Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125693 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12345 on: June 12, 2011, 10:13:25 pm »

Is hematite a magma safe material?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: June 12, 2011, 10:15:58 pm »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12347 on: June 12, 2011, 11:27:41 pm »

working on my first danger room.
Some questions.
I know about setting patroll routes through that room. But I'd rather just set a move order to there when ever I feel like. But I cant seem to do the move command with directions on the wiki.

Can I link all the spikes to a single lever?

If i define a burrow for the room opperator (lever puller) in the room with the lever. Aside from a bed, food, booze, place to eat, what else does the opperator need to live?
halp plz kai thx

Bed, coffer & chest for personal clothing it will collect.  A few statues and engravings.  Table and chairs.  Food & drink.  Let them be the manager and bookkeeper as well.  Allow other dwarves access and set up a meeting area, so they can have some company.

You have already done pretty much all you need to, but giving them the bookkeeper / manager jobs will let them be useful while there are no levers to pull.  Giving them access to other dwarves is no big deal, but I like my dwarves to be social.  Giving them engraved walls and floors and nice stuff will help them stay happy.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12348 on: June 13, 2011, 12:17:54 am »

To order guys around, use {s} and select the squad you want to move using {a}, {b}, {c}, etc. with the squad name next to it.

Then press {m}, or you can look around at the bottom bar of options, and then move the cursor around until you have it where you want your dorfs to go, then press enter once. They'll finish whatever they're doing and move there.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: June 13, 2011, 12:38:45 am »

Already answered but I wanted to put this link in.

This is the reference page I go to more than any other:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:The_Non-Dwarf%27s_Guide_to_Rock

When you have lots of Phyllite or something different and don't know if it has any special properties, check the guide.  Probably the most useful page on the Wiki, IMHO.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: June 13, 2011, 12:55:27 am »

It's also Iron Ore, don't waste it.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12351 on: June 13, 2011, 01:01:36 am »

may I ask what pieve of armor I should be making for my dwarfs ?

I FINALLY learn how to forge steel, however with all the different kinds of armor, I dont know what is considered good.

May I ask for some suggestions ?

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12352 on: June 13, 2011, 01:09:15 am »

I FINALLY learn how to forge steel, however with all the different kinds of armor, I dont know what is considered good.

If you have the time, material and working capacity, make steel armor, no question about it. It's the best what you can get in masses when you have the ores. Only Adamantine is better.

Do as much metal armor as you can get. in rising quality order: copper, bronze, iron, steel, adamantine.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Zhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12353 on: June 13, 2011, 01:12:21 am »

Each dorf can use

3 Mail Shirts
1 Breast Plate
1 Pair Boots
1 Pair Gauntlets
1 Greaves
1 Helm

A hood and Cloak will also fit over the armor
More info here   http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Armor
Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pick of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Catten: Hit it.
Damn you vile character limit!!!

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12354 on: June 13, 2011, 01:14:11 am »

What I mean is, what KIND of armor should I be making (making a squad of Close range fighter)

Breastplate or Mail shirt ?

Greaves or Leggings ?

I think you know what I mean lol

Edit - thanks for the help !

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12355 on: June 13, 2011, 01:21:38 am »

Ok. this is listed http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armor#Size.2C_Permit.2C_and_layering_armor which gives you a list of the maximum you can equip a dwarf with, to give the most protection.
But initially you want to make your military dwarves at least a chainmail shirt and helm, of the best quality metal you have. Only have copper, then use it. Upgrade it once you have better metals available. This offers the most protection from 2 items.
The list I build in is mail shirt -> helm -> shield -> greaves -> gauntlets - boots (high boots if you can) -> leather stuff (cloaks, hoods, mittens etc etc)
**Note on shields** Shields don't have to be made out of metal if you don't have enough. Wood is perfectly fine, just make sure they have one.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12356 on: June 13, 2011, 02:20:20 am »

But initially you want to make your military dwarves at least a chainmail shirt and helm, of the best quality metal you have. Only have copper, then use it. Upgrade it once you have better metals available. This offers the most protection from 2 items.
The list I build in is mail shirt -> helm -> shield -> greaves -> gauntlets - boots (high boots if you can) -> leather stuff (cloaks, hoods, mittens etc etc)
**Note on shields** Shields don't have to be made out of metal if you don't have enough. Wood is perfectly fine, just make sure they have one.

