Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127064 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14385 on: August 16, 2011, 11:49:40 am »

What do you mean?
By snapshot do you mean like taking a screenshot? If so press the print screen button on your keyboard (usualy abriviated to prt scr) and then open paint and use paste to get the image.
Then to crop it, just use paint and extract that small bit of image you want.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14386 on: August 16, 2011, 12:29:24 pm »

Which is more useful: artifact steel axe, or spoiler-metal masterwork axe?  It would seem like there wouldn't be much additional advantage from spoiler-metal over steel for edged, since steel is already sharper than everything, and baddies never wear steel armor. How am I wrong about that?
They're both good. The steel axe would get an accuracy bonus from its artifact status, and the bluemetal axe would be better at cutting.

Are swordsdwarfs a good investment?
I'm thinking of training a bunch for general military but if they are fuck-all useless then I'm going with axes or something.
Swords hit internal organs more often than axes (let me show you my stabs), but are less likely to lop off limbs.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14387 on: August 16, 2011, 12:31:07 pm »

What do you mean?
By snapshot do you mean like taking a screenshot? If so press the print screen button on your keyboard (usualy abriviated to prt scr) and then open paint and use paste to get the image.

Alternatively you can hit Alt+PrtScrn and it will just capture the active window (i.e. the DF window) rather than the entire screen.  You can then use Paint for further (manual) cropping, as Saint said.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

pushingdwarves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14388 on: August 16, 2011, 12:39:24 pm »

Started playing this weekend. Haven't got much else done since. Oh boy...

Anyway, some newbie questions:

Is there any way to increase the number of rows in menus? My monitor could easily show 4 times as many entries. I tried messing with the init/d_init files, and that increased the window size on startup, but the menus are still the same size. :(

Also, is there a way to set gem cutters to cut whatever gems are available? At the moment I'm going to the stocks menu, taking a screenshot, pasting it into IrfanView, cropping out everything that's not gems, then going to the manager menu and entering work orders according to what I see on the screenshot. Not what I would call effective. >.<

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14389 on: August 16, 2011, 12:50:10 pm »

Gem shops only show what you have available.
Just go to the shop, order a gem cut, put it on [r]epeat, then do it again until you have ten different kinds of gem being cut.

BornInATrailer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14390 on: August 16, 2011, 01:31:30 pm »

This one is probably really obvious.  I searched the forums and wiki, perhaps not enough, and can only seem to find reference to doing it but not how to do it:

How do you assign animals to different dwarves?

I have a pile of war dogs and war jaguars.  They all follow around the trainer in a giant whirling dog/cat fracas.  I'd like to assign them to other people (like give each squad member a dog).  How is this done?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14391 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:46 pm »

You can only assign trained animals (war animal or hunting animal).
To do that locate a dwarf with the v command an select p for properties and e for work animals. Then you will see a list with assignable animals from wich you can choose.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:36:54 pm by Laurin »

BornInATrailer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14392 on: August 16, 2011, 02:13:05 pm »

THANK YOU

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14393 on: August 16, 2011, 03:42:40 pm »

Hmm, I have a tame giant capybara and my main trainer (rather low level) has tried at least twice to train it for war but every time he gets hungry, thirsty AND drowsy before he's finished. This leads me to believe that it takes a really long time to train it but I always thought all training takes roughly the same time?

Maybe I should just chain the capybeastie aside for a while and let the trainer practice on the pack of dogs I still have yipping and barking about. Expertise should lower training time, no?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14394 on: August 16, 2011, 06:43:06 pm »

^ Expertise/Experience always decreases time to do the job, for animal training it does help a LOT. Maybe your trainer gets tired quick? Since he/she is low level, why not shift him/her out for a better dwarf?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you mean?

Alternatively you can hit Alt+PrtScrn and it will just capture the active window (i.e. the DF window) rather than the entire screen.  You can then use Paint for further (manual) cropping, as Saint said.

Thanks for that  :D Now how do you upload it straight here? I do not get the image insert thing.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14395 on: August 16, 2011, 06:53:38 pm »

First, host it at an image hosting site (I use imageshack).
Then get the picture url and put it between img tags. It should look like this:
[ img ]image.jpg[ /img ]

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14396 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:09 pm »

Do statues block off rooms the same way walls do?  Specifically, can I mine a square out of a shared wall between bedrooms, build a statue there, and expand the rooms to cover it without the room overlap penalty?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14397 on: August 16, 2011, 08:06:08 pm »

Do statues block off rooms the same way walls do?  Specifically, can I mine a square out of a shared wall between bedrooms, build a statue there, and expand the rooms to cover it without the room overlap penalty?
I'm pretty sure they don't block room designation. I could be wrong.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14398 on: August 16, 2011, 09:22:51 pm »

What files would I have to go about tampering with in order to add elven liaisons back into my game? I want to have an actual fight with these hippies instead of an outright slaughter.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14399 on: August 16, 2011, 09:26:03 pm »

I have a little question - I've seen lots of folks talk about equipping a specific dwarf with a specific weapon - how do you do that? For instance, I just got a bunch of iron weapons from the goblins I sacrificed my military to, and I want the newbs to use iron instead of the copper I started with. How to?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 1178