Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116704 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9915 on: March 22, 2011, 05:54:49 pm »

So it's random? Or does it have to do with map/embark size?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9916 on: March 22, 2011, 05:58:05 pm »

Has more to do with the ceiling of that area, embarking in multiple biomes will usually result in high ceilings and very deep magma depending on the biomes you are embarking in. I think valleys and mountains give you the most Z levels out of any.

What areas are you embarking on with 40 Z levels? I've been trying to get this little so I don't have to build 100-173 Z level pumpstacks.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: March 22, 2011, 05:59:01 pm »

Oceans also give you large numbers of z-levels.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: March 22, 2011, 06:03:51 pm »

Has more to do with the ceiling of that area, embarking in multiple biomes will usually result in high ceilings and very deep magma depending on the biomes you are embarking in. I think valleys and mountains give you the most Z levels out of any.

What areas are you embarking on with 40 Z levels? I've been trying to get this little so I don't have to build 100-173 Z level pumpstacks.

Tropical shrubland, I believe.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: March 22, 2011, 06:33:20 pm »

Have you cut the number of caverns to 2? It squashes the contents of layers 2 and 3 together, but has no gameplay effects beyond making the layer below the first more dangerous.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: March 22, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »

alrighty! so, i've lost TWO militia men of fairly high skill to dodging enemies into the many lakes that dot the flat part of my map. is there a way to say, drain them all from below into some massive makeshift underground lake? or is my only option gonna be digging to a certain point then channeling out a wall?

or, alternatively, would it be faster/easier to simply wall off the lakes?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: March 22, 2011, 08:09:17 pm »

Walling off the lakes is easier.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9922 on: March 22, 2011, 08:13:44 pm »

Just build floors over the lakes, or dig some channels into them so things can climb out. If you want to be dwarfy, build a giant underground cistern and drain the lakes into there. If you want to be super dwarfy, build a water tower and pump the lakes into that. If you want to be ultra dwarfy, build a giant hole where your military isn't going to fight and pump the lakes into that.

Walls around lakes look tacky.

Also, my last fortress I didn't get a single ambush, not one. I got 4 goblin snatchers in a row, a minotaur, ettin, and dragon, then I get one siege shortly followed by another siege three times it's size with mounts. Is there some ambush trigger that I missed somewhere?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:19:21 pm by tolkafox »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: March 22, 2011, 08:27:45 pm »

I despise aquifers' abundance greatly. Since I'm a new player, is it recommended to just remove them/go to areas without them or should I give the accursed water-bearing demon soil some more tries-- I hear they're actually useful at times...

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: March 22, 2011, 08:41:43 pm »

TOO LATE! im already walling the lakes off,

im kinda gettin pissed, i decided i wanted another miner for when i get working on my adamantine, (got 3 legendary+5 guys atm lol) and the only guy who had any skill in it that wasnt impatient has been sitting around with his thumb up his ass -.-;;

also GOD DAMN this some of my guys have been in my hospital for a long time, 4 of my 22 melee militia are in my hospital, and their skills have become very rusty in the time they've been laying there -.-;;
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:58:06 pm by Renzuko »

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9925 on: March 22, 2011, 10:02:50 pm »

What is wrong with this design?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's top to bottom, but the middle layer should line up, correct? My miners aren't digging it, and worse off they're digging the fortress from the inside out thanks to them starting with the channel intended for my windmill. I started with an up/down staircase to see where the aquifer was, but now that up/down staircase in the middle seems to be causing problems but I can't figure out how.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: March 23, 2011, 12:43:40 am »

Quantum cage stockpiling: is it limitless?  So far I've been able to stick about 50 goblins into one cage.  Now I can't tell if my dwarves are just being lazy or no more will fit.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: March 23, 2011, 12:49:03 am »

Okay, stupid question, which type of fish stockpile holds the straight out of the water fish, "unprepared fish" or "fish?" It isn't really clear to me, and I can't find the answer on the wiki. My fishery isn't really near my kitchen and I want to make sure I store the right type in the right place.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: March 23, 2011, 12:50:06 am »

Quantum cage stockpiling: is it limitless?  So far I've been able to stick about 50 goblins into one cage.  Now I can't tell if my dwarves are just being lazy or no more will fit.

Limitless. You can stuff dragons into the cage from now until Armok comes to bathe the world in the blood of the unrighteous, and it will never get full.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: March 23, 2011, 01:41:10 am »

Limitless. You can stuff dragons into the cage from now until Armok comes to bathe the world in the blood of the unrighteous, and it will never get full.

Hrm.  I must have either a defective cage or defective dwarves.  I shall experiment with another cage!

*Arekis begins collecting more goblins*
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 1178