Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115900 times)

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11790 on: May 21, 2011, 11:45:23 pm »

That sucks. That was literally the only reason I purchased said wolf.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to mod it to be trainable without having to regen. I did something similar to trolls and a couple of other cavern critters a few versions ago.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11791 on: May 21, 2011, 11:54:14 pm »

Apparently I cannot have both chain legs and greaves on at the same time. So which one is better? I was under the impression that chain is better at preventing edged attacks, and greaves better at preventing blunt force trauma.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11792 on: May 22, 2011, 01:29:00 am »

Is there any convenient way to thaw a river quickly? I embarked in a cold climate, and the river was frozen in early spring. I dug out some channels in it, including a nice well-type area, and turned temperature back on. It should have thawed by now, and the ice thaws as soon as I mine it, but the river appears to be permanently frozen. Is there anything I can do about this? I really need that river for my well and hospital, and for my obsidian farm.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11793 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:01 am »

Is there any convenient way to thaw a river quickly? I embarked in a cold climate, and the river was frozen in early spring. I dug out some channels in it, including a nice well-type area, and turned temperature back on. It should have thawed by now, and the ice thaws as soon as I mine it, but the river appears to be permanently frozen. Is there anything I can do about this? I really need that river for my well and hospital, and for my obsidian farm.
It's not really "convenient " but it should melt if you run magma beneath it (no more than one z-level).

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11794 on: May 22, 2011, 01:53:09 am »

greaves, and wear high boots
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11795 on: May 22, 2011, 02:32:51 am »

It's not really "convenient " but it should melt if you run magma beneath it (no more than one z-level).
I've seen that suggested, but that's a solid 17 z-levels difference, just between my magma forges and the river, never mind the river to the magma sea. Dammit, that's what temperature's supposed to be for, thawing rivers in the summer. Oh well, this wasn't a terribly good fortress anyway. I ran into other problems with the well/obsidian farm, so there's no great loss in quitting here.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11796 on: May 22, 2011, 04:16:53 am »

All the mud in my farm disappeared in a year. Is there certain conditions that cause this or is DF cleanmap cleaning too well?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

elvenspirit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11797 on: May 22, 2011, 04:52:39 am »

Do natural walls have to be magma safe? Lets say something like diorite or natural gems?
Don't mind the name, i stopped using names i liked on forums a long time ago so people wouldn't steal them.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11798 on: May 22, 2011, 04:58:55 am »

All natural walls are magma-safe.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11799 on: May 22, 2011, 05:02:22 am »

All natural walls are magma-safe.
So are constructed walls
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11800 on: May 22, 2011, 07:14:01 am »

All the mud in my farm disappeared in a year. Is there certain conditions that cause this or is DF cleanmap cleaning too well?
DFcleanmap doesn't remove mud.  Your dwarves may clean up the mud if you designated the tiles which the farms are built on for smoothing however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11801 on: May 22, 2011, 08:02:17 am »

Diagnosis is performed by the Chief Medical Dwarf.

Or by some other dwarf with the Diagnosis labor enabled.  Just so long as there is a CMD assigned.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11802 on: May 22, 2011, 11:49:34 am »

My military dorfs are thirsty... Some are with waterskins, yet nobody drinks... My questions are

1) will they break their station to drink on a nearby barrel, or never?

2) should I return them to civilian life so they drink?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11803 on: May 22, 2011, 12:52:11 pm »

My military dorfs are thirsty... Some are with waterskins, yet nobody drinks... My questions are

1) will they break their station to drink on a nearby barrel, or never?

2) should I return them to civilian life so they drink?
They'll drink when they get really thirsty, then go refill their skins from a barrel or well (the ones without skins will just go directly to the drink).  Thirsty dwarves are generally less effective, presumably including combat skills, so if you think a fight is coming soon it can be worth it to clear their orders, unpause for a couple seconds, then reassign them.  The ones with skins will take a drink and hold off on refilling them.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11804 on: May 22, 2011, 02:29:16 pm »

(1) ok!! much thanks! But when I clear their order, while retaining them in a squad, they switch to civilian? weird? they even stockpile their weapons....

(2) Side question, why some Dorfs take one shield and 2 axes!! ?
Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 1178