Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116567 times)

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4095 on: October 05, 2010, 01:20:38 am »

Is it possible to get military dwarves attached to things to drop those things and actually pick up that awesome steel short sword rather than carrying around an iron short sword?
Yes.  Disband the squad (or drop him from it, but disbanding will definitely work) which will force the dwarf to drop the weapon.  Then smelt the iron sword or sell it so he has no choice but to get the shiny new one.  I don't think just forbidding it will work.

My question: I had a several dwarves come back pretty messed up from a siege.  One got diagnosed with a cut on his cheek and was quickly patched up and sent on the way.  That's all great except that the chief medical dwarf failed to notice he was missing an arm and was shooting fountains of blood from his stump.  Is...  this normal?

Considering surgery and soap are broken, not to mention the dwarves' lack of limb regeneration technology, yes. I haven't had much luck with hospitals, but I've never had a doctor fix a ripped artery.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

somerandomlogin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: October 05, 2010, 01:24:50 am »

1. I got a sudden resolution change with .15 and .16. It used to be slightly stretched and rectangular, but now it's much more square. There are also a lot more (too many to keep track of) tiles visible on the screen at the same time. How do I change it back? I've tried zooming, but the tiles remain square, and although they get bigger, they also get kinda blurry. At first I thought it was because I disabled the intro, but that's not it. SDL version, by the way. Before and currently.

I guess the new .16 version stopped reading config file, and it always loads 640x300 (stretched) fonts.

You can fix it by doing this (on your own risk):
Go to directory /data/art/ in your dwarf fortress directory, then replace files 'curses_640x300.png' and 'curses_640x300.bmp' with 'curses_800x600.png' and 'curses_800x600.bmp' respectively. You should have your nice sqare fonts back.

Err. I've understood your question wrong. I had a problem opposite to what you have - I had sqare fonts, and after new version I had rectangular.

Try experimenting with init.txt file and changing back to 640x300 fonts then.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:35:51 am by somerandomlogin »
Carthage must be destroyed.
Bugs must be destroyed. Implementing new features without fixing known bugs and issues is wrong.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: October 05, 2010, 02:02:17 am »

Is it possible to get military dwarves attached to things to drop those things and actually pick up that awesome steel short sword rather than carrying around an iron short sword?
Yes.  Disband the squad (or drop him from it, but disbanding will definitely work) which will force the dwarf to drop the weapon.  Then smelt the iron sword or sell it so he has no choice but to get the shiny new one.  I don't think just forbidding it will work.

My question: I had a several dwarves come back pretty messed up from a siege.  One got diagnosed with a cut on his cheek and was quickly patched up and sent on the way.  That's all great except that the chief medical dwarf failed to notice he was missing an arm and was shooting fountains of blood from his stump.  Is...  this normal?

Considering surgery and soap are broken, not to mention the dwarves' lack of limb regeneration technology, yes. I haven't had much luck with hospitals, but I've never had a doctor fix a ripped artery.

I would at least expect him to clean and sew up the stump like he did for the cheek.  Maybe once a body part is gone, it's no longer considered actually bleeding or a wound, just missing.  Surprisingly, the dwarf did not die despite heavy blood loss even though no work/treatment was done for his missing arm.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: October 05, 2010, 02:30:10 am »

I would at least expect him to clean and sew up the stump like he did for the cheek.  Maybe once a body part is gone, it's no longer considered actually bleeding or a wound, just missing.  Surprisingly, the dwarf did not die despite heavy blood loss even though no work/treatment was done for his missing arm.

Yeah, doctors don't seem to tend to missing limbs even though there's blood loss. I would file it under bug. One of my soldiers lost a finger and he never even got diagnosed for treatment.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: October 05, 2010, 02:38:34 am »

Ok, my mayor just appointed captain guard himself, and he went to my meeting room, and killed two dwarves with his bare hands with one damn hit! Despite being "weak" in the thoughts screen, He just came to a dwarf, and smashed a brain through the scull with one hit! Then he came to barracks, came to elite swordsman in steel helmet, and did the same thing. Swordsman being dodged some first swings but it didnt help him a lot. IS IT OKAY??
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

somerandomlogin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: October 05, 2010, 03:22:31 am »

Ok, my mayor just appointed captain guard himself, and he went to my meeting room, and killed two dwarves with his bare hands with one damn hit! Despite being "weak" in the thoughts screen, He just came to a dwarf, and smashed a brain through the scull with one hit! Then he came to barracks, came to elite swordsman in steel helmet, and did the same thing. Swordsman being dodged some first swings but it didnt help him a lot. IS IT OKAY??

You need to build a jail. I had the same thing when some worker violated a mandate, and he was supposed to be locked up in a cage for that. But there was no jail. And when there is no jail / no available cage - they will recieve a beating by captain of guard (or hammer lord which is missing as all the other nobles. Damn, Toady, fix those damn nobles already!)

Otherwise just don't appoint a captain of guard. You should do fine without him.

