Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124840 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12735 on: June 27, 2011, 08:05:52 am »

A well constructed with an artifact chain, mechanism, or bucket will give dwarves who use it happy thoughts, from having admired such a wonderful well.

Traction benches can't be made from artifact tables or ropes/chains.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12736 on: June 27, 2011, 08:33:39 am »

I was in the middle of setting up my adamantine industry when a massive goblin siege caught me with my pants down. Here's what they brought:
-48 Goblins
  -30 Goblin Swordsmen
  -15 Goblin Crossbowmen
  -1 Elite Goblin Crossbowman
  -1 Goblin Pikemaster
  -1 Goblin Spearmaster
-15 Rutherers
-8 Trolls
-16 Giant Cave Swallows
-16 Elk Birds

I walled off my entrance, so they're all loitering outside. I'm planning to route the Goblins, trolls and rutherers down a long hallway filled with enough cage traps to hold them all. How should I deal with the birds? I have access to plenty of wood, adamantine or recruits, essentially infinite stone and metal, and most workshops set up.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12737 on: June 27, 2011, 08:44:34 am »

I was in the middle of setting up my adamantine industry when a massive goblin siege caught me with my pants down. Here's what they brought:
-48 Goblins
  -30 Goblin Swordsmen
  -15 Goblin Crossbowmen
  -1 Elite Goblin Crossbowman
  -1 Goblin Pikemaster
  -1 Goblin Spearmaster
-15 Rutherers
-8 Trolls
-16 Giant Cave Swallows
-16 Elk Birds

I walled off my entrance, so they're all loitering outside. I'm planning to route the Goblins, trolls and rutherers down a long hallway filled with enough cage traps to hold them all. How should I deal with the birds? I have access to plenty of wood, adamantine or recruits, essentially infinite stone and metal, and most workshops set up.

Have a few trained crossbowiers shoot the birds, make fortification if they're not experienced to shoot through.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12738 on: June 27, 2011, 09:13:35 am »

Have a few trained crossbowiers shoot the birds, make fortification if they're not experienced to shoot through.

I don't actually have a squad of crossbowiers yet, if I draft some useless migrants will they be able to get the job done?

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12739 on: June 27, 2011, 09:41:56 am »

How do i install a mod on DF? i downloaded a mod but i dont know how to get it in the game.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12740 on: June 27, 2011, 10:14:54 am »

I don't actually have a squad of crossbowiers yet, if I draft some useless migrants will they be able to get the job done?

Usually does for me, just have a LOT of bone bolts, and carve fortifications. I've had luck in slaughtering elk birds with hunters using bone and leather gears drafted in, myself. Can't speak for cave sparrows, never having to stalk them down myself. Do watch out for other creatures, though! Some of them are more vicious and will brutalize the migrants one on one.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12741 on: June 27, 2011, 10:49:21 am »

Can someone answer my question?

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12742 on: June 27, 2011, 11:06:27 am »

Can someone answer my question?

This one?
How do i install a mod on DF? i downloaded a mod but i dont know how to get it in the game.

Depends on the mod. Most of the time simply rename your raw folder and copy the one from the mod in its place, then when you want to go back to vanilla DF delete the modded raw folder and replace it with the backed-up copy.
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12743 on: June 27, 2011, 11:14:15 am »

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12744 on: June 27, 2011, 12:06:28 pm »

No problem.

Would setting [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:1][CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:1]
still work? (I'm using the caverns for mechanics (walled off of course) and so don't want a lot of water)
I don't think so. Try min 12 max 12.
It works with 12, but not 1. Thanks!

And now for a question of my own:
I have a dwarf who got injured by a giant toad. It says "Her left upper arm is dented"; on the (w)ounds screen it shows her left and right upper arms as yellow, and in the health screen it says "Ability to grasp lost. Motor nerve damage. Sensory nerve damage.". Anything I've tried to assign her to creates job cancellation spam - "too injured". Will she heal? And what is she useful for?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12745 on: June 27, 2011, 12:13:13 pm »

No problem.

still work? (I'm using the caverns for mechanics (walled off of course) and so don't want a lot of water)

I have a dwarf who got injured by a giant toad. It says "Her left upper arm is dented"; on the (w)ounds screen it shows her left and right upper arms as yellow, and in the health screen it says "Ability to grasp lost. Motor nerve damage. Sensory nerve damage.". Anything I've tried to assign her to creates job cancellation spam - "too injured". Will she heal? And what is she useful for?

Hrm, both arms nonfunctional?  She sounds like a PERFECT sheriff.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12746 on: June 27, 2011, 12:30:07 pm »

Why will some .ogg files work for replacing the music, but some won't?

Is there something i'm not understanding here? I tried to switch the song_game to a different song then the one I put there for it, and it'd just play the title music...
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12747 on: June 27, 2011, 12:35:39 pm »

No problem.

Hrm, both arms nonfunctional?  She sounds like a PERFECT sheriff.

Good idea...

Why will some .ogg files work for replacing the music, but some won't?

Is there something i'm not understanding here? I tried to switch the song_game to a different song then the one I put there for it, and it'd just play the title music...

Just guessing here, but .ogg is a container format not an audio format. Perhaps the audio itself is encoded in a format that DF can't read.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12748 on: June 27, 2011, 01:04:08 pm »

Have you tried putting your squad off training/active and on civilian assignment?
That's why they're training in the first place. Dwarves who aren't actively training or following orders (ie. dwarves not listed in the right-hand column on the z screen) will go and do individual combat drills in their downtime as long as they're assigned to a barracks. Generally this is a positive thing since it keeps their skills up without giving them bad thoughts about long duty, but I'd like more control over them since military dwarves run rings around the average hauler.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12749 on: June 27, 2011, 02:19:30 pm »

is there a way to prevent caravan from getting massacred 1 second after they enter the map ?

they ALWAYS get ambushed instantly after I press the resume button !

another thing, is there any other way to train close range fighter effectively WITHOUT using a danger room ??
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1178