Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115452 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #5895 on: December 10, 2010, 10:19:04 pm »

Thread and cloth usually go in first; I had to build like eight containers in my previous fort because my dwarves kept stuffing them with cloth past the limit.

how will i know when its filled with thread? and...will the suturer start going automaticaly?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: December 10, 2010, 10:49:44 pm »

How do I increase FPS? I know I shouldn't be complaining with ~42FPS at 208 dwarves, but I still want to increase it.
Cage all animals.
Wall off unused sections.
Do ambush sweeps.

That's all I can think of right now.
Of the 400 animals we have, 50 are pets and refuse to be shoved in a box.
We have no unused sections.
All the ambushes are gathered beneath an atom smasher anyway, they are dead now.

LOL 400 animals... That's probably what's killing your FPS right now. You should pit them all in a pond, as this is faster than caging every single one of them.
If things get too harsh, atom smash these animals and put the dorfs who have pets on "danger rooms", hopefully, the pets will follow them, and get killed in the process, or at least injured enough to stop messing around.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: December 10, 2010, 11:19:28 pm »

How do I increase FPS? I know I shouldn't be complaining with ~42FPS at 208 dwarves, but I still want to increase it.
Cage all animals.
Wall off unused sections.
Do ambush sweeps.

That's all I can think of right now.
Of the 400 animals we have, 50 are pets and refuse to be shoved in a box.
We have no unused sections.
All the ambushes are gathered beneath an atom smasher anyway, they are dead now.

LOL 400 animals... That's probably what's killing your FPS right now. You should pit them all in a pond, as this is faster than caging every single one of them.
If things get too harsh, atom smash these animals and put the dorfs who have pets on "danger rooms", hopefully, the pets will follow them, and get killed in the process, or at least injured enough to stop messing around.
Oh let's see, it can't be that bad considering 350 of them are caged. I'm working on a 10 z-level drop into a pit of upright +steel spears+ where the animals/invaders will be turned to Swiss Cheese.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: December 11, 2010, 12:32:53 am »

So i just killed the goblin law maker.  The civilization now no longer has any important leaders and the sieg squads are just running around like chickens with their heads cut off.  Does that mean after this sieg the civilization will be destroyed and the goblins will stop coming?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: December 11, 2010, 01:16:05 am »

What is the relationship between water pressure and pushing stuff around?

I am designing a trap room where invaders trigger a rush of water that knocks them into a happy friendly pit, but I need to make sure that the distance between the exit of the reservoir and the edge of the pit is not too large.

Any hints or research on this?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: December 11, 2010, 01:18:02 am »

So i just killed the goblin law maker.  The civilization now no longer has any important leaders and the sieg squads are just running around like chickens with their heads cut off.  Does that mean after this sieg the civilization will be destroyed and the goblins will stop coming?
They'll probably get new leaders in a few years, don't worry.

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: December 11, 2010, 02:02:11 am »

More fort has been up for several years, yet i haven't even received a liaison yet. As well, i got about 10 migrants, in two waves (4, then 6) but haven't gotten anymore in years! What is going on?
EDIT: As well, my current fortress created wealth is just shy of 49k.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:07:36 am by Mercenare »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: December 11, 2010, 02:41:40 am »

your mother civ is dead. keep all your dwarves alive and happy. births will slowly get your population up. wall of the entire map.

(btw check your "civs" screen, 'c' from the menu, to see info about civilizations. it's either not there or has no leaders)

have fun and not Fun!  ;D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: December 11, 2010, 05:50:25 am »

Is it possible to be drawn into conflict with another dwarven civilization? if, for example, you slaughter their citizens as an adventurer from the civilization you intend to play fortress mode with?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: December 11, 2010, 05:52:01 am »

attack anyone and become the enemy of their civ
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: December 11, 2010, 05:56:59 am »

attack anyone and become the enemy of their civ

Sorry, I was unclear. I understand that attacking others civs means not only that they will blacklist you, but that they will also become the enemies of your own civilization. So, what I am wondering is if this has any consequences in Fortress Mode, particularly in the case of other dwarven civs.

On top of that, I am not sure what the big differences between 3.16 and 3.18 are, but it seems that the former (or am I thinking of 3.12?) has more features. If there is someone out there who doesn't mind, a link to a relevant thread would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:08:32 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: December 11, 2010, 06:19:46 am »

there's no link between you #1 (the adventurer) and you #2 (your dwarves), unless maybe if you retire your caravan expedition somehow starts with that adventurer. i doubt it because the folks are randomly generated.
 :-\
so no.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:40:12 am by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: December 11, 2010, 07:02:23 am »

there's no link between you #1 (the adventurer) and you #2 (your dwarves), unless maybe if you retire your caravan somehow starts with that adventurer. i doubt it because the folks are randomly generated.
 :-\
so no.

Wait, what? A caravan?  :-\ Are we on the same page here? Let me give an example, to be sure.

Adventurer from Civ A attacks Civ B. Civ A and Civ B are now enemies. All adventures from Civ A will be attacked by NPCs from Civ B on sight, and viz-versa. Now, is what you are saying that in Dwarf Mode, Civ A and Civ B will not show any hostility toward each other (i.e. sieges)?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: December 11, 2010, 08:42:50 am »

well, first of all I meant expedition,  was thinking about caravans sorry  :-[

it actually depends on what else you do. technically the civs would be in an endless war, but if you kill someone from your own civ that should negate it. but anyways, why not try  ;)

hehehe I just wiped out the ONLY kobold civilization on the (small) map, only to be pushed into a 10-urist fall into water by the LAST SURVIVOR! damn.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: December 11, 2010, 08:44:53 am »

well, first of all I meant expedition,  was thinking about caravans sorry  :-[

it actually depends on what else you do. technically the civs would be in an endless war, but if you kill someone from your own civ that should negate it. but anyways, why not try  ;)

hehehe I just wiped out the ONLY kobold civilization on the (small) map, only to be pushed into a 10-urist fall into water by the LAST SURVIVOR! damn.

You can... wipe them out? That's... AMAZING. I didn't know that kobolds even had sites.. how did you do it?
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 1178