Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115891 times)

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9540 on: March 09, 2011, 03:15:46 am »

A warhammer in a weapon trap can knock it's victim away, right? Same as when hammerdwarfs send enemies flying?
nope, afaik they stay on the square.

But a half-dozen training spears ought to get 'em to dodge.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9541 on: March 09, 2011, 09:36:11 am »

A warhammer in a weapon trap can knock it's victim away, right? Same as when hammerdwarfs send enemies flying?
nope, afaik they stay on the square.

But a half-dozen training spears ought to get 'em to dodge.
this is actually fairly ridiculous. they almost always dodge (and fall down 5z into my river mwahaha)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9542 on: March 09, 2011, 11:28:10 am »

Will dogs cause invaders to dodge even if they are on a z-level above or below, but within line of sight?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9543 on: March 09, 2011, 11:32:02 am »

Will dogs cause invaders to dodge even if they are on a z-level above or below, but within line of sight?
no, dodging is only during combat.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9544 on: March 09, 2011, 11:33:43 am »

You won't get "oh sh*t, i see a dog! lemme jump in this hole!", but if a dog can enter combat with the baddie, the baddie can dodge away from it's strikes.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9545 on: March 09, 2011, 12:01:43 pm »

Where do artifact gems get stored? I've had one lying around my trade depot for a few years now and no one seems to know which stockpile to put it in...
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9546 on: March 09, 2011, 12:05:07 pm »

Artifact gems should count as Large Gems, which go in the Finished Goods stockpile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9547 on: March 09, 2011, 12:13:35 pm »

You could also make a "treasure room", an everything stockpile, deep in the fortress, restricted to legendary quality items.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9548 on: March 09, 2011, 12:19:50 pm »

You could also make a "treasure room", an everything stockpile, deep in the fortress, restricted to legendary quality items.

Ahh, I totally forgot you could sort by quality! Thankyou my good man, I now have a very dwarfy treasure room filled with exceptional, masterwork and artifact quality treasure, high quality cut jewels and bars of gold, silver and platinum!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9549 on: March 09, 2011, 12:52:57 pm »

/facepalm.

thanks for the info.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9550 on: March 09, 2011, 07:46:11 pm »

For the military, is there any point to setting training to anything other than the default (10 train all year round)?
I haven't noticed anyone starving like I read from the wiki. All they do is eat, sleep, drink, and train.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9551 on: March 09, 2011, 08:18:49 pm »

They can get annoyed from being on active duty for a long time.

They also get annoyed if they are removed from duty and have no civilian skills, so depending on the dwarf it might not matter either way.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9552 on: March 09, 2011, 08:22:43 pm »

For the military, is there any point to setting training to anything other than the default (10 train all year round)?
I haven't noticed anyone starving like I read from the wiki. All they do is eat, sleep, drink, and train.
They can get annoyed from being on active duty for a long time.

They also get annoyed if they are removed from duty and have no civilian skills, so depending on the dwarf it might not matter either way.

You can get around the unhappiness by assigning them a civilian labor of some kind (I often make military dwarves with no other marketable skills masons.)

Setting them to have an entire month off allows them to do their civilian job, which helps them avoid "long patrol duty" unhappy thoughts. Additionally, if you set the train orders to be 1 below the squad size then a random recruit will take the month off. Using both of these methods makes "long patrol duty" thoughts extremely rare.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9553 on: March 09, 2011, 08:23:21 pm »

If a dwarf can't leave to eat/drink/sleep because you've set it so all 10 dwarfs in the squad must be training at all times, they'll get angry at long patrol duty.  They'll still head off to eat/drink/sleep, though; they'll just be grumpy that they weren't allowed a break in which to do it.    (At least, I am PRETTY SURE this is how it works.)

Question:  Are constructed fortifications vulnerable to building destroyers?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9554 on: March 09, 2011, 08:26:02 pm »

No, there are no constructions vulnerable to building destroyers.
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 1178