Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125757 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15150 on: September 19, 2011, 06:34:03 am »

How do you practically use mechanisms?  For levers and stuff?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15151 on: September 19, 2011, 07:01:29 am »

Drop Bridges, cage traps and levers to name a few.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:43:43 am by sirquote »

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15152 on: September 19, 2011, 07:03:42 am »

To build traps and levers, and to connect devices together.
[Signature]

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15153 on: September 19, 2011, 08:26:19 am »

Is the ocean flowing water for purposes of waterwheels?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15154 on: September 19, 2011, 09:15:00 am »

Is the ocean flowing water for purposes of waterwheels?

If you talk about water in the ocean (sorry for redundancy) as in waves coming from it then no, they do NOT power waterwheels.

If you mean the tiny blue color change in water tiles then yes, that flowing water can power water wheels  :)

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #15155 on: September 19, 2011, 10:50:19 am »

What is the rough file size of Dwarf fortress? Assuming I limit it to two small worlds, will it be able to fit onto a memory stick? Thanks in advance.
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15156 on: September 19, 2011, 11:16:08 am »

What is the rough file size of Dwarf fortress? Assuming I limit it to two small worlds, will it be able to fit onto a memory stick? Thanks in advance.

Even with a few worlds created DF shouldn't be more than a few hundred MB.  You shouldn't have trouble putting it on a thumb drive.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: September 19, 2011, 12:21:16 pm »

Even with a few worlds created DF shouldn't be more than a few hundred MB.  You shouldn't have trouble putting it on a thumb drive.

Thanks, now I can finally start playing dwarf fortress again! Hooray! Forgotten beast roasts for everyone!
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15158 on: September 19, 2011, 12:23:31 pm »

Question:

How do you increase the value of a limited space room, so that the occupants become really happy?  This isn't for nobles or anything, but for my military dwarves, I don't want them to tantrum.  And I don't know how to make wells. 
Weapon traps are a great way to boost room value. On the cheap just go with a good mechanism and some green glass serrated discs. If you have an artifact weapon of something stupid (like an artifact bone mace) you can stick it in a weapon trap and seriously boost value.
I've got a baron sitting in an unsmoothed 5x5 room with crap quality furniture and all 4 rooms designated on the same space, perfectly happy with the royal quality of them all because of an artifact bone pick built into a weapon trap.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15159 on: September 19, 2011, 03:36:28 pm »

How do you remove above ground "dead shrubs"?

I can't pick them up with herbalism and they're stopping me from making a perfectly square farm plot above ground :(.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15160 on: September 19, 2011, 03:46:57 pm »

How do you remove above ground "dead shrubs"?

I can't pick them up with herbalism and they're stopping me from making a perfectly square farm plot above ground :(.

Yes, it's very annoying :(.  You can construct floors / roads over them and immediately deconstruct them, or set a meeting area over it and idle dwarves will eventually trample it into nothing. 

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15161 on: September 20, 2011, 07:36:23 am »

My axedwarfs won't equip their shields.  I'm using a custom uniform, set to partial matches.  They've equipped the other items in their uniform. The shields aren't forbidden in the stocks screen.  They've had plenty of time to pick them up. Any ideas?

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15162 on: September 20, 2011, 08:53:22 am »

So, during a recent ambush I sent out my brave (stupid) military to combat (uselessly distract) the goblins trying to get through the line of traps.

Apparently, one of the hammermen somehow got trapped in one of our cage traps.  How did this happen?

He got knocked back from a blow if that counts.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15163 on: September 20, 2011, 09:05:08 am »

So, during a recent ambush I sent out my brave (stupid) military to combat (uselessly distract) the goblins trying to get through the line of traps.

Apparently, one of the hammermen somehow got trapped in one of our cage traps.  How did this happen?

He got knocked back from a blow if that counts.

Creatures that fall unconscious on a cage get trapped. You'll need to connect it to a lever to release him.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15164 on: September 20, 2011, 09:33:18 am »

My axedwarfs won't equip their shields.  I'm using a custom uniform, set to partial matches.  They've equipped the other items in their uniform. The shields aren't forbidden in the stocks screen.  They've had plenty of time to pick them up. Any ideas?

Off the top of my head, some possible causes:
1)  Is the uniform set to 'Wear over clothing' or 'Replace clothing'?  Sometimes 'Wear over clothing' has issues when they can't fit everything.  Try 'Replace clothing.'
2)  Perhaps those shields are already assigned to another slot in one of your squads, even if that slot is currently empty?  Try building a dozen more wooden shields (work just as well at blocking, but not bashing) and see if that helps. 
3) Try issuing that squad a 'move' order via the 's'quad menu.  Often this is the only way I get my militia to equip things, and often they do it right when a siege happens :(.
4) BLUH BLUH HUGE BURROWS.  Are they restricted to burrows/ otherwise unable to reach the shields?

Good luck.
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1178