Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116601 times)

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9930 on: March 23, 2011, 04:19:00 am »

Broken bridges?

I have bridges that were formerly attached to levers, and were known to function, and now they...don't.  I have re-attached them to levers, and they continue to scrupulously not function.  One bridge is stuck shut, the other is stuck open.  Hmm.  Any thoughts?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9931 on: March 23, 2011, 05:49:43 am »

-snip-
Perhaps you could reconstruct these bridges?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9932 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:56 am »

I despise aquifers' abundance greatly. Since I'm a new player, is it recommended to just remove them/go to areas without them or should I give the accursed water-bearing demon soil some more tries-- I hear they're actually useful at times...

If you're not ready for them, you're not ready.  There is plenty of other FUN to be had in the meantime.  No sense giving yourself un-fun FUN, if you know what I mean.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9933 on: March 23, 2011, 07:12:49 am »

Build a large sealed room above-ground on a volcano, and tunnel into the volcano at the top. That is what I'm doing now, and it is definitely !!!FUN!!!. Try it and forget about the aquifiers.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9934 on: March 23, 2011, 08:47:02 am »

Okay, stupid question, which type of fish stockpile holds the straight out of the water fish, "unprepared fish" or "fish?" It isn't really clear to me, and I can't find the answer on the wiki. My fishery isn't really near my kitchen and I want to make sure I store the right type in the right place.
"Unprepared fish". "Fish" is for the prepared fish your dwarves can eat.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9935 on: March 23, 2011, 08:51:00 am »

Broken bridges?

I have bridges that were formerly attached to levers, and were known to function, and now they...don't.  I have re-attached them to levers, and they continue to scrupulously not function.  One bridge is stuck shut, the other is stuck open.  Hmm.  Any thoughts?
Did you attempt to trigger the bridges while any demons, forgotten beasts, elephants, dragons, or other large creatures were standing on them?  Bridges won't work and may deconstruct if triggered when creatures over a certain size are standing on them or in the way of the bridge closing or extending.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9936 on: March 23, 2011, 08:54:49 am »

I have a question. How come I can kill
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
with a sword or other weapon? Is the realism given up for the game aspect here?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9937 on: March 23, 2011, 08:58:03 am »

Creatures made out of "weird" substances will be incredibly easy to kill, due to all those substances having placeholder values when used as a bodypart.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9938 on: March 23, 2011, 10:53:25 am »

Your dwarves are dispersing the gas.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9939 on: March 23, 2011, 01:31:47 pm »

Creatures made out of "weird" substances will be incredibly easy to kill, due to all those substances having placeholder values when used as a bodypart.

Once better values are put in later, these creatures will become much tougher (although gas/liquid creatures might still be incredibly flimsy due to the material). Possibly there will be special rules for liquid/gas cohesiveness or immunity to weapons.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9940 on: March 23, 2011, 02:48:18 pm »

So I assume this is possible, but didn't see any place which discussed the specifics. I'm setting up my first water reactor to power a pump stack and I'm wondering if I can consolidate all of the power to a single "power line". As in, can I set up a power plant containing many water reactors and have all of their power feed to a single axle or gear assembly? Are there any rules that I should know about concerning this? How is the power then split if I split the line in two?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9941 on: March 23, 2011, 02:52:45 pm »

Gears and axles can transmit infinite power, and any object along the connected power train can draw the entire power of the whole system.  The game sums the entire power generated by all the wheels, and compares it to the entire power needed to turn every pump, gear, or axle in the system, and if there's insufficient power the entire thing halts.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9942 on: March 23, 2011, 03:03:18 pm »

Gears and axles can transmit infinite power, and any object along the connected power train can draw the entire power of the whole system.  The game sums the entire power generated by all the wheels, and compares it to the entire power needed to turn every pump, gear, or axle in the system, and if there's insufficient power the entire thing halts.

So then, in your experience is it better to have the one axle power everything, or to separate items out so that you can shut down individual items as necessary?

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9943 on: March 23, 2011, 03:09:51 pm »

Complete newb here.

My squad captain doesn't seem to be training with the rest of the dwarves. All his skills have gone rusty. Anyone know if there's a way to encourage him? (I've set the dwarves to the correct schedule and he's definitely gone the correct equipment for training (an axe and a shield). I've also set the required number of dwarves to two and to three, and disabled all labours on him...)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: March 23, 2011, 03:45:51 pm »

So then, in your experience is it better to have the one axle power everything, or to separate items out so that you can shut down individual items as necessary?
It's always a good idea to be able to shut your pump stacks off individually.  You can still do this with one drive train, just place a lever-controlled gear at each load.
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 1178