm »

Is there an easy way of getting rid of pseudo-artifacts? I really don't need those leather shields hanging around. Does anybody know off the top of their head whether or not they burn forever like regular artifacts?
Magma should do the trick I believe.

ok, I have cleared out a small space near my jewelers so that I can start encrusting goods for trade. How do I set up the stockpile so that it only accepts good quality metal crafts(and goblets) taken from my main finished goods stockpile?
If you open up the stockpile options with the (q) menu then under metal their should be a "quality" category. Adjust this to only include the qualities you desire. Then simply have the stockpile (t)ake from the main stockpile. Keep in mind that though one stockpile can take from many, each stockpile can only be taken from by one other stockpile.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15922 on: November 02, 2011, 12:41:19 pm »

If you open up the stockpile options with the (q) menu then under metal their should be a "quality" category. Adjust this to only include the qualities you desire. Then simply have the stockpile (t)ake from the main stockpile. Keep in mind that though one stockpile can take from many, each stockpile can only be taken from by one other stockpile.
[/quote]

Yeah, learned that last part when trying to set up food stockpiles for my jail area. Took me a few minutes to realize I had to chain take to get them to fill properly. Thanks for the advice!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15923 on: November 02, 2011, 12:57:06 pm »

Never mind, I found out that artifacts can be dumped as long as they're in a bin and it's the bin that's marked for dumping. They don't vanish off the stocks list or the artifacts list, they just get greyed out in the stocks list and get (Lost) after their name in the artifact list.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15924 on: November 02, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »

Never mind, I found out that artifacts can be dumped as long as they're in a bin and it's the bin that's marked for dumping. They don't vanish off the stocks list or the artifacts list, they just get greyed out in the stocks list and get (Lost) after their name in the artifact list.

Did that piss off the maker of the artifact??
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15925 on: November 02, 2011, 02:06:26 pm »

Is small animal desication required in order to milk?  Milk is subcompartmentalized as an extract.  My dwarfs never automatically milk or shear, even tho I have autofarm on in the orders.  Thanks, Knutor

What "autofarm" setting are you turning on? I've never seen a setting like that. I don't know of any way to have someone do milking other than setting the orders for it in the workshop or job manager.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15926 on: November 02, 2011, 03:10:14 pm »

Keep in mind that though one stockpile can take from many, each stockpile can only be taken from by one other stockpile.

Yeah, learned that last part when trying to set up food stockpiles for my jail area. Took me a few minutes to realize I had to chain take to get them to fill properly. Thanks for the advice!

Interesting, I didn't know that a stockpile can only feed into one other stockpile. Chaining might have scalability issues, though, if you had lots of dwarves in prison...

I think you could work around the stockpile issue for your jails without having to chain the stockpiles, though: begin by making one big food stockpile that covers your whole jail area. Then use the "remove" tool to remove bits from the zone until the stockpile consists of one square in each cell. Now all the food stockpiles in your dungeon are actually one single stockpile with a lot of holes in it. Set that one stockpile to take from your main prepared food storage, and you should be solid, no chaining required.

Only issue is that all the jail cells have to be on a single z-level for that to work, since you can't create a stockpile across z-levels.

Is small animal desication required in order to milk?  Milk is subcompartmentalized as an extract.  My dwarfs never automatically milk or shear, even tho I have autofarm on in the orders.  Thanks, Knutor
Dried vermin are not a part of the milk production process. ;)

The milking labor, empty buckets, and food stockpiles with barrels and milk allowed are necessary for milking to happen. Also, you have to have enough barrels/pots.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15927 on: November 02, 2011, 05:18:24 pm »

Did that piss off the maker of the artifact??
No, it doesn't even show up on their thoughts screen.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15928 on: November 02, 2011, 05:23:27 pm »

I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding it anywhere, so I'll go ahead and ask

I breached the caverns and walled them off immediately because I don't want to deal with FBs right now. I have a working textile industry based off wool and pig tails, and my loom or clothiers shop or something keeps assigning the task of collecting GCS webs, but since the caverns are walled off they're inaccessible. The clothiers all constantly spam cancellation of collecting webs for making silk. Is there some way to

a. Make them stop creating the task

or

b. Disable the notification

Thanks in advance

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15929 on: November 02, 2011, 05:27:31 pm »

I usually go to the workshop and suspend the activity. It won't generate more jobs attempting it.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1178