Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127064 times)

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms are dangerous!
« Reply #14370 on: August 14, 2011, 10:07:41 pm »

I'm creating danger rooms which are barracks, and using 10 wooden TRAINING spears (and yes I have confirmed, more than once, that they are training spears that were used), I assign a squad or two, and some of them die, often within a minute or two.

What do you mean by "ten training spears"? Is that ten total in the whole room, or ten in each trap? If it's the latter, you're increasing the damage the trap causes, which may be the problem. I put one wooden spear in each of my traps, and it seems to work fine. Although it it still possible for a dwarf to get skewered. And beware of pets/children wandering in as well. It's safer to put the danger room behind an always-closed/not-locked door.

Yes, 10 in total in the one Spear Trap. Will just having one be as effective? I guess not killing dwarfs would have to be better. :)
And I already have the room behind a door that is no-pet, but that doesn't stop some slipping through and meeting a nasty fate, along with the babies that are carried in...

I just disassembled the trap and rebuilt it with one spear. All but one of the training spears was of Masterful quality, and one is only Superior, so I put just that one back in the rebuilt trap. Lever pulling has just recommenced... Stay tuned for possible casualty reports. :)

I have an update on this, in the event that there is a small chance someone is interested. :)

Since the addition of cloaks to the uniforms, and the use of the lowest quality level of wooden training spears I have had zero deaths in the danger rooms.
I have been closely watching the combat reports, and a significant number of spear hits are being deflected by their cloaks. Perhaps this is simply because they are the outer covering and so get hit first, but who knows?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms are dangerous!
« Reply #14371 on: August 14, 2011, 11:17:29 pm »

Since the addition of cloaks to the uniforms, and the use of the lowest quality level of wooden training spears I have had zero deaths in the danger rooms.
I have been closely watching the combat reports, and a significant number of spear hits are being deflected by their cloaks. Perhaps this is simply because they are the outer covering and so get hit first, but who knows?

Yeah, it's that they're the outer layer.  But the cloaks are important, because there are vital bits (notably, throats) that can't get covered except by clothing.

Glad to hear your problem's all solved.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

thor82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14372 on: August 15, 2011, 08:58:59 am »

Around what depth should i find metal ores? i'm about at -15, but still nothing, is this normal?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14373 on: August 15, 2011, 10:55:24 am »

Depends on the embark.
Did the embark screen say Shallow Metal(s) or Deep Metal(s)? If not, you have no metel.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14374 on: August 15, 2011, 03:19:02 pm »

i am actually using Gold Plate tileset, and i see strange stuff from time to time, for example: i engraved a room, and here are the results:

http://twitpic.com/65jhly

is this an error i did, or i should change tileset? if yes, which one do you suggest me to use?

Well, that's pretty much how engravings work in "ASCII" too.  This is why I don't engrave walls -- I like to be able to see where the walls are.  I only engrave the floors, and if I want stuff to be pretty, then I only engrave the floors that are under furniture.

Yeah, it might be the you are seeing the difference between engraved floor and engraved wall. If you only want engraved walls (or floors) you should only select them.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14375 on: August 15, 2011, 03:44:17 pm »

We've had version 0.31.25 as the latest since march. I'd like to do a megaproject, but I don't want to have a new version come out partway through. Has Toady said anything about how long this will be the current version? The long amount of time since an update could mean that this version is here for a long time (like with 40d), but it could also mean that a new one is coming very soon.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14376 on: August 15, 2011, 04:18:31 pm »

i am actually using Gold Plate tileset, and i see strange stuff from time to time, for example: i engraved a room, and here are the results:

http://twitpic.com/65jhly

is this an error i did, or i should change tileset? if yes, which one do you suggest me to use?

Well, that's pretty much how engravings work in "ASCII" too.  This is why I don't engrave walls -- I like to be able to see where the walls are.  I only engrave the floors, and if I want stuff to be pretty, then I only engrave the floors that are under furniture.

Yeah, it might be the you are seeing the difference between engraved floor and engraved wall. If you only want engraved walls (or floors) you should only select them.

In your d_init file, change [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO] to yes. This makes engraved walls/floors look like they were smooth instead.

Further, I'm PRETTY sure that there's an option somewhere in-game (the 'd' menu?) to show/obscure particular engravings- that way you can hide the ones you don't want to see, and keep the pretty/amusing ones visible for aesthetic purposes.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14377 on: August 15, 2011, 04:36:29 pm »

i wonder.... can you construct floors over engraved floors and still get the value boost, while eliminating the art tiles??
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14378 on: August 15, 2011, 05:15:18 pm »

I don't think so, but I think building roads works.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14379 on: August 16, 2011, 06:38:53 am »

Is there any way to rename dwarfs?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14380 on: August 16, 2011, 07:30:20 am »

Is there any way to rename dwarfs?

You can give them nicknames and nickname their professions, but you can't change their name proper.

You do it through the dwarf's status screen.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14381 on: August 16, 2011, 08:03:47 am »

in the init files you can make nicknames replace the names of dwarves

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14382 on: August 16, 2011, 08:20:09 am »

Which is more useful: artifact steel axe, or spoiler-metal masterwork axe?  It would seem like there wouldn't be much additional advantage from spoiler-metal over steel for edged, since steel is already sharper than everything, and baddies never wear steel armor. How am I wrong about that?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14383 on: August 16, 2011, 10:44:54 am »

Are swordsdwarfs a good investment?
I'm thinking of training a bunch for general military but if they are fuck-all useless then I'm going with axes or something.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14384 on: August 16, 2011, 11:38:53 am »

Small question that I think may not even belong here.

How does one get a snapshot then crop it to match the size of the DF window and post it on the forums? I've seen beautifully made pictures out there and have no idea whatsoever on how they got it that way.
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1178