Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125152 times)

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12960 on: July 03, 2011, 02:34:56 am »

Yet another question, more or less a follow up to my last one. I've had a spreading infection in my fortress, but I managed to contain it and after burying all the pets that died, most of the dwarves are happy again.
But although he was treated, my best swords dwarf still has an infection. He won't go to the hospital, so in the long run he'll just die from it.

So I want to get him injured again, maybe then he'll get a proper treatment for the infection as well. I set him up in one-on-one fights with a few (armed and armored) goblins that I had caught, but he just trampled them in the ground in an instant, without even getting a blister (his nickname isn't Goblin Gnasher for no reason - he's basically a one-man army).

Any suggestions how I could injure him enough to get him into the hospital without killing him? I don't want to drop him down somewhere, risking that he has to use a crutch afterwards, if I can avoid it.

Is there a chance that this'll work at all (i.e. will his infection be treated if I get him into the hospital somehow)?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: July 03, 2011, 03:00:21 am »

Yet another question, more or less a follow up to my last one. I've had a spreading infection in my fortress, but I managed to contain it and after burying all the pets that died, most of the dwarves are happy again.
But although he was treated, my best swords dwarf still has an infection. He won't go to the hospital, so in the long run he'll just die from it.

So I want to get him injured again, maybe then he'll get a proper treatment for the infection as well. I set him up in one-on-one fights with a few (armed and armored) goblins that I had caught, but he just trampled them in the ground in an instant, without even getting a blister (his nickname isn't Goblin Gnasher for no reason - he's basically a one-man army).

Any suggestions how I could injure him enough to get him into the hospital without killing him? I don't want to drop him down somewhere, risking that he has to use a crutch afterwards, if I can avoid it.

Is there a chance that this'll work at all (i.e. will his infection be treated if I get him into the hospital somehow)?
set him to his own squad.  make his uniform naked, so he takes his armor off.  set up an upright spear trap using training spears.  link this trap to some sort of repeater (pressure plate in a busy area, level pull on repeat, etc.  make sure to build this out of the way.  station the lone dwarf on the trap.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12962 on: July 03, 2011, 04:27:01 am »

Does water activate pressure plates? If yes, at what depth?
Yes, and you must choose how much pressure the plate triggers on.
Details at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Pressure_plate

Really, spreading infection? I didn't think it was in .31.25.
Soap and wound cleaning labor and ... dorf's "disease resistance" parameter are involved.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12963 on: July 03, 2011, 06:10:31 am »

set him to his own squad.  make his uniform naked, so he takes his armor off.  set up an upright spear trap using training spears.  link this trap to some sort of repeater (pressure plate in a busy area, level pull on repeat, etc.  make sure to build this out of the way.  station the lone dwarf on the trap.
I'll try that, thank you. Might be a good setup for getting some volunteers for medical training, too.
Really, spreading infection? I didn't think it was in .31.25.
Soap and wound cleaning labor and ... dorf's "disease resistance" parameter are involved.
Well, that's what seemed to be happening. My hospital is fully stocked including soap, buckets, and access to water, and I have four full-time medics/nurses.
I realised that something was going on when I suddenly caught one of my dwarves in a cage trap. He was spreading miasma because of rotting feet. I looked around and found a few cats with the same syndrome. After that, I butchered a whole lot of kittens and puppies and assigned the rest to pens on the surface, 3-4 animals/pen, and tried to separate the ill animals. But in some of the "healthy" pens an animal would get ill and then at least another animal would get ill as well (a few of the pens died out completely), while in other pens, none of the animals got ill. A lot of my dwarves were ill, too.

I only opened up the first cavern layer and I completely secured an area there, nothing can come in, not even flying FBs. While this whole mess FUN was happening, tho, I had to dig a new cistern for my hospital well (luckily, I have a second well in my meeting area) because a child had fallen in.
In the process, I had to open up a wall to the unsecured part of the cavern, so I stationed a squad there and restricted traffic in the area. After it was all done, without any FBs coming near, I let my squad go. After that, there was suddenly a splatter of FB goo* where the squad had been. It was on top of a newly built floor tile, so it must've gotten there while the squad was standing there. I looked at all dwarves that entered the area during the building process and sure enough, one of my squad members had rotten feet, too. So I assume that he must've left the infectious goo there.