Sorry, I'm a bit fuzzy on this too.  Following the link, if I start with a naked dwarf I should first equip a breastplate, then three mail shirts, and finally 6 leather cloaks?  Presumably I should do it in that order also.  Do the mail shirts need to be added separately?  As in, I should equip one, let him put it on, equip the next, and so on?  Or can I just add 3 mail shirts and that's good?

Thanks for the help, I need to beef up my guys before sending them out to die.

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12357 on: June 13, 2011, 02:36:55 am »

Just create a custom uniform ('n' i think in the military screen)with the equipment in the order you want the dwarves to put it on. If you go by that list it will tell you the order to put them on. Unders -> armor -> overs
So for upper body:
Mail Shirt
Mail Shirt
Mail Shirt
Breastplate
Cloak x 6

for legs:
Trousers
Greaves
etc etc

Then just assign the uniform to your dwarf squad. Generally they will stand around doing nothing afterwards (not equipping gear etc). The way to fix this is go into the squad menu 's', and just give them a simple move order ('m') to any random place. This will force the dwarves to check their equipment and equip anything they don't have. Once they have all shown up and the move order spot, cancel the order 'o' and your military is good to go.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12358 on: June 13, 2011, 03:21:47 am »

Thank you so much for that.  I've been creating a masterwork armor room, so I'll strip them outside, lock them in and assign the uniforms.  At least I don't have to add each bit individually.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: June 13, 2011, 03:50:52 am »

The six cloak uniforms are a bit of a blast from the past, just because they can wear them doesnt mean you should really bother.  When outfitting your young military this means your militia commander is going to claim the first six cloaks from your leatherworks, you could have covered more than half a squad with that leather.  In the early game i'd strongly advise against this kind of duplication, especially if you dont yet have a steady leather supply.

Which pieces you make depends on the ratio of metal:leather you want really.  Anyone who is expecting to be hit with weapons of any kind should have metal armour, leather is better used for animal defense (and then only smaller animals !not badgers!)

Mail shirt and helm should be priority.  These two cover the main insta-kill hit locations (and mail shirt covers more than breastplate so should come first)
Next up is your choice, but for melee warriors you probably want mainly metal.  If you have high boots then you can do chain leggings and high boot, if you only have low boot then you should do greaves instead of chain legging (again for coverage reasons, leggings + low boot leaves a gap).  High boot and greaves also works fine.
Gauntlets for hands and you just have breastplates to add over the mail shirts :)

You can also put some leather under metal pieces to add protection (mainly vs blunt).
Leather trousers can go under greaves, leather mittens under gauntlets, leather cap under helm.  You can put leather armour (body armour) under a mail shirt but not under a breastplate.  If you want faster dwarves you can swap metal pieces for leather and more layers, but no amount of leather is going to save dwarves even from a copper edge or the teeth of something larger-than-dwarf.

ALWAYS have a leather hood and leather cloak on every soldier.  The hood is the only item in the vanilla game that is throat armor (also face parts like lip/cheek), it sucks, but what can you do?  The cloak is also the only armour piece for a bunch of weird locations like fingers and toes.

Summary: My Recommendation
Leather Hood, Metal Helm, Leather Cap
Metal Mail Shirt, Metal Breastplate, Leather Cloak
Leather Mitten, Metal Gauntlet
Leather Trousers, Metal Greaves
Metal High Boot

Oh, and shields, always give em shields (wood is fine)

Incidentally, My main use of leather armour is on the 10 or so squads of drafted haulers.  They never train or fight, its just a convenient way to armour your seige cleanup crew while letting them run away fast :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:05:16 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1178