Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115881 times)

Concrete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9525 on: March 08, 2011, 03:40:12 pm »

I haven't really played with the agrarian aspect of the game up to this point, so help me out here

I've begun to process rock nuts at a windmill powered millstone, and have built the necessary screw press to mash the resulting rock nut cakes into oil. My question is that the order to "Press liquid from paste" is blotted out in red for the screw press, meaning it cannot be done; so, what exactly else to I need?

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9526 on: March 08, 2011, 03:43:08 pm »

I haven't really played with the agrarian aspect of the game up to this point, so help me out here

I've begun to process rock nuts at a windmill powered millstone, and have built the necessary screw press to mash the resulting rock nut cakes into oil. My question is that the order to "Press liquid from paste" is blotted out in red for the screw press, meaning it cannot be done; so, what exactly else to I need?

If you're playing 31.19 (it's possible that the problem still exists in 31.20, but I haven't tried yet) you need to remove your rock nut paste from its stockpile, by undesignating the stockpile that it's on and forbidding it from your remaining food stockpiles. There was, or is, a bug that won't recognize certain items as being present for use when they're stockpiled.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9527 on: March 08, 2011, 04:14:36 pm »

Is it no longer required to update savegames? I didn't want to abandon my Terracotta dwarf collection, but I don't see the savegameupdater :/
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9528 on: March 08, 2011, 05:07:45 pm »

Are oceans and lakes crucial to gameplay? And, if not, can they be removed? They take up valuable land space that could be full of stuff that's actually interesting and useful!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9529 on: March 08, 2011, 05:19:26 pm »

Are oceans and lakes crucial to gameplay? And, if not, can they be removed? They take up valuable land space that could be full of stuff that's actually interesting and useful!
No. I usually gen advanced worlds with elevation jacked to 100 as a minimum. However, that means there won't be wetlands or deserts, either.
Is it no longer required to update savegames? I didn't want to abandon my Terracotta dwarf collection, but I don't see the savegameupdater :/
DF doesn't have a savegame updater. Generally porting a save to a newer version will work just fine (copy/paste from old to new). However, some features from newer versions require genning a new world.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9530 on: March 08, 2011, 05:30:11 pm »

A flying forgotten beast of poisonous fun went right by my defenses and rampaged through my fortress :/ The resulting mess killed just about everyone...

I'm trying to generate a world that doesn't go from +28 to -157, how would I do this? Would setting cavern layer to 1, Z levels above ground to 5, maximum openness to 40, and levels above layer 1 mean my worlds would be (mountains excluded) +5 to -40? 100 Z level pumpstacks are rather tiring to build, and 100 spaces is too far for a dwarf to make regular hikes.

I need help with learning custom embark, I just generated a world and I have 6 different biomes cut and pasted in 6 nice little squares. Or close to squares. My ocean is yellow.

Or is there a way to just generate a world with 1 cavern layer without using custom parameters?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:02:38 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9531 on: March 08, 2011, 06:03:25 pm »

How do i use mineral_scarcity worldgen paramets in .21? The more the number the more minerals i get? Default is 2500. IS there any other pecific numbers, like 5000 etc.
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9532 on: March 08, 2011, 06:09:01 pm »

A flying forgotten beast of poisonous fun went right by my defenses and rampaged through my fortress :/ The resulting mess killed just about everyone...

I'm trying to generate a world that doesn't go from +28 to -157, how would I do this? Would setting cavern layer to 1, Z levels above ground to 5, maximum openness to 40, and levels above layer 1 mean my worlds would be (mountains excluded) +5 to -40? 100 Z level pumpstacks are rather tiring to build, and 100 spaces is too far for a dwarf to make regular hikes.

I need help with learning custom embark, I just generated a world and I have 6 different biomes cut and pasted in 6 nice little squares. Or close to squares. My ocean is yellow.

Or is there a way to just generate a world with 1 cavern layer without using custom parameters?
I thing you can mess with world_gen.txt a lil', helped me a lot.
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9533 on: March 08, 2011, 06:22:30 pm »

How do i use mineral_scarcity worldgen paramets in .21? The more the number the more minerals i get? Default is 2500. IS there any other pecific numbers, like 5000 etc.
From what I understand, the lower the number the more minerals there are.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9534 on: March 08, 2011, 06:41:21 pm »

My Bowyer created an artifact crossbow... and is still only a talented Bowyer. I am fairly certain it was a mood, not a possession.
Can happen if the learning rates are messed with, but in a vanilla game you probably got a possession and didn't realise. Check the gamelog (it's in the same folder as the DF exe) to be sure.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9535 on: March 08, 2011, 07:11:28 pm »

It's mineral_scarcity, so the higher the value, the more scarce minerals will be.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: March 08, 2011, 09:19:04 pm »

Go to Design New World with Advanced Parameters
Scroll to the base parameters you want to edit and press 'e' (I prefer to use Medium Regions myself)
Page down to Cavern Layer Number and set that to 1.
Back out and save the parameters- I recommend also hitting 't' to change the name of the parameters so you remember which ones you've altered.

I play those settings myself for similar reasons as you. Default z's above ground level is 15, and the very bottom of the map (not counting mountains) is at -33 on my current fort. I've hit the first cavern layer at -8 and the magma sea at -18.

Having only one cavern layer means that that cavern will have creatures/plants that appear in any cavern layer, so its a rather dangerous place in there. I also set my Cavern Openness Min to 90 and Passage Density Max to 10 to create big, open, flatter caverns.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: March 08, 2011, 09:27:56 pm »

Go to Design New World with Advanced Parameters
Scroll to the base parameters you want to edit and press 'e' (I prefer to use Medium Regions myself)
Page down to Cavern Layer Number and set that to 1.
Back out and save the parameters- I recommend also hitting 't' to change the name of the parameters so you remember which ones you've altered.

I play those settings myself for similar reasons as you. Default z's above ground level is 15, and the very bottom of the map (not counting mountains) is at -33 on my current fort. I've hit the first cavern layer at -8 and the magma sea at -18.

Having only one cavern layer means that that cavern will have creatures/plants that appear in any cavern layer, so its a rather dangerous place in there. I also set my Cavern Openness Min to 90 and Passage Density Max to 10 to create big, open, flatter caverns.

You can also turn down the maximum cavern levels in the world gen, makes flatter caves. Default in min 5, max 25 levels, I turn it down to three and ten respectively.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9538 on: March 08, 2011, 10:06:52 pm »

A warhammer in a weapon trap can knock it's victim away, right? Same as when hammerdwarfs send enemies flying?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9539 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23:55 pm »

A warhammer in a weapon trap can knock it's victim away, right? Same as when hammerdwarfs send enemies flying?
nope, afaik they stay on the square.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 1178