Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115477 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9330 on: March 02, 2011, 02:04:18 am »

And another one, Is there a way to stop dorfs from bringing children into danger rooms, impaled chlidren are extremely fun. Only training spears there.
Don't have females in your military, and watch out for any hauling jobs that may arise from the danger room (I have to take your ear to the refuse pile! I have to!!)

I know this is just a game, but... isn't that a tad sexist? Aren't female dwarves every bit as capable as warriors?

Perhaps when female military dwarves have children, said children could be caged inside their bedroom or pitted inside a "daycare" area?

I'm thinking a daycare center could be made that's stocked with food and booze and it has doors linked to pressure plates. Because children weigh less than adults, they can't open the doors via the pressure plate so they are effectively locked in the room. Even better, the instant they reach adulthood at 12 years they should weigh enough to open the door themselves. (Of course, this may not take into account Dwarf Fortress genetics and how some dwarves might be naturally larger or overweight. Well, in that case, I suppose the child would escape early and natural selection would take over...)

Wait... Locking children up in a "daycare" with food and booze and no adult supervision? :o That sounds a lot like child abuse! Well they are dwarves and they must look at it differently. :P

Besides, I'm thinking that children might be a bit safer around marksdwarves as they can use archery targets (and pitted enemies) for training and - if the fort is designed right and they are properly stationed - they will attack enemies at range.

Question: Will cats adopt dwarf children or infants? Or will they only adopt adults?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:10:14 am by Thundercraft »

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: March 02, 2011, 02:49:06 am »

I know this is just a game, but... isn't that a tad sexist? Aren't female dwarves every bit as capable as warriors?

There's no difference in-game, but they won't put their kids down to go fight or when in danger rooms, the kids always get slaughtered, and tantrum spirals result.

Sphalerite invented a child-sorter just like you outlined which would lock kids in a daycare, but the current versions don't support the machinery that he used, so it doesn't work now. Also, it wouldn't work on infants, which have a tendency to pop out right in the middle of a battle or a training session, with no chance to move the motherdwarf out of harm's way.

Dead babies really harsh everyone's mellow.

Danger rooms don't do much for marksdwarves, and properly-deployed marksdwarves don't usually die, so when I build an army I generally put females into the artillery and males into the melee units. But unless you have a fuckton of ore, wood, or bones, you can't support the training needs of crossbowdwarves in equal numbers to your melee squads; I usually end up with one squad of marksdwarves and 30, 40, 50+ grunts.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: March 02, 2011, 06:15:17 am »

Question: Will cats adopt dwarf children or infants? Or will they only adopt adults?

They will adopt children. I dont think they will adopt babies.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Kellaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: March 02, 2011, 10:48:10 am »

When I tell my crafts dwarf to make bolts how many per time does he make?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: March 02, 2011, 10:52:26 am »

Five bolts per bone, twenty-five per log.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: March 02, 2011, 11:06:55 am »

So I made some trainin' spears for a danger room...and my legendary carpenter made them (don't you love artifacts?~). A few of them are masterpiece. Will these kill my completely iron-clad dwarves? (They also have leather cloaks)
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: March 02, 2011, 11:14:11 am »

So I made some trainin' spears for a danger room...and my legendary carpenter made them (don't you love artifacts?~). A few of them are masterpiece. Will these kill my completely iron-clad dwarves? (They also have leather cloaks)

Nope. No matter how well-made, it's still blunt wood. I've had 10-spear uprights with 3 or 4 of them masterwork and the rest high-quality and not even a broken finger to show for it. Did seem to tire the little buggers out fast, though. Oh, and pets WILL be annihilated the first time they step into one of these bad boys. Same goes for babies. Unarmored dwarves will *probably* survive, but will likely need a visit to the doctor's. You have been warned. ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:21:44 am by myrkul »
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: March 02, 2011, 11:15:05 am »

Masterwork spears are 11 times sharper than normal spears, so they could really do some damage. In my danger rooms (with spears and -spears-) I always notice that my dwarves only get hurt by the -spears-.

Ninja'd

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: March 02, 2011, 11:15:21 am »

Meh, fuck the pets. And none of my dwarves have babies anyway.

Quick, Urist! To the danger room!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: March 02, 2011, 01:23:21 pm »

How do I start using pots as "barrels"? I managed to get one pot as a prepared food barrel(and it stored TONS),m but the rest are just lying around unused.

They need to be glazed to hole liquids, but as mentioned previously, they are really bugged right now. Supposedly this is resolved for the next bugfix release.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: March 02, 2011, 02:20:48 pm »

NINJAS
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: March 02, 2011, 02:22:50 pm »

I like how the forum seems to be more squeamish about a male-only military than torturing sentient beings to death.  :P
Memento Mori

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: March 02, 2011, 03:11:41 pm »

An elk bird killed all my geese and laid some eggs in one of my nest boxes. Should I let them hatch?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: March 02, 2011, 03:17:53 pm »

Yes...just have lots of cage traps ready.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9344 on: March 02, 2011, 03:28:25 pm »

My guard dogs have 6 spaces to live in, but they insist on living on the same space as the other and keep fighting each other.

Can't we all just get along? That rock floor is just the same as the other rock floor...
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 1178