Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125980 times)

Synthet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12135 on: June 04, 2011, 05:30:57 pm »

I have a small question. I don't know where temples are located in adventure mode, the wiki says 'They are located in Human towns and Goblin fortresses' but how do I find them and what do they look like?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12136 on: June 04, 2011, 07:17:52 pm »

I don't know that temples exist at the moment.  Wait for the next version to be released, it's going to have a complete revamp of cities and towns.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12137 on: June 04, 2011, 07:34:57 pm »

I have a small question. I don't know where temples are located in adventure mode, the wiki says 'They are located in Human towns and Goblin fortresses' but how do I find them and what do they look like?

The wiki is regrettably out of date on this matter, and for several other adventure mode things right now. Temples are out right now, but they'll be back in the next version.

Incidentally, the Adventure Mode forum has its own little questions thread, which I'm sure will be much more active after the next update.

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12138 on: June 04, 2011, 10:08:33 pm »

Hey, do Megabeasts and Clowns fight one another? I just got a megabeast and I'm not sure if I should fight it right now or try to catch it for use later.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12139 on: June 04, 2011, 10:26:33 pm »

After being annoyed with hunting ("Urist McHuntingRetard cancels hunting, needs ammunition" when the creature was nearly dead), I decided to put my hunting dorf in the military and have him kill things by ordering him to.  He just killed a cougar, but he's not dragging the kill back.  How do I get the corpse back to the fort so it can be butchered?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12140 on: June 04, 2011, 10:31:16 pm »

Install a refuse stockpile by your butchery and (o)rder your dwarves to collect refuse from outside.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12141 on: June 04, 2011, 10:33:26 pm »

After being annoyed with hunting ("Urist McHuntingRetard cancels hunting, needs ammunition" when the creature was nearly dead), I decided to put my hunting dorf in the military and have him kill things by ordering him to.  He just killed a cougar, but he's not dragging the kill back.  How do I get the corpse back to the fort so it can be butchered?

Military kills will not be returned by the military, they will be returned by civilians. Make sure that you are not ignoring outside refuse, and eventually a dwarf with refuse hauling enabled will bring it to the appropriate stockpile.

Incidentally, be careful putting hunters in the military. I've heard that hunters wear an invisible "uniform" to handle weapon/ammo allocation, and this can conflict with their military settings. Make sure you disable hunting when putting them in the military. And if you find your hunter run out of ammo quickly, you can assign them more ammunition under the military screen, which may circumvent this problem.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12142 on: June 04, 2011, 10:58:20 pm »

Assigning more ammo won't help. They'll still only take a small amount with them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12143 on: June 05, 2011, 03:06:18 am »

I have some metal arrows from goblins. I could install bows in traps, but I prefer spiked silver balls, and silver warhammers. I could make a bow squad, but I prefer crossbows anyway. Is there a sensible use for arrows or should I just melt them? So far no one mooded to make an artifact bow.

Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12144 on: June 05, 2011, 03:21:30 am »

is there a way to use "burrow" to make millitary archers to stand behind a fortification ?

what I mean is,

F = Fortification
A = Archers

F F F F F F
A A A A A A

and using burrow to "force" the archers to stand right behind the fort instead of using move command

I want to do this because by using the move command, the archers maybe 1 block away, or in front of the Fort instead.

I did it before by mistake, although it was the civilians instead that went to the burrows (I think putting individual dwarf may solve this, I dont know for sure)

another question, how do you slow down when a fight starts ?

I have been watching some youtube lets play, and it seems that some of them can pause the game and start the fight part by part.

example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAgwO-sGnDw

at 10 mins mark
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:39:52 am by AcESCAR »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12145 on: June 05, 2011, 04:23:19 am »

Best way to control archers in a firing line behind a fortification is to make it impossible for them to be farther away.

FFFFFFFFFFF
AAAAAAAAAF
FFFFFFFFFFF

Put walls or fortifications around them.  Burrows might work, I'm not certain.  I've never tried to control dwarf movement this precisely with burrows.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
  • I am encircled with bands of newbiness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12146 on: June 05, 2011, 05:16:37 am »

Hey guys, got a little question here: A dwarf of mine has withdrawn from society and he is just standing around, looking at stuff. He is an axedwarf and woodcutter and teacher. What do i need to do to prevent him from going mad?
Life gives you lemons, you make orange juice, and sit back and watch everyone try and figure out how you did it.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12147 on: June 05, 2011, 05:30:12 am »

Bah. I feel kinda silly because my first post after a long time goes to "questions" thread. Oh well.

Anyway - I have been searching the forums a bit, kinda found the answer, but still to make it sure: ENGRAVING SLABS.

Names of dead dwarfs do not disapper from the "engrave slab" list, right? Is this a bug? If not, it would be grat to see a feature that would allow you to at least "hide" names already engraved on a slab, or maybe not show names of those actually placed in coffins. That would probably save the clutter...

Eeote: construct craft- or mason's workshop. Dwarfs witout specific skills usually claim one of this.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
  • I am encircled with bands of newbiness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12148 on: June 05, 2011, 05:36:55 am »

Bah. I feel kinda silly because my first post after a long time goes to "questions" thread. Oh well.

Anyway - I have been searching the forums a bit, kinda found the answer, but still to make it sure: ENGRAVING SLABS.

Names of dead dwarfs do not disapper from the "engrave slab" list, right? Is this a bug? If not, it would be grat to see a feature that would allow you to at least "hide" names already engraved on a slab, or maybe not show names of those actually placed in coffins. That would probably save the clutter...

Eeote: construct craft- or mason's workshop. Dwarfs witout specific skills usually claim one of this.

Thanks for the reply, but i already have several craftdwarf's workshops and mason's workshops, he has not claimed any of them
Life gives you lemons, you make orange juice, and sit back and watch everyone try and figure out how you did it.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #12149 on: June 05, 2011, 05:50:49 am »

Thanks for the reply, but i already have several craftdwarf's workshops and mason's workshops, he has not claimed any of them

It's been my experience that having just magma/non-magma forges can get you into trouble when it comes to moods. Does he have any metal-working skill?

The wiki has a very useful article covering this topic: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mood
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 1178