Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115982 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11880 on: May 25, 2011, 05:48:25 pm »

Where would you find your first cavern? I've been reading on them and dug out almost a whole layer (layer -12) and I haven't found a cavern.
Anywhere from -5 to -30.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11881 on: May 25, 2011, 08:32:32 pm »

Is there a way to equip specific items to a specific dwarf?
In my case I want to give my Countess an artifact cape.
Make uniform of clothes and cape. Put countess to a one-person squad based on that uniform (if one can put nobles to squads.)

Is there a way to randomise your dwarves on the embark screen if you don't like the ones you've rolled, or do you have to abort, find the site again and so on?
There is no way. You can only rename them and rename their professions at embark.

Where would you find your first cavern? I've been reading on them and dug out almost a whole layer (layer -12) and I haven't found a cavern.
If worldgen settings make nice caves (like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And are using near minimum between-caves distances
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You'll get caves 1 about -7 to -14. (default quickworldgen settings can give like: caves1 on -18 to -23. caves2 on -39 to -43.)
Magma sea typically on -31 to -65 range. (And I have seen a magma-less volcano.)
Just make three exploration shafts down from the surface to find caves. Then can build floor on top of stairwells you don't want from surface.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:42:25 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11882 on: May 25, 2011, 09:09:19 pm »

Can you sell statues to caravans? If so, how?
He likes the color green, metals, flowers, olivine, and rain for its beauty. When possible, he prefers to consume tea. He absolutely detests social interaction.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: May 25, 2011, 09:55:41 pm »

Can you sell statues to caravans? If so, how?
Sure, as long as they aren't {b}uilt yet (that is, put down into a fixed spot instead of sitting in the workshop or a stockpile).  You assign them for trading the same way as everything else: {q} over the depot, then bring the {g}oods to the depot and find what you're looking for on the list shown.

If they're not there, there's a good chance it's because one of your nobles has forbidden their export and they're being automatically excluded from the list of available items.  Either check your {n}obles screen from the main view or look for an option called "cull on mandates" in the trade screen.  Keep in mind that trading away items nobles want to keep will cause dwarves to be punished if or when you have a functioning justice system.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #11884 on: May 25, 2011, 11:32:53 pm »

If I attach a contact syndrome to a metal and make a weapon out of it will it become a poisoned weapon?  Also is there any way to do this without modding (do animalmen do it for instance)?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11885 on: May 26, 2011, 04:40:50 am »

How do I know a dwarf's stats? I remember reading that when a dwarf hits legendary it should have at least a couple of status upgrades (Like strength, toughness, etc) but I can't find where to read those.

If I view the unit with {u} or {v} then it just shows it's profession levels, but I can't see the others. Am I missing something? I thought it was meant to show that stuff there?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11886 on: May 26, 2011, 07:23:37 am »

How do I know a dwarf's stats?

(v) (z) (Enter)  It's on the same screen with their thoughts and preferences.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20:57 am »

I have 2 questions, both about weapons;

Question 1: Which weapon type is best for a fortress guard? I know that hammers do the most damage against organic humanoids, however they don't do anything to things like the bronze colossus. Which is the best weapon for killing or at least damaging everything? I assume battle axe, perhaps?

Question 2: For weapons traps, which is better; actual weapons, or purpose-built trap components? Which type is best out of each category?

Thank you. :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: May 26, 2011, 09:35:14 am »

How do I know a dwarf's stats?

(v) (z) (Enter)  It's on the same screen with their thoughts and preferences.

Okay. I see the bright green writing that is my legendary miner's likes and dislikes.

Under that is some dark green writing "He has a lot of willpower, a very good sense of the position of his own body, etc." Is that where they are listed? It seems to have changed position since 40d days...
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: May 26, 2011, 09:57:10 am »

Okay. I see the bright green writing that is my legendary miner's likes and dislikes.

What does it say over his/her likes and dislikes? A bit darker green or red.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11890 on: May 26, 2011, 10:52:40 am »

I have 2 questions, both about weapons;

Question 1: Which weapon type is best for a fortress guard? I know that hammers do the most damage against organic humanoids, however they don't do anything to things like the bronze colossus. Which is the best weapon for killing or at least damaging everything? I assume battle axe, perhaps?

Question 2: For weapons traps, which is better; actual weapons, or purpose-built trap components? Which type is best out of each category?

Thank you. :)
Axes are a good all-purpose weapon, yes.

For traps, I believe that the weapons designed for traps are better, since they are larger. Some also hit three times per trigger.

nenico87

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11891 on: May 26, 2011, 11:15:48 am »

hello
how can i forbid store items without containers? is this even possible?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11892 on: May 26, 2011, 11:23:38 am »

hello
how can i forbid store items without containers? is this even possible?
Do you mean storeing items in a stockpile without putting them in bins or barrels?
If so, you can change the number of allowed bins and barrels in the stockpile's [q] menu. Just set it to zero.

nenico87

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: May 26, 2011, 11:31:19 am »

Do you mean storeing items in a stockpile without putting them in bins or barrels?
If so, you can change the number of allowed bins and barrels in the stockpile's [q] menu. Just set it to zero.

no, i mean the other way... forbid store outside barrels, bins etc...
i have approx. 30 wooden bins and finished goods are laying on ground... my craft dwarfs spending sooo munch time on making this, and carriers just throw it on ground... i don't like this...

elvenspirit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11894 on: May 26, 2011, 11:35:48 am »

How old can Dwarves get before old age claims them?
Don't mind the name, i stopped using names i liked on forums a long time ago so people wouldn't steal them.
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 1178