Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1027 1028 [1029] 1030 1031 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125416 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15420 on: October 06, 2011, 07:30:28 am »

3) One of my recruits got his foot chopped off by a goblin ambusher. He went to the hospital for diagnosis, got diagnosed with major blood loss, inability to walk, and needs a crutch. But there was no dressing or suturing, and now he's up and running when the squad gets orders (he still shows moderate blood loss in his health screen). Is this guy going to bleed out still, or has his amputation magically healed from 5 minutes in a hospital bed?
Because of the way DF models injuries, body parts which are completely removed don't cause any further bleeding or injury.  Only damaged body parts can bleed.  DF doesn't model blood loss from the stump where a body part used to be.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Target Practice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15421 on: October 06, 2011, 07:37:52 am »

For some reason I don't seem to be producing much in the way of plump helmets, so I find that occasionally my dwarves need to drink water to survive. Unfortunately, said water is prone to freezing in winter, causing much death by thirst.
I looked up on the wiki regards desalination, and I just want to confirm my thinking is correct before I start building this:

If I construct a pit 2 z-levels below ground and channel a water source into that, then use a screw pump to pump that salty water up into a constructed reservoir (ie, walls and floors, not just hewn rock or clay), it should be usable as a water source without my having to tunnel all the way down to the caverns and make a well within the first year of embark?

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15422 on: October 06, 2011, 07:41:38 am »

Two questions about barracks and one about wounds.

1) Is there any need to provide lots of armor and weapon racks in the barracks so that dwarfs put stuff away neatly when going off-duty? (Right now I have lots of random armor and clothing strewn around the barracks, but I assume the clothing will get put away once I build claim-able bedrooms with cabinets.)

AFAIK, the racks/stands may be used to hang unwearable/unusable items on, but that's the only function.  I can't say I've ever seen them actually used, but I don't make a lot of them, either.  My militia commander and notable military folk may get one in their rooms when I get to the "spoil them rotten" stage, but that's about it.  Cabinets and free time are your best options when it comes to dealing with clutter.  (Just out of curiosity, though, why not have them wear their armor full-time rather than just on-duty?)

2) Is there any benefit to having a separate barracks for each squad? Right now I have 2 melee-based squads who alternate on the training schedule. They're both set to train and sleep in the same barracks when on-duty. Is this going to cause any problems or limit sparring opportunities?

I'm not really sure on this one.  I've always just made one rather large barracks, but they sleep in their rooms.  I do alternate training between squads, though, as a general rule.  Will be interesting to see what others say.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15423 on: October 06, 2011, 07:46:35 am »

If I construct a pit 2 z-levels below ground and channel a water source into that, then use a screw pump to pump that salty water up into a constructed reservoir (ie, walls and floors, not just hewn rock or clay), it should be usable as a water source without my having to tunnel all the way down to the caverns and make a well within the first year of embark?

I believe that wells will desalinate water, so you may not need to bother with a screw pump.  If you're having problems maintaining booze, that should probably be your first focus anyway.  Be careful with your channeling, though, because if you expose a reservoir tile to the outside air, it will be noted as outside and the water will freeze in winter just like the outdoors does.  For this reason, I sometimes just designate a pond zone and use a bucket brigade.

What's the problem with your farms?  Do you not have enough seeds, enough farmers, enough farm plots, any idea?
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15424 on: October 06, 2011, 08:03:36 am »

Is there any way to make it so that miners DON'T stop digging, even if it's warm?

I'm not talking about making it stop pausing me and bringing my camera to the area, I already know how to do that.  I just want them to dig anyway if the stone is warm so I can relax a bit as I designate some magma workshops/furnaces over a magma pool.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15425 on: October 06, 2011, 08:08:37 am »

Is there any way to make it so that miners DON'T stop digging, even if it's warm?

I'm not talking about making it stop pausing me and bringing my camera to the area, I already know how to do that.  I just want them to dig anyway if the stone is warm so I can relax a bit as I designate some magma workshops/furnaces over a magma pool.

There isn't a mechanism within the game that I know of.

You can check out this thread where someone posted a utility, but I don't have any idea whether it works with the current version or whether it's safe to use.