If you decide to build a jail, you'll have more fun because imprisoned dwarves tend to die of thirst. You've been warned.
Carthage must be destroyed.
Bugs must be destroyed. Implementing new features without fixing known bugs and issues is wrong.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: October 05, 2010, 03:41:18 am »

You need to build a jail. I had the same thing when some worker violated a mandate, and he was supposed to be locked up in a cage for that. But there was no jail. And when there is no jail / no available cage - they will recieve a beating by captain of guard (or hammer lord which is missing as all the other nobles. Damn, Toady, fix those damn nobles already!)

Otherwise just don't appoint a captain of guard. You should do fine without him.

If you decide to build a jail, you'll have more fun because imprisoned dwarves tend to die of thirst. You've been warned.
That was a mayor who appointed him! without my interference! I appointed a legless dwarf to captain and made a fancy cage with a nice caterpillar like monster in mayor palace, that i trapped from the last siege, and let the mayor to be responsible of pulling the lever, that would let them to be a friends, as a punishment for mandating the making the rose gold bucklers. Actually, i find it more convenient to let the tantruming dwarves to let the steam off, and throw things and starting a fights, as they will cool down fast so, but beating make them even more unhappy (especially if they die  :)).
One more question
I always wanted to make my military dedicated to war. I mean, i assign the most useless grand masters lye makers, or adept fire burners to my army, and want them ALL THE YEAR LONG to be on duty. Month of training/month of patrolling/month of training/month of patrolling. They should be a mean soldiers, aren't they? But they always grumble about long duty, even if they only train a month, and then go to peasant work partying hard in the meeting hall. After few month of training they all got depressed, and even very unhappy. What the hell? Why don`t they enjoy being the meat for beating a reliable soldiers, that care about FORTRESS`S PEACE?

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #4102 on: October 05, 2010, 04:11:18 am »

I always wanted to make my military dedicated to war. I mean, i assign the most useless grand masters lye makers, or adept fire burners to my army, and want them ALL THE YEAR LONG to be on duty. Month of training/month of patrolling/month of training/month of patrolling. They should be a mean soldiers, aren't they? But they always grumble about long duty, even if they only train a month, and then go to peasant work partying hard in the meeting hall. After few month of training they all got depressed, and even very unhappy. What the hell? Why don`t they enjoy being the meat for beating a reliable soldiers, that care about FORTRESS`S PEACE?

I am far from a military expert, but I believe that as long they have an assigned duty, even just training, they are officially on duty, making them unhappy. You might have to set up three squads, and have them cycle through patrol - train - nothing, with one squad doing one each month.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: October 05, 2010, 04:12:53 am »

Do goblins get unhappy thoughts for being caught in the rain?

Tantrumming goblins would solve my current siege debacle.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: October 05, 2010, 04:46:05 am »

I am far from a military expert, but I believe that as long they have an assigned duty, even just training, they are officially on duty, making them unhappy. You might have to set up three squads, and have them cycle through patrol - train - nothing, with one squad doing one each month.
Yeah, that is the way, but they still get unhappy thoughts even after a month of training. Also i guess there is a little bug, when i put all my military to inactive, the will go peasant, but STILL ALL go to barracks and do individual combat drills, until i disband the squad, or remove barracks at all.

hahahahaha! You made me laugh :D
If serious, dwarves are the only creatures to get some thoughts, i guess, and even though, there should be a nice magma rain, to make dwarf tantrum of such a tiny thing.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: October 05, 2010, 04:59:35 am »

hahahahaha! You made me laugh :D
If serious, dwarves are the only creatures to get some thoughts, i guess, and even though, there should be a nice magma rain, to make dwarf tantrum of such a tiny thing.

Well, not the only ones.  Caravan folks will go insane if you don't let em leave.  I've never seen the same from goblins, though, and in one fort I had a continuous siege for 5-6 years.  (Only time I've ever seen them stick around for so long, actually.)

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: October 05, 2010, 05:02:30 am »

Well, not the only ones.  Caravan folks will go insane if you don't let em leave.  I've never seen the same from goblins, though, and in one fort I had a continuous siege for 5-6 years.  (Only time I've ever seen them stick around for so long, actually.)
I guess they go insane just by some timer triggers, not due unhappy thoughts, as dwarves do. 5 year siege? Thats impressive, i thought that by the time dwarven and human caravans would kill them.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: October 05, 2010, 05:10:49 am »

5 year siege? Thats impressive, i thought that by the time dwarven and human caravans would kill them.
If you have no Trade Depot they linger on the border of the map without attacking anyone.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: October 05, 2010, 05:20:51 am »

I guess they go insane just by some timer triggers, not due unhappy thoughts, as dwarves do. 5 year siege? Thats impressive, i thought that by the time dwarven and human caravans would kill them.
I think you're right about the timer.  As for the siege, I think it may have been bugged because it was actually 4 sieges on top of each other by the end of it.  There were something like two dozen squads milling about the countryside.  They were slaughtering the caravan guards within minutes of their spawning.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: October 05, 2010, 06:54:05 am »

How do I keep the idiots from filling all the barrels with plump helmets? I need those barrels for booze.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 1178