Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120717 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11325 on: May 08, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »

OMG she went to go get somthing to eat and then when she finished she was conducting the meeting and got the diplomat to say something! but now she went to go clean herself -_-

Meetings are about the lowest priority for your leader, if you give them any other jobs.  If you want the meeting over and done with quickly, strip the jobs off the leader until they finish the meeting.

I generally set up my leader as broker / manager / bookkeeper and give them absolutely no other job at all after the first year or so.  For the first caravan or two I remove all their jobs until the trading / meetings are done, then put them back on until other dwarves can pick up the slack.  I always remove all hauling duties and medical and cleaning duties from the leader after I get everything off the wagon into the fort.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: May 08, 2011, 10:46:55 pm »

Realistically, dwarf leaders should be required to bathe before any meeting, its only polite.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11327 on: May 08, 2011, 11:27:36 pm »

For years I had a broker with the appraise skill. I know this because I could see how much things were worth. Then a caravan came and I couldn't sort by value.

My broker wasn't dead. His skill had simply been reduced to 'dabbling.' So I am confused.

I'd heard of stat decay as Dorfs get older, but skill decay? Is that in DF 2010?

Nick

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: May 09, 2011, 12:33:49 am »

For years I had a broker with the appraise skill. I know this because I could see how much things were worth. Then a caravan came and I couldn't sort by value.

My broker wasn't dead. His skill had simply been reduced to 'dabbling.' So I am confused.

I'd heard of stat decay as Dorfs get older, but skill decay? Is that in DF 2010?

Nick
Yes. Regular use will prevent it.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: May 09, 2011, 12:56:25 am »

Like when it comes up with (Rusty) or (V Rusty), means that they'll need to do it for a while to get back into it. Check his skill list to see if it says either of these after it.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: May 09, 2011, 05:49:31 am »

Like when it comes up with (Rusty) or (V Rusty), means that they'll need to do it for a while to get back into it. Check his skill list to see if it says either of these after it.
Not rusty. Not very rusty. Nothing in parentheses. Just dabbling. I can post a screen if you'd like, but that seems like overkill.

It wouldn't be unrealistic for his skills to have decayed completely. I haven't even opened the gates for decades, much less had anyone trade. But it sounds like this isn't intended so I may have to report it on the bugtracker.

Nick

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: May 09, 2011, 06:36:17 am »

Last time I heard, skill decay IS intended. First you go rusty, then very rusty, then you loose some points in the skill...

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: May 09, 2011, 06:57:59 am »

Once it decays all the way to dabbling, I doubt it bothers to continue showing it as "V. Rusty," so I expect that's exactly what you're looking at.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11333 on: May 09, 2011, 12:22:32 pm »

Why do refuse items (Like a kitten skull or a single bone) clutter up my workshops?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: May 09, 2011, 12:44:26 pm »

Because you have no refuse pile, and dwarves leave things wherever thy feel like it without one.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11335 on: May 09, 2011, 01:00:20 pm »

Quote from: tolkafox
Why do tasked refuse items (Like a single kitten skull or a single bone) clutter up my workshops when they're the only items present in the workshop

Fixed. I have a refuse pile for random items, one for fresh hides, one for bones/hooves/etc, one for skulls, one for hair/wool, and one for corpses.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: May 09, 2011, 01:27:37 pm »

I believe this is a bug, my tanning shops are similarly cluttered from just one skin.

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: May 09, 2011, 03:16:42 pm »

No Dwarf civilization embarks are actually desired over at the dwarf fortress file depot.  If you don't have a dwarf civ, you get a couple immigration waves, then that's it, no more except what you breed in your fortress.  Some people really like this.

I think my civ is dead.
If this desired in dwarf fortress file depot, I think I will upload it. (I have a save with the map undigged, for savescumming.)
Thank for the explanation !  ;)

Tuonelan renki

• Bay Watcher
  • Knitting black wool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: May 09, 2011, 03:52:59 pm »

As of .25, crutches are still bugged, right? And there is no way around them to allow legless to crawl about in the fortress?

Just pondering whether to wall in my poor hunter who lost his leg to a giant badger, and now the dear dutiful doctor is stuck diagnosing him instead of tending to war wounded.
"We'll trade all your gold, cheese and prepared rabbit intestines to this box full of crap we carved out of limestone."
-Rockworks Sprayedswords, Baron of Helmsplunge

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: May 09, 2011, 03:56:49 pm »

As of .25, crutches are still bugged, right? And there is no way around them to allow legless to crawl about in the fortress?

Just pondering whether to wall in my poor hunter who lost his leg to a giant badger, and now the dear dutiful doctor is stuck diagnosing him instead of tending to war wounded.
Crutches work since .22
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 1178