Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117050 times)

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3885 on: September 27, 2010, 12:54:21 pm »

I made a separate thread for this question, but it's really kind of a little question (I think), so I'll repost it here just for the heck of it.

Is it possible to change some setting somewhere, either in-game or in any of the init files or some such, so that you can only see the English names for Dwarves, Elves, Goblins etc. or, preferably, only the non-English names? I ask because I was going to start Adventurer mode but I got confused because when talking they refer to people with their English names, but in the announcement log they refer to them with their non-English names, and I think it's mixed up in some other places as well. I would like them to be consistent, preferably in their original non-English names, so that I can recognize who's who etc. Is there any way to do this, or is this not a feature?

Thanks!

I don't think this is possible, just have to get used to it.

Okay thanks, I'll do my best then to just get used to it. Or I could head over to the suggestions forum... but first I'll just try it for a bit, I suppose. Thanks again :)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3886 on: September 27, 2010, 12:55:46 pm »

Okay thanks, I'll do my best then to just get used to it. Or I could head over to the suggestions forum... but first I'll just try it for a bit, I suppose. Thanks again :)
You could always go and edit the language translation files so that the translated word was the same as the English word for every word in every Language.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: September 27, 2010, 01:54:16 pm »

My Militia Commander got hurt really bad, and he needs like three limbs to be "immobilized," but the health screen doesn't say anything about an infection. Until he succumbs to infection the next day.

Huh?

Nick

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: September 27, 2010, 02:29:01 pm »

What is up with children nowadays? First it creates an Artifact and gains legendary skill level and now is throwing a party... ... during a siege.

"A child does as it pleases!"

And reposting since I didn't get an answer last time: My militia commander has taken ownership of the entire food supply, and now the rest of my dorfs are starving to death. Is abandoning/reclaiming my only option, or is there a way to override ownership?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3889 on: September 27, 2010, 02:32:44 pm »

How has your militia commander taken ownership of the entire food supply?  That doesn't make sense.  A dwarf should only take ownership of one piece of food at a time, and only just before eating it.

The only way I know of to cancel ownership is to kill the dwarf in question, so if this one dwarf has somehow taken ownership of the entire food supply, you'll probably have to kill him to save everyone else.  Or make more food in a hurry.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: September 27, 2010, 02:35:42 pm »

How has your militia commander taken ownership of the entire food supply?  That doesn't make sense.  A dwarf should only take ownership of one piece of food at a time, and only just before eating it.

The only way I know of to cancel ownership is to kill the dwarf in question, so if this one dwarf has somehow taken ownership of the entire food supply, you'll probably have to kill him to save everyone else.  Or make more food in a hurry.

In my last fort I had a "turnip hoarder" who took all the forts turnips and kept them in his room. I would presume that this is the sort of thing that proxn_punkd is talking about.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: September 27, 2010, 02:36:37 pm »

Every food item on the map is tagged "Owner: (Urist McGreedyGuts), militia commander". And now she won't go out and harass the wildlife ("Solder: Cannot follow orders").

Quick, I need instructions on a Dwarven Atom-Smasher drawbridge and an excuse to get her under it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: September 27, 2010, 02:43:11 pm »

Every food item on the map is tagged "Owner: (Urist McGreedyGuts), militia commander". And now she won't go out and harass the wildlife ("Solder: Cannot follow orders").

Quick, I need instructions on a Dwarven Atom-Smasher drawbridge and an excuse to get her under it.

Well, if you have a "dummy" lever, you can assign that to only be used by the victim.
Make sure the victim is not currently active in the military, so they will take lever-pulling duties.
On the route to the dummy lever (often right next to it), have a room entirely taken up by a drawbridge, with a door at the entrance.
Once the dwarf has been lured in by the lever-pulling job, lock the door and have another dwarf pull the lever you connected to the drawbridge. Repeatedly. With prejudice.
To save you having to lock the door manually, the dummy lever can be connected to the entrance door, but this leaves you with a door locked by a lever, with no one on the lever-side to re-open it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:45:15 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

jogar2

• Bay Watcher
  • It's just like a mini-mall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: September 27, 2010, 02:51:52 pm »

My Militia Commander got hurt really bad, and he needs like three limbs to be "immobilized," but the health screen doesn't say anything about an infection. Until he succumbs to infection the next day.

Huh?

Did the hospital have any soap? If not, any wounds that needed cleaning got water instead. That can lead to infection... *especially* if your well had gone dry and they had to scoop water out of a mud puddle outside.... that a goblin had just crapped in... after eating all your spoiled camel milk cheese.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: September 27, 2010, 05:40:42 pm »

Mine's no longer an issue. The glitched goblins in the neighborhood suddenly decided to want us dead, and much fun was had.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: September 27, 2010, 05:49:32 pm »

Another thread got me thinking about this . . .

I have a king, a count, and a mayor, in the most recent game version.  I have the option to set the count and mayor positions as "leave vacant."  With a king around, there are no more diplomats arriving at my fortress seeking an audience with nobility (a known issue, if I recall).  So . . . is there anything stopping me from leaving two out of three useless noble positions empty?  Will my king cover the "talk with disgruntled workers" job?

--Rexfelum

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: September 27, 2010, 06:43:57 pm »

Huh?

Did the hospital have any soap? If not, any wounds that needed cleaning got water instead. That can lead to infection... *especially* if your well had gone dry and they had to scoop water out of a mud puddle outside.... that a goblin had just crapped in... after eating all your spoiled camel milk cheese.
No. I had no soap. The whole fort is 20 guys, so I don't have that industry up and running yet.

But that wasn't the question. I know perfectly well *how* he could have gotten an infection, and *how* that could have killed him.

What I do not know is why none of his injuries had the purple "infected" text, and the health screen under status did not have a purple If. I have had many, many, many dwarves die of infections, and all had every infected injury marked from their individual health screen, and a purple In on the z health screen.

Nick

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: September 27, 2010, 07:31:39 pm »

Huh?

No. I had no soap. The whole fort is 20 guys, so I don't have that industry up and running yet.

But that wasn't the question. I know perfectly well *how* he could have gotten an infection, and *how* that could have killed him.

What I do not know is why none of his injuries had the purple "infected" text, and the health screen under status did not have a purple If. I have had many, many, many dwarves die of infections, and all had every infected injury marked from their individual health screen, and a purple In on the z health screen.

Nick

Were they waiting for diagnosis? I've had dwarves die while waiting for my crack team of medics to get down there and check that oozing purple sore.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: September 27, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »

So many migrants!! I switched up to 31.14 recently from 31.12. I'm in year 2, summer, and my population just reached 40. Before this migrant wave, my pop was at 13. I've never had this many migrants show up at once, is this a fluke or does .14 always have insane numbers of migrants show up?

jogar2

• Bay Watcher
  • It's just like a mini-mall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: September 27, 2010, 08:24:47 pm »

What I do not know is why none of his injuries had the purple "infected" text, and the health screen under status did not have a purple If.

I've had dwarves die of infection with no apparent warning, including one recently who I thought for sure was on the mend. I assumed it was because the infection was so rapid?? I know that FB syndromes can have a large variety of pace of effect. Maybe infections are the same way.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 1178