Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120387 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11070 on: April 27, 2011, 07:38:51 pm »

If you're using DF Hack's Prospector, it doesn't naturally look at layers. To do that add -ab to the end.
Both the game itself and DFHack 0.5.13 misreport flux. I had a site that claimed flux in the finder, and Prospector claimed there was a little. Nope. Moving the site a little yielded a report of several thousand marble, but a manual search revealed only a hundred or so tucked away on an edge.

Attachments can be overridden by assigning a dwarf specific equipment, and then you get rid of the original equipment so it can't be picked up again. Not sure if this works on pseudo-artifacts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11071 on: April 27, 2011, 07:40:08 pm »

I've found it to be incredibly hard to get a dwarf to relinquish ANYTHING they own, attached or not. Granted it seems to be harder to make a soldier ditch that shitty copper mace that he decided to name when it's time to replace it with a steel or silver war hammer. I know I've been trying to figure out how to categorically destroy all CLOTHING in my fort since shortly after I started playing.

and concerning the screw press, check the wiki; it appears to be seriously bugged.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11072 on: April 27, 2011, 08:31:19 pm »

There's a rumor on the DFHack thread that DF is using "marble" (a flux stone) way down in the lower layers that you can't actually get to.  Which is why we think that sometimes the finder reports flux stone, when it's actually all semi-molten rock down below the magma sea.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58809

I've had embarks where DFProspector says "130k marble" or so, but a manual search using DFReveal failed to find it.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11073 on: April 27, 2011, 11:41:40 pm »

so, as i understand, if i were to say, give a dwarf 5 points into ambusher, we'd get a free crossbow, cuz hunter is his highest one...

now, if i were to give one of my starting dwarves 5 in mining, and 4 in somethin else, and one in somethin else, would i get a free pick?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11074 on: April 27, 2011, 11:49:23 pm »

and concerning the screw press, check the wiki; it appears to be seriously bugged.

Yergh, apparently, because I've got plenty of empty jugs. Even forbidding tools from my goods stockpile doesn't seem to have helped. -_- or making a second screw press. Which is odd because I haven't run into this bug at all before, from what I can remember.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11075 on: April 27, 2011, 11:56:56 pm »

now, if i were to give one of my starting dwarves 5 in mining, and 4 in somethin else, and one in somethin else, would i get a free pick?

No.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11076 on: April 28, 2011, 07:58:09 am »

(I'm also having problems with making soap despite the fact that I have tallow, but I know that that's screwy.)

If you have both the tallow and the lye, and the lye is not in a bucket that also contains water, then you should be able to make soap through the manager screen even if the workshop menu doesn't show the option.  (j) (m) (q) then type "soap", etc.  And, err, of course you need a manager for that.

Another workaround is to move the lye really close to the soap workshop.  There seems to be an issue with proximity, possibly triggered by having burrows... I don't know the exact details.  This same bug has been observed in the smelters, too.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how did YOU get in here?
« Reply #11077 on: April 28, 2011, 09:30:18 am »

So now I'm having this unfortunate issue with goblin thieves INSIDE my fortress, but I have no clue how they got in in the first place. I know about 2 seasons ago I had my back door bridge open so I could dump the results of the last siege into my magma pit, but that was a long time ago and it's impossible to navigate the stairs without being adjacent to a dwarf, and my entrance is filled with traps, and there are war dogs monitoring the choke point in case of kobolds. My caverns are even crazier; there are wooden doors as lures in a bunch of gated chambers; the second something that isn't able to be conventionally trapped gets to a door, I have a dwarf throw a switch and contain it in a chamber. In fact I have a forgotten beast menagerie that way (Oh, such a fateful day that my poor king and queen were visiting the menagerie when a terrible accident happened, locking them in as all the containment cells burst open).

But anyway, I see no way the thieves could have gotten in, and now my legendary carpenter and planter are very unhappy about bleeding all over their rooms.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: how did YOU get in here?
« Reply #11078 on: April 28, 2011, 09:34:25 am »

So now I'm having this unfortunate issue with goblin thieves INSIDE my fortress, but I have no clue how they got in in the first place. I know about 2 seasons ago I had my back door bridge open so I could dump the results of the last siege into my magma pit, but that was a long time ago and it's impossible to navigate the stairs without being adjacent to a dwarf, and my entrance is filled with traps, and there are war dogs monitoring the choke point in case of kobolds. My caverns are even crazier; there are wooden doors as lures in a bunch of gated chambers; the second something that isn't able to be conventionally trapped gets to a door, I have a dwarf throw a switch and contain it in a chamber. In fact I have a forgotten beast menagerie that way (Oh, such a fateful day that my poor king and queen were visiting the menagerie when a terrible accident happened, locking them in as all the containment cells burst open).

But anyway, I see no way the thieves could have gotten in, and now my legendary carpenter and planter are very unhappy about bleeding all over their rooms.
bug 3121
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3121
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11079 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:44 am »

Ah hah, it's apparently proximity that's doing it with the screw press bug as well. I realized my screw press is a little farther off from my goods stockpile than it usually is in most of my forts, so I added a nearby stockpile just for tools, and voila, suddenly I can press things again.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11080 on: April 28, 2011, 12:14:19 pm »

Is there any way to auto-forbid stones after being launched by a catapult? I'm having some issues with dwarves leaving the fort to retrieve stones fired outside.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11081 on: April 28, 2011, 12:16:03 pm »

Is there any way to auto-forbid stones after being launched by a catapult? I'm having some issues with dwarves leaving the fort to retrieve stones fired outside.
they should be automatically forbidden, and they crash on the ground anyway when they hit a wall (unless there is a z-level below that) so... could you give a screenshot?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11082 on: April 28, 2011, 01:08:35 pm »

they should be automatically forbidden
Only if you have "forbid used ammunition" set in the Orders menu.
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11083 on: April 28, 2011, 02:12:48 pm »

they should be automatically forbidden, and they crash on the ground anyway when they hit a wall (unless there is a z-level below that) so... could you give a screenshot?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry for the huge picture, that's why I used a spoiler tag.
Anyway, I made sure Forbid used ammunition was on before my siege operator fired this shot, and verified that there was no other stone in the area by setting up a new catapult. As you can see, the chalk stone at the cursor is not forbidden. If if makes any difference, I'm firing from Z+1 to the edge of the map, where the stone then falls to the ground. I've seen a few other weird bugs with catapults - rocks hitting invisible walls and such. I don't have any examples right now, but if I find any I'll post them.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11084 on: April 28, 2011, 02:59:46 pm »

is trapping pointless? lol
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 1178