Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116482 times)

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4050 on: October 02, 2010, 09:36:08 pm »

so i revealed pretty much every cave and dug down to the magma to start my armor and weapon industry. but i didn't find any flux by now. should i make everything out of bronze, trade for flux and buy steel items to make my own stuff with it or should i try to go for fun metal instead?
i can see problems with all three choices so i'm not sure what to do.
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: October 02, 2010, 09:39:55 pm »

Bronze is perfectly acceptable, and you don't really need steel for an archer- and trap-heavy defense.

What's the problem with buying steel? Just max out steel anvils and steel crafts when the diplomat comes around.

The edges of the clownmetal vein are perfectly safe. Ignore anything containing an unrevealed 2x2 square.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: October 03, 2010, 12:34:31 am »

I just got a caravan and it was the first time I'd ever seen them bring nothing but what I ordered.  It was also the first time I'd ever ordered stones and blocks.  They brought nothing else because of all the weight that the stone took up, yes?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: October 03, 2010, 12:54:27 am »

Probably. Have you been ordering the same exact thing from them for years? Because I believe that plays into it as well.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: October 03, 2010, 01:19:58 am »

Nah, it was only the second dwarven caravan.  I didn't need a thing so I had them bring me some platinum and aluminum, wood and barrels.  There weren't even very many of the wood and barrels, just 5 or 6.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: October 03, 2010, 08:41:19 am »

Platinum is extremely heavy, so that's what caused it.  Also, since it was only your second caravan, it was probably on the small side to begin with.  The more you trade the bigger the caravan will get, so in a couple of years they'll be able to bring more.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: October 03, 2010, 10:57:57 am »

A Sasquatch broke my dwarf's lower spine. He seems to be handling this pretty well though -- he broke off combat and is now "resting" in one of the beds.

Is he going to be able to continue to fend off sasquatchs in the future? Or should I bequeath the remaining wardogs to the next hapless milita captain volunteer?

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: October 03, 2010, 11:57:49 am »

A Sasquatch broke my dwarf's lower spine. He seems to be handling this pretty well though -- he broke off combat and is now "resting" in one of the beds.

Is he going to be able to continue to fend off sasquatchs in the future? Or should I bequeath the remaining wardogs to the next hapless milita captain volunteer?

Nervous injuries don't heal in DF. I have a guy who's spinal tissue is bruised and I doubt he'll ever walk again. And since crutches don't work...

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: October 03, 2010, 12:34:50 pm »

Can a tree stop a floodgate from closing? The floodgate is on unsmoothed stone and my engravers won't smooth it now that the floodgate is in place. There's a sapling growing in some mud where the open floodgate is, and I don't want to close it to try to kill the sapling because that would trigger a drowning/cave-in trap.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: October 03, 2010, 12:52:04 pm »

Floodgates (like all buildings) block trees from growing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4060 on: October 03, 2010, 12:52:18 pm »

The sapling will not mature into a tree if a building is in the tile.  So long as the floodgate is there, the sapling will remain a sapling.  This applies even if the floodgate is open.  However, if you wait long enough that the sapling would have turned into a tree and then remove (as in deconstruct) the floodgate, the sapling will instantly turn into a tree.  Also, smoothing stone doesn't stop plants form growing, but constructing floors will.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: October 03, 2010, 01:31:05 pm »

Nervous injuries don't heal in DF. I have a guy who's spinal tissue is bruised and I doubt he'll ever walk again. And since crutches don't work...

Yeah, except this guy is still walking around. He managed to get into the bed after the sasquatch ran off, anyway.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: October 03, 2010, 01:40:21 pm »

I've been lazy and only been downloading DF with prepackaged graphics.  Now that .15 is out I would like to migrate my fortress over (which i usually don't do).  Is there any trick to doing this?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Wnderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: October 03, 2010, 03:23:05 pm »

What's with all the blood in the water supply? Is this from the Dwarfs washing?
All my farmers lost their farming skills. I had to go reset them. Why would a farmer have no farming skills set and a planter not have no have planting set? They might have come that way as migrants. I have 130 Dwarfs and I probably have killed that many. It was a puzzle to figure out why the farms stopped working.
My traps still aren't working and I have Mechanics.
Why do Dwarfs want to clean up the cavern while the rest of the mined living areas are all bloody?
I'm still playing 31.13 maybe I need to upgrade.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: October 03, 2010, 03:24:59 pm »

How good should my Military be before I send them into the first cavern, which still lacks any forgotten beasts to my knowledge. All I SEE in there at the moment is a tribe of about 10 swallowmen.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 1178