Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125716 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12330 on: June 12, 2011, 12:27:22 pm »

Can walls be build from above on an up/down staircase? Like;
X
X
X
X
X<
C
X
X
X

X=up/down stairs
C=Wall to be constructed
<=Where I want my dwarf to stand when he builds the wall.

Also, will a well stop water flowing up?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12331 on: June 12, 2011, 12:30:15 pm »

I believe that it's yes for the stairs/wall question.

I know that it's no for the well question.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: June 12, 2011, 03:27:47 pm »

working on my first danger room.
Some questions.
I know about setting patroll routes through that room. But I'd rather just set a move order to there when ever I feel like. But I cant seem to do the move command with directions on the wiki.

Can I link all the spikes to a single lever?

If i define a burrow for the room opperator (lever puller) in the room with the lever. Aside from a bed, food, booze, place to eat, what else does the opperator need to live?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12333 on: June 12, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »

Can walls be build from above on an up/down staircase? Like;
X
X
X
X
X<
C
X
X
X

X=up/down stairs
C=Wall to be constructed
<=Where I want my dwarf to stand when he builds the wall.

Also, will a well stop water flowing up?

1) No - you will need to change the up/down staircase to merely a down staircase to allow wall building on the tile, I believe.  I know you have to change to a down only staircase to floor over that same tile - thats how I cover all my holes into lava and caverns.

2) No, water will flow out of a well if the pressure would normally flood the tile the well is on.

Also - dwarves will not build diagonally.  Standing at < and building at C won't happen, no matter what.

You can build a floor, temporarily, below < to build on tile C, then remove the floor.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:20:47 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12334 on: June 12, 2011, 04:59:30 pm »

If I set my militaries uniform to "individual choice weapon" and then let them train, will they automaticly use any training equipment available?  Or does the training weapon have to be in a barracks?

They'll pick the best weapon (by value usually) and stick with that. They won't pick a training weapon unless that's the only kind you have.

Does that mean that the Dwarves don't choose the weapon which they have best experience in? I somehow assumed that when I have Axedwarves, Hammerdwarves, and Sworddwarves in my squad and let them take an individual choice weapon, each of them will grab just the type of weapon he is most skilled with.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: June 12, 2011, 05:02:17 pm »

yes the grab the highest value weapon that uses their highest skill
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12336 on: June 12, 2011, 05:05:47 pm »

Some questions.
I know about setting patroll routes through that room. But I'd rather just set a move order to there when ever I feel like. But I cant seem to do the move command with directions on the wiki.

If i define a burrow for the room opperator (lever puller) in the room with the lever. Aside from a bed, food, booze, place to eat, what else does the opperator need to live?
halp plz kai thx
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12337 on: June 12, 2011, 05:07:30 pm »

Ok. And how many items can I let the dwarves equip? I have set up an equipment where each of my dwarves shall have 1 melee weapon, 1 ranged weapon, 1 shield. Can I assume that he would swap e.g. between a crossbow and a sword and shield as needed?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12338 on: June 12, 2011, 05:14:38 pm »

Some questions.

To set a squad to move is [ s ]quads->[squad letter (a, b, c)]->[m]ove->[ENTER]

Yes, you can link as many things as you want to a lever.

Ok. And how many items can I let the dwarves equip? I have set up an equipment where each of my dwarves shall have 1 melee weapon, 1 ranged weapon, 1 shield. Can I assume that he would swap e.g. between a crossbow and a sword and shield as needed?
They would equip all three, but they might just use crossbow to bash things, or ignore it.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12339 on: June 12, 2011, 08:44:04 pm »

My plant processor won't process plants. There are so many barrels of plump helmets, but I keep getting the message Urist McPlant Processor cancels Process Plants: Needs unrotten processable plants.

Does it mean that my plant reserves are rotten? They are all kept in barrels, why should they rot?

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12340 on: June 12, 2011, 08:56:35 pm »

It is because Plump Helmet is not a processable plant. It is brewable at a Still and Cookable and can be ate raw. But you cannot process it at a farmers workshop.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12341 on: June 12, 2011, 09:03:00 pm »

Ah I see. I mixed up plump helmets and pig tails.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12342 on: June 12, 2011, 09:28:24 pm »

what's the best way to train up your dwarves' skills these days? Still a benefit to mining, smoothing, etc?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12343 on: June 12, 2011, 09:46:46 pm »

what's the best way to train up your dwarves' skills these days? Still a benefit to mining, smoothing, etc?
Do you mean their attributes, strength, stamina, etc.?
Or do you mean labors?

If you mean attributes, I believe military training is most efficient.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12344 on: June 12, 2011, 10:10:28 pm »

Do you mean their attributes, strength, stamina, etc.?
Or do you mean labors?

If you mean attributes, I believe military training is most efficient.
I think what you're calling labors are actually called skills in game. Labors are the settings that control what type of work a dwarf can do.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 1178