My conclusion is that somehow a cat got infected, maybe before the cavern was closed off (the first dwarf that got ill was a legendary planter, with all hauling skills but food disabled, who probably never had been to the cavern layer), and left piles of infectious goo for other animals and dwarves to step in, who then in turn got infected and infectious.
Alternatively, I'm imagining things. I wouldn't exclude that outright, I've been ill at home with nothing much else to do than playing DF, so I might've overdone it a bit...

tl;dr: But it looked like a spreading infection. So, there.

* An FB who is still around, btw, so it couldn't have been from the FBs I already killed. That was my first guess, that an FB corpse was causing the infection.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12964 on: July 03, 2011, 06:41:35 am »

Is there such a thing as a "hell gate" in dwarf fortress ??

I remember a cousin who introduce the game to me said that if you dig deep enough, you can actually uncover a gate to hell with are some very very powerful demon in it.

I have never seen it myself, but are quite interested about it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12965 on: July 03, 2011, 06:57:52 am »

He might have been referring to this. Only read if you want to be spoiled, though. If I were you, I'd just keep on playing until you run into one - they're not very uncommon. It's a lot funnier that way, in my opinion at least.
Love, scriver~

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12966 on: July 03, 2011, 07:31:06 am »

I will make conquering this Hell fortress to be the aim of my next Embark !!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: July 03, 2011, 08:39:00 am »

sure you will just dont throw your computer
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: July 03, 2011, 08:49:59 am »

On "Spreading Infections," especially in relation to rotting feet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: July 03, 2011, 09:16:43 am »

as for the iron bar...it was aleardy at the forge when he claimed the forge so he insta-claimed it when he took the shop.

You might be misinterpreting what you're seeing.  Moody dwarves don't typically claim what's in the workshop when they commandeer it (unless it happens to be the thing they need first).  If the bar inside the workshop is marked TSK, that could simply mean that someone's going to haul it to a stockpile.  Or, it could mean that the moody dwarf did indeed claim it.

Quote from: TomiTapio
Need "nest box" items (mason can make)

Stonecrafter, not Mason.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:21:20 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: July 03, 2011, 10:27:22 am »

On "Spreading Infections," especially in relation to rotting feet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now that I think about it, none of the children died in my fort (besides that one that fell down the well) or were even ill. Strange...

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: July 03, 2011, 11:25:45 am »

Is there any way to encourage the elves to bring me specific animals? They brought me a giant tiger and I'd really like to complete the breeding pair. Also, can I reduce the amount of cloth they bring?

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: July 03, 2011, 11:43:49 am »

In world generation, what's the difference gameplay-wise in how many years play out before I start my game?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: July 03, 2011, 12:22:56 pm »

Ok, I just had my first siege. Was a bit surprising, because I had no ambushes before. Now I've got a question:

I've got about 8 goblin prisoners, whom I'd like to execute in my arena. How can I ensure they're no longer armed?

Also, how do I engrave a slab for the brave useless migrant who decided to end his worthless life with the goblins?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: July 03, 2011, 12:27:39 pm »

Ok, I just had my first siege. Was a bit surprising, because I had no ambushes before. Now I've got a question:

I've got about 8 goblin prisoners, whom I'd like to execute in my arena. How can I ensure they're no longer armed?

Also, how do I engrave a slab for the brave useless migrant who decided to end his worthless life with the goblins?

Prisoners -

Use d-b-c and then d-b-d over all the cages. Your people will take everything in the cages out, put it in the dump, and then dump the cages. Then, after everything is dumped, undump the cages. You'll have naked unarmed goblins in your cages with their equipment in your dump.

Slab -

Make a slab at the mason's shop, engrave it at the craftsdwarves, build it wherever you want the hall.
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 1178