Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 751 752 [753] 754 755 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120622 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11280 on: May 07, 2011, 12:24:28 am »

Nope. The bridge was checked after being sealed.

Anyway, he couldn't have been inside the fortress because I have traps at the entrance.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11281 on: May 07, 2011, 12:29:05 am »

Screenshot, maybe?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11282 on: May 07, 2011, 12:41:05 am »

It's a bit too late for a screenshot. My steel spikes that I had on the "Bridge" killed the invader.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11283 on: May 07, 2011, 01:07:12 am »

Alright, how the hell did this shit happen!?

I have a bridge that is sealed off by a drawbridge. It's my forts entrance. I found a snatcher on it that wasn't there when it was originally sealed.

What the hell's happening?

You probably have a way to get to that point from outside that you don't realize is there.  It could be a diagonal opening, or you left behind an up-ramp when digging out the entrance which is letting invaders in.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11284 on: May 07, 2011, 02:56:17 am »

I've checked heaps of times, I don't see anything.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11285 on: May 07, 2011, 03:03:49 am »

I've checked heaps of times, I don't see anything.

He might have been there when you sealed it up (or was inside your fort) and he didn't get spotted until now.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11286 on: May 07, 2011, 07:09:05 am »

What good is bone? I could make bone armor, but I have metal. I could make bone bolts, but I have metal. I could make bone crafts, but I have stone and metal. What good is bone? I keep some of it around for moods, but otherwise I seem to have no use for it.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11287 on: May 07, 2011, 07:52:10 am »

Bone bolts are excellent for practice, or for maiming leather-clad goblins.  If you truly don't need any more bolts (a situation I find somewhat difficult to believe), then they can be turned into trade goods or decorations for furniture.  (You'll get way more value making bone crafts, since decorating with bone currently uses up a whole stack for a single decoration.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11288 on: May 07, 2011, 08:09:43 am »

What good is bone? I could make bone armor, but I have metal. I could make bone bolts, but I have metal. I could make bone crafts, but I have stone and metal. What good is bone? I keep some of it around for moods, but otherwise I seem to have no use for it.
Dont keep it for moods there is a bug where if a dwarf goes into a mood that involves bone and other materials those other materials will cease to exist. It is preferable for them to go mad then to let them waste valuable gems and adamantium that then is nothing.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11289 on: May 07, 2011, 08:34:24 am »

Struggling to get honey to work properly, damnit. I want a stockpile for JUST royal jelly- is it buried in the damn meat subcategory, meaning It is going to take forever to find it? Why is there no search function for that list. ANyways, Where is Royal Jelly located?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11290 on: May 07, 2011, 08:35:04 am »

Struggling to get honey to work properly, damnit. I want a stockpile for JUST royal jelly- is it buried in the damn meat subcategory, meaning It is going to take forever to find it? Why is there no search function for that list. ANyways, Where is Royal Jelly located?

Nevermind, it's in Animal Extract. Stupid Me!
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11291 on: May 07, 2011, 08:39:42 am »

Dont keep it for moods there is a bug where if a dwarf goes into a mood that involves bone and other materials those other materials will cease to exist. It is preferable for them to go mad then to let them waste valuable gems and adamantium that then is nothing.
That's been fixed.

Also dwarfs don't care what you have when choosing what they want, so not having any bone wouldn't have prevented the bug anyway.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11292 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:45 am »

Alright then- what's the best way to get rid of Royal Jelly? Currently I'm trying to cook it, but it is proving recalcitrant.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11293 on: May 07, 2011, 10:18:15 am »

Alright then- what's the best way to get rid of Royal Jelly? Currently I'm trying to cook it, but it is proving recalcitrant.

I usually end up trading some of it just to get rid of it. Also try to keep a stockpile with it, maybe dwarven syrup and some other liquid type cooking goods closer to the kitchens than the solid stuff, so they'll hopefully grab the liquidy stuff to make up the bulk of the rations they cook. (They need a solid item to start with, but the rest I believe can be liquid.)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11294 on: May 07, 2011, 03:06:20 pm »

Edit: I don't really want a population full of hunters, I'm more curious if the act of holding a crossbow makes them behave in a more defensive fasion similar to hunters.  I wouldn't mind having 100 dwarves rushing to pick up a sock if they were willing to fire off a few arrows to get it.  I'll test it out later and post up how it works.

In my current fortress, off duty crossbowmen DO use their weapon against the enemies they see. My gladiatorial matches are sometimes stopped by unexpected rains of bolts. And an off-duty militia commander tried to single-handedly take on a Dragon. Didn't end well, as you can imagine, but he still fired two bolts before losing his crossbow (and most of his body mass) to the fire.
But it may not work for non-proficient peasants. Tell us if your civilians manage to fire a bolt before being horrendously mauled.  :)

Pages: 1 ... 751 752 [753] 754 755 ... 1178