Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115894 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11865 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »

You can't swim in water below 4/7, to my knowledge. I could be wrong.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11866 on: May 24, 2011, 07:41:22 pm »

All natural walls are magma-safe.
Natural ice walls aren't.

Constructed ice walls are, though, which is weird. And awesome.

I see...

On a rather unrelated note, setting the volume variable in init.txt doesn't affect anything. The value that you can see in the sound settings ingame is whatever you set it to, but the volume level itself stays at 255 until you change it from that screen.

This may have to do with me using Linux-- is that the case on other systems as well, or not?
I have mine set to 0 and it works exactly as you'd expect. Haven't tried anything but that and the default 255. (Windows 7 64-bit)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11867 on: May 24, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »

You can't swim in water below 4/7, to my knowledge. I could be wrong.
I thought people would use 4/7 water pits to train swimming. Does the stat go up, but no swimming is required?

All natural walls are magma-safe.
Natural ice walls aren't.

Constructed ice walls are, though, which is weird. And awesome.

I see...

On a rather unrelated note, setting the volume variable in init.txt doesn't affect anything. The value that you can see in the sound settings ingame is whatever you set it to, but the volume level itself stays at 255 until you change it from that screen.

This may have to do with me using Linux-- is that the case on other systems as well, or not?
I have mine set to 0 and it works exactly as you'd expect. Haven't tried anything but that and the default 255. (Windows 7 64-bit)
Any other value has the same effect.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11868 on: May 24, 2011, 08:18:51 pm »

Lots of people have been talking about two things: gates and notes.

I know how to leave notes in embark mode (having stumbled across that feature quite by accident) But I'm unsure about the whole notes-in-the-world thing. I'd like one fort with a well-designed underground irrigation system to not flood because I accidentally pulled the wrong airlock lever when there was a whole river's worth of water on the other side.

Also, gates. Are they like people using bridges creatively - or is it actual floodgates to stop people?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11869 on: May 24, 2011, 08:54:32 pm »

I believe the key to set points is [R], you can then edit the names of those points to lable your levers and whatnot.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11870 on: May 24, 2011, 08:55:33 pm »

(N) is the key to set Notes on locations in Fortress Mode.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11871 on: May 25, 2011, 12:46:59 am »

As for notes on world maps, it always helps to add a note to every embark site, especially looking for ones you hope contain flux,coal, and iron ores. When you finally do find one, surrounding areas might contain the same materials. So just write down the note somewhere. If you get tired of the fort, or have too much fun, you can find it quicker on a new embark. The notes both appear on world map, and embark mini map
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11872 on: May 25, 2011, 01:49:33 am »

Can I butcher animals with soldiers, then ask a butcher to process them into food (I would need to reclaim corpses in the outside yes). ?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11873 on: May 25, 2011, 07:38:12 am »

If you kill wild animals with your soldiers, and then have the animal corpses brought to a stockpile (this requires that you turn on gathering of refuse from outside) near a butcher shop, the corpses will automatically be butchered.  Tame animals on the other hand can't be butchered if they died any way other than being deliberately slaughtered by a butcher at a butcher's shop.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

elvenspirit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11874 on: May 25, 2011, 10:11:29 am »

Legendary glassmaker + magma power

What do you suggest should i make for trading?

Also how do i zoom in on enemies?
Don't mind the name, i stopped using names i liked on forums a long time ago so people wouldn't steal them.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11875 on: May 25, 2011, 10:37:09 am »

Legendary glassmaker + magma power

What do you suggest should i make for trading?

Spiked ball has best value, it's almost like cheating.

Also how do i zoom in on enemies?

From [ u]nits displays, select unit you want to zoom to and press [c]
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11876 on: May 25, 2011, 02:15:43 pm »

Is there a way to randomise your dwarves on the embark screen if you don't like the ones you've rolled, or do you have to abort, find the site again and so on?

Also, what's the best material for crossbows? I can't make any silver ones, it seems. Copper perhaps?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

Rhazak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11877 on: May 25, 2011, 04:10:46 pm »

Is there a way to equip specific items to a specific dwarf?
In my case I want to give my Countess an artifact cape.

PFactorial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11878 on: May 25, 2011, 04:20:38 pm »

Where would you find your first cavern? I've been reading on them and dug out almost a whole layer (layer -12) and I haven't found a cavern.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11879 on: May 25, 2011, 04:31:24 pm »

Where would you find your first cavern? I've been reading on them and dug out almost a whole layer (layer -12) and I haven't found a cavern.
You might well have missed it. Dig horizontally to your shaft.

Is there a way to equip specific items to a specific dwarf?
In my case I want to give my Countess an artifact cape.
I think artefacts only get worn by champions-- either way, as far as I know you can't equip special clothing on anything but the military.

Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 1178