Target Practice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15426 on: October 06, 2011, 08:16:18 am »

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest (I'm hugely new to DF). I've got a 5x5 plot built in soil, got a seed-only stockpile right next to my plot, and I'm growing Plump Helmets right throughout the year, and making sure to set them to 'brew only' in the status screen so I don't lose the seeds. I just never seem to have enough booze.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15427 on: October 06, 2011, 08:17:42 am »

Is it possible to have a 4 dwarf squad all spar at the same time? I currently have a small 3 dwarf military who are sparring with each other and am wondering if adding a new expert spear migrant would affect their routine.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15428 on: October 06, 2011, 08:34:40 am »

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest (I'm hugely new to DF). I've got a 5x5 plot built in soil, got a seed-only stockpile right next to my plot, and I'm growing Plump Helmets right throughout the year, and making sure to set them to 'brew only' in the status screen so I don't lose the seeds. I just never seem to have enough booze.
Do you have enough barrels? Are your brewer busy doing something else?

Is it possible to have a 4 dwarf squad all spar at the same time? I currently have a small 3 dwarf military who are sparring with each other and am wondering if adding a new expert spear migrant would affect their routine.
I believe dwarves prefer to spar with people who has about the same skill levels as they do, or at least is not a complete beginner. So they'd probably go back to instructions whenever the new dwarf is around, though I think they would still spar with each other if the newbie wasn't there at the time.
Love, scriver~

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15429 on: October 06, 2011, 08:49:34 am »

Do you have enough barrels? Are your brewer busy doing something else?

Also, don't forget rock pots, made at a crafter's shop. 

Plump helmets are edible raw, so if you don't have much other food, that may be part of your problem.  If you have seeds for them, you can create more plots and plant more mushrooms.  Pig tails, sweet pods, and cave wheat are all brewable but not edible in their raw state, so you can also plant those for brewing and let the mushrooms be eaten.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:03:16 am by Endiqua »

Target Practice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15430 on: October 06, 2011, 08:53:35 am »

Thanks guys - yeah, I think part of the problem may be a lack of containers - I'm going to look at getting a second craftsdwarf's workshop created solely to create rock pots. I'm also going to look to get my egg industry running properly so I can eliminate the possibility of the food shortage causing this.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15431 on: October 06, 2011, 09:03:56 am »

Remember that eggs have to be cooked first. 

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15432 on: October 06, 2011, 09:31:12 am »

Regarding my question on sparring dwarves. The first three are around Proficient, competant and adequate. They spar mostly everytime. I'm adding in an expert level one.

So is it right to assume that DF has computations based on who will spar against who?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15433 on: October 06, 2011, 09:49:52 am »

Regarding my question on sparring dwarves. The first three are around Proficient, competant and adequate. They spar mostly everytime. I'm adding in an expert level one.

So is it right to assume that DF has computations based on who will spar against who?
Ah, sorry, I read it as "new" earlier - don't ask me how exactly my mind got it that way.

Anyway, if the new dwarf already has some skill they'd most likely spar with him like they did with each other before. There is no number limits to sparring that I know of, except the higher the number the harder it gets to have everybody gathered at the same time. He might still end up doing demonstrations if he lacks other fighting skills the other ones has (brawling, fighting, blocking, all of those), and vice versa, but eventually they should spar together.

Oh, unless you've set the schedule to 3 dwarves or something (defaults to 10/full squad), then they might be less inclined to train all at the same time.
Love, scriver~

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15434 on: October 06, 2011, 10:08:58 am »

Thanks guys - yeah, I think part of the problem may be a lack of containers - I'm going to look at getting a second craftsdwarf's workshop created solely to create rock pots. I'm also going to look to get my egg industry running properly so I can eliminate the possibility of the food shortage causing this.

You'll want to go into the stock(p)iles menu and set your reserved barrels to 10+. That will mean that if you have less than 10 barrels empty, currently empty barrels can only be used for tasks requiring barrels (brewing, building workshops, maybe also milking). Reserving 10 barrels will usually mean you'll have at least 100 booze after you set your brewery on repeat.

Don't forget that dwarves need variety when it comes to booze as well. If they get tired of plump helmet booze, they'll refuse to drink it and drink water instead. They'll probably drink it if there's no water once they get dehydrated, but preferring water will lead to your supply of fresh water running out faster.

No experience with salt water myself (I've never done an ocean embark), but what I get from the wiki aritcle on salt water is that if you build a constructed underground cistern in a salt water biome, the ground has already been marked as salty, and you'll end up with salt water. If you've got a pond that isn't salt water, though, that is in a fresh-water biome, and you can build a constructed cistern underground entirely in that biome, fill it with a screw-pump, and get fresh water, regardless of what kind of water was pumped in.
Pages: 1 ... 1027 1028 [1029] 1030 1031 ... 1178