Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125413 times)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12990 on: July 04, 2011, 02:57:15 am »

I find it funny, because this dwarf should've been able to reach the well. Every other dwarf is using it. Oh *well*.

EDIT: One more thing... are trap avoiders immune to menacing spike traps activating at their feet?
Nope, spike traps work great on them. :)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12991 on: July 04, 2011, 03:08:56 am »

I find it funny, because this dwarf should've been able to reach the well. Every other dwarf is using it. Oh *well*.

EDIT: One more thing... are trap avoiders immune to menacing spike traps activating at their feet?
Nope, spike traps work great on them. :)

Nice to hear. I'm ramping up my wood and glass spike production (since I've heard even wood spikes work surprisingly well) and creating a whole bunch of traps to decimate enemy armies. If kobolds can be dealt with with the same weapons, so be it!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12992 on: July 04, 2011, 03:09:15 am »

Whats the best/most efficient use of platinum? Crafts for sale? Furniture? ect.

I actually like to use my platinum bars for my entrance bridge. If you've trained up your Architect you can get CRAZY value out of a big platinum bridge. Platinum's also magma-safe, so if your front entrance has a magma trap, platinum's an even better choice.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12993 on: July 04, 2011, 04:26:22 am »

Burrows? Locked doors? Raised bridges? Can walk? Has hands?
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12994 on: July 04, 2011, 04:28:04 am »

The only burrow that could've limited the dwarf should've kept the entire population away from the well, no raised bridges, he walked well enough and had at least some kind of hands to beat people with when he had a tantrum.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12995 on: July 04, 2011, 04:35:32 am »

The only burrow that could've limited the dwarf should've kept the entire population away from the well, no raised bridges, he walked well enough and had at least some kind of hands to beat people with when he had a tantrum.

Sorry, I misread your post, thought you meant that he spammed job cancellation from not reaching well.

Some of my dwarves have complained about the lack of well, although I should have booze readily available and I even do have a well that's designated as a water source an is being used by some dwarves. What gives?

That's nothing to worry about, in a month or two he will notice that there is a well and that should be taken care.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12996 on: July 04, 2011, 04:44:31 am »

Actually, my fortress is quite *well*-off. I have a lot of goods to sell! With my massive fortune, why, I could build... another well.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12997 on: July 04, 2011, 06:39:55 am »

Not a question but something I thought some of you possibly might find useful.
I assigned a uniform to my military that includes metal high boots. But for some reason I only ever found dwarves wearing one high boot. Until recently I thought that was because I didn't have enough metal high boots (there isn't any metal on my map, need to buy/loot it all) but then I made a whole bunch of them and there should've been more then enough boots for all.
For gauntles, mittens, socks, and other things that come in pairs it is enough to include them only once into the uniform to get the dwarves to wear a pair. But apparently, for boots you need to equip two of them.
E.g. a uniform consisting of
sock
high boot
will give you a naked dwarf wearing a sock on each foot but only one high boot. You need to add another high boot to get him to equip a pair.

I don't know whether that's common knowledge but at least for me that wasn't obvious from the wiki.

juro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12998 on: July 04, 2011, 08:05:26 am »

I had a strange thing occur recently when I set one of my military squads to kill a rabbit. Reading the report on the battle, a recruit who was armed with a masterwork silver warhammer started attacking the rabbit, which was soon knocked unconscious, without uch damage being done. The recruit then started focussing on finishing the critter off by pounding him in the head. All he could manage though was to bruise the fat. Bang bang bang. He just couldn't get through to the brain. How pathetic was this guy? Maybe he had taken the wrong career path and should have concentrated on dying silk for the rest of his life.

Soon another recruit turned up. Same thing, bang bang bang. Every hit was to the head. All that was accomplished was more ruised fat. Before long, the reasonably experienced squad leader turned up and I thought he would give an excellent demonstration on how to turn brains into mush. Nope, this rabbit sure was a hard nut to crack. Soon, there were about 10 hammerdwarves of varying ability, all pounding him in the head but not getting anywhere.

Eventually the rabbit woke up, looked up at the flurry of silver hammers, and tried to get out of there. Now the dwarves had to try aiming for somewhere besides the rabbit's head, and all of a sudden, bones were breaking with every hit. Didn't take more than a few hits for the whole thing to be over after that.

So what was going on? It has only happened to me once that I have noticed. Was this just a bunny with an extra thick skull or a very fat head? Is this a known bug?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12999 on: July 04, 2011, 08:21:50 am »

I assigned a uniform to my military that includes metal high boots. But for some reason I only ever found dwarves wearing one high boot. Until recently I thought that was because I didn't have enough metal high boots (there isn't any metal on my map, need to buy/loot it all) but then I made a whole bunch of them and there should've been more then enough boots for all.
For gauntles, mittens, socks, and other things that come in pairs it is enough to include them only once into the uniform to get the dwarves to wear a pair. But apparently, for boots you need to equip two of them.
sock
high boot
will give you a naked dwarf wearing a sock on each foot but only one high boot. You need to add another high boot to get him to equip a pair.

I don't know whether that's common knowledge but at least for me that wasn't obvious from the wiki.

I just checked my military dwarves.  All of then are successfully wearing two boots without me actually having to tell them two wear two.  However, I have their uniform set to 'metal footwear' rather than specifically telling them to wear individual boots, so perhaps that's treated differently.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13000 on: July 04, 2011, 08:28:35 am »

sock
high boot

I think the socks just confuse them.  Do you also see one-booted dwarves if the only footwear in the uniform is a single pair of high boots?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13001 on: July 04, 2011, 08:30:53 am »

sock
high boot

I heard that used to be a major issue in pre-.18 versions, because they would take multiple items for one side. I'm playing .18 and they're wearing both boots with only one boot set on the uniform assignment. I does still see occasional problem with sock being piled twice up on one foot, still, though, even with uniform replace. So check to see if both socks are on same foot, since that'll stop them from putting boots on that side.

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13002 on: July 04, 2011, 09:14:26 am »

So, can anyone tell me what the point of siege engineers/weapons are? I thought the whole point of siege was to lay siege to something, but I have yet to find anything to lay siege to.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13003 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:32 am »

They're for defensive use. Besieging other places have not been implemented yet, but it's planned.
Love, scriver~

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13004 on: July 04, 2011, 09:53:46 am »

They're for defensive use. Besieging other places have not been implemented yet, but it's planned.

and when it comes into play, i'll ask if we can throw with the catapult also cages, which crash upon hit...think about the possibilities.
Geese-apocalypse throwing. Forgotten beast throwing. DWARVEN THROWING OF DOOM. "it's raining dwarfs! alleluja!"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 1178