Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125244 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15450 on: October 07, 2011, 12:23:02 pm »

Have you ever tried chopping trees with training/wooden axe?
One of my woodcutters is doing it.
So my question is: bug or feature?
Bugture.
Love, scriver~

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #15451 on: October 07, 2011, 01:11:39 pm »

can you get rid of carved out stairs? Cause i have up stairs htat i now want to turn into up/down stairs, am i being dumb and missing something cause it aint working :/
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #15452 on: October 07, 2011, 01:15:44 pm »

Try constructing the stairs instead: b►C►x.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15453 on: October 07, 2011, 02:24:20 pm »

can you get rid of carved out stairs? Cause i have up stairs htat i now want to turn into up/down stairs, am i being dumb and missing something cause it aint working :/

You can construct stairs over carved-out stairs, I believe. b > C > x, as rhesusmacabre said. I also -think- you can channel them out and them replace them with a construction, but that's faffing about for faffing about's sake.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #15454 on: October 07, 2011, 02:55:18 pm »

Yes I was able to build over them, didn't think i could do that for some reason! thanks!
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15455 on: October 07, 2011, 04:16:42 pm »

I just want them to dig anyway if the stone is warm so I can relax a bit as I designate some magma workshops/furnaces over a magma pool.
Go to the level above the one where you want your room, and dig in the following pattern, repeated as necessary:

Code: [Select]
# = rock
v = down ramp
+ = floor

########
#v++v++v
########
########
#v++v++v
########

Once you've done this (you'll need to down a level to do the ramps, as you can only designate up-ramps), all the tiles surrounding the up-ramps will be revealed and can be dug without further problems. You won't get any announcement for the ramp-digging even if you have the default announcement behaviour. The game only gives those when a warm tile is revealed AND there's a dig desigation on it, and by the time the stone is revealed as warm the digging in that area is done.

Another option is to use down-stairs instead of ramps, but this only reveals the tile directly below the stair. You'll have to dig out the workshop area twice, once on the level above and once on the level it actually occupies. This way is more convenient for the player because the designations can be done in simple large chunks, including flooring the stairs over if you want to use the space for stockpiles, but takes more dwarf time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15456 on: October 07, 2011, 06:47:55 pm »

wow, that bug sucks! (sorry, was replying to the smelting bug not seeing items set in burrows)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:54:12 pm by thistleknot »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15457 on: October 07, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »

It's not strictly a bug. It's an undesirable side-effect of intended behaviour.

According to one post I just this minute found, the latest version of DFhack can be used to replicate the functionality of the utility that used to get around this problem. Revealed maps can now be unpaused without the old problems occuring, so you can reveal the map, do your digging, and unreveal. Only problem is that using Reveal might reveal things you didn't want to see or be tempted to look at, so I guess you'd have to designate, move the view away from any revealed areas, and twiddle your thumbs until the miners finished.

There is a way to make this quicker. By designating long corridors two tiles apart, you reveal the rest of the tiles naturally and make them freely diggable. Digging these corridors is also quicker than digging an equivalent amount of tiles as a square room, as the miner is always next to a designated tile and has only one tile to reach it from.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15458 on: October 07, 2011, 09:16:59 pm »

Is it really worth it to move all of my operations/living quarters 60 or so z levels down to the magma?  I know the benefits of not worrying about fuel, but it seems like a really deep place to dig, in which I plan to at least attempt to make my first living quarters down there in my new embark.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #15459 on: October 07, 2011, 09:42:47 pm »

Are pieces of armor that are currently equipped by a military dwarf unable to be selected at the trade depot for trading?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15460 on: October 07, 2011, 10:42:45 pm »

Bit of a random question here but well, how does "freezing" and "scorching" work exactly? As the wiki mentions, your people can die of exposure to extreme cold/heat in these biomes if they aren't underground. So does that mean it's actually not possible to make an aboveground settlement as everyone would just die of exposure?

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15461 on: October 08, 2011, 04:15:54 am »

Are pieces of armor that are currently equipped by a military dwarf unable to be selected at the trade depot for trading?

Yes. The trade screen only show unused items (so no used armor, no built furniture, no block included in a construction or a workshop...)
You wanted to get rid of some sub-par armors? You'll have to replace them first (or remove them from the dwarf's uniform.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15462 on: October 08, 2011, 06:01:34 am »

Bit of a random question here but well, how does "freezing" and "scorching" work exactly? As the wiki mentions, your people can die of exposure to extreme cold/heat in these biomes if they aren't underground. So does that mean it's actually not possible to make an aboveground settlement as everyone would just die of exposure?

Well a large amount of clothing will protect dwarves from high/low temperatures. Each piece of clothing has a "coverage" value that affects how well it protects its wearer from attacks and from temperature effects. As such it is completely possible to form outdoor settlements in cold/hot places, you just need to make sure that your dwarves are all wearing protective clothing+gloves+shoes+etc. so their fingers don't burn/freeze off. Also all of your babies/children will die outside since you can't get them to wear any clothes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15463 on: October 08, 2011, 10:50:17 am »

Is it really worth it to move all of my operations/living quarters 60 or so z levels down to the magma?  I know the benefits of not worrying about fuel, but it seems like a really deep place to dig, in which I plan to at least attempt to make my first living quarters down there in my new embark.

60 z-levels down isn't that much. It takes a dwarf about (actually, I think exactly) as long to walk 60 levels straight down via stairs as it does for him to walk 60 tiles N/E/S/W on the level. It seems like a much longer distance, but as far as the game is concerned it really isn't.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15464 on: October 08, 2011, 04:13:05 pm »

60 z-levels down isn't that much. It takes a dwarf about (actually, I think exactly) as long to walk 60 levels straight down via stairs as it does for him to walk 60 tiles N/E/S/W on the level. It seems like a much longer distance, but as far as the game is concerned it really isn't.
Yeah they are the same distance exactly the only difference being that dwarves seem to be a little better at dodging around each other in the horizontal than in the vertical. This can be made up for by having 1x3 staircases or even more by having 3x3 stairways.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 1178