Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117975 times)

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3510 on: September 17, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »

Are any of your soldiers peasants in civilian life? Dwarves with military skills and no civilian skills don't like being "deactivated" (they usually switch to civilian mode when training).

Yeah that's probably what's wrong, so all I have to do is just activate a random skill and it won't bother him?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3511 on: September 17, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »

Are any of your soldiers peasants in civilian life? Dwarves with military skills and no civilian skills don't like being "deactivated" (they usually switch to civilian mode when training).

Yeah that's probably what's wrong, so all I have to do is just activate a random skill and it won't bother him?
He needs to actually have some skill above 'dabbling' in the skill, so you'll have to have him do enough work with the skill to gain a little experience.  Make it something easy like stone detailing and have him smooth a hallway or two.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: September 17, 2010, 05:36:02 pm »

I set [POPULATION_CAP:10] in d_init.txt and d_init.phoebus.txt, but my first wave of immigrants bumped me up to 14 population.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: September 17, 2010, 05:59:26 pm »

So I need to have to have the pump just above the area I want it to flood? And yet connected to the source of it's water?
Do I just need to build a pipe thats on the same z-level as the water it needs?

Can a pump be operated like a floodgate or does it need to be operated manually? Like right next to it.

Ultimately, you will learn it best by doing it.  You'll probably flood a fortress or two.  Then your next fortress will be better!

Anyway:

• Water wants to go downhill.  It also wants to go from a place where there's high pressure (lots of water) to a place where there's low pressure (not much water).
  • So, let's suppose you have a tunnel, which is a straight line 10 tiles long.  Suppose there's a pile of water (depth 7/7) at one end.  Some of the water will move to the next square, so you'll have a 6/7 pile at the end and a 1/7 pile next to that.  Then, later, some more will move.  Then maybe some of the second pile will move to the next open square, etc.
  • Water that's at depth 1/7 will evaporate if left alone.
  • Putting the previous two points together, your tunnel will eventually have a bunch of 1/7 water tiles, but probably not 7 of them.  It may be 5 or 6 of them by the time the evaporation and the spreading finish their work.  When those all evaporate, you'll have muddy tiles (maybe 5 or 6, depends on how far the water spread).
  • A pump draws water up one Z level from the "front" of the pump and makes it appear at the "back" of the pump.  It does this very, very quickly.  You'll get a 7/7 pile of water at the back of the pump almost immediately.
  • Pumps can be stacked on top of each other, drawing the water up and up, back and forth, as high as needed, as long as you can provide enough power.
  • If you want to flood an area, you need a source of water.  Then you need to move the water to the place you want to flood.  If your water is lower than the area, then you'll need one pump for each Z level it must rise.  (Unless you want to use buckets.)
  • If the water has to move a fair distance north/south/east/west (within a Z level) then you'll need to dump quite a bit of it at the start of the tunnel, to ensure that enough of it makes it to the end of the tunnel.
And finally,
  • A flooded area isn't useful by itself.  If you want dwarves to drink it, you need to build a well above it.  If you want dwarves to farm there, you need to get rid of the water, leaving just the mud.  So, make sure you have some means of getting rid of the water after the flooding (either a floodgate that opens on another tunnel for drainage, or a floor hatch that opens up to let the water fall straight down, or more pumps to pull it up and out).
That's just an overview, of  course.  Try things out and see how they work for you.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: September 17, 2010, 06:49:43 pm »

I set [POPULATION_CAP:10] in d_init.txt and d_init.phoebus.txt, but my first wave of immigrants bumped me up to 14 population.

1. Population cap has no effect on the size of a migrant wave. You can be one below your cap and still get a full wave of 25+ dwarves.

2. Population cap doesn't activate until the dwarven caravan shows up in the first autumn.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: September 17, 2010, 07:42:58 pm »

Is my floodgate leaking water?
Code: [Select]
XFX
XWX
XWX
XWX
XWX

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: September 17, 2010, 07:45:34 pm »

The X are walls, right? If so, no.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: September 17, 2010, 09:28:13 pm »

What is the best weapon to build with adamantine? Battle axe, short sword or spear?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: September 17, 2010, 09:45:01 pm »

Does anyone know why elf merchants keep going insane? I don't have a trading depot because I really don't need to trade. If I want something, I just kill the trader (have not done so this game). But why do they keep going insane? Just had one go berserk on me at the edge of the map.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: September 17, 2010, 09:46:06 pm »

Does anyone know why elf merchants keep going insane? I don't have a trading depot because I really don't need to trade. If I want something, I just kill the trader (have not done so this game). But why do they keep going insane? Just had one go berserk on me at the edge of the map.
They want to sell you useless goods so much they go berserk over it.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: September 17, 2010, 09:53:24 pm »

What is the best weapon to build with adamantine? Battle axe, short sword or spear?

Scourge. Best weapon that dwarves make? Axe.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: September 17, 2010, 10:02:17 pm »

They want to sell you useless goods so much they go berserk over it.

I don't remember checking, but I think this area is evil (says nobody wants to enter this terrifying area). Does that have something to do with it?

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: September 17, 2010, 10:06:37 pm »

I don't have a strong military (only a militia commander) and about 10 War Dogs.

Should about 4 be able to take on trogs and trolls fairly easily?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: September 17, 2010, 10:37:39 pm »

Why do my dwarves have "slept without proper room recently?" I checked and this is from a dwarf that just woke up from a bed in a dormitory made entirely of gold (except for wooden beds).

I also get noise complaints even though the room is walled in and the opening has a door. There is a nearby forge, is that making the noise?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:53:05 pm by vassock »

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: September 17, 2010, 10:56:54 pm »

Why do my dwarves have "slept without proper room recently?" I checked and this is from a dwarf that just woke up from a bed in a dormitory made entirely of gold (except for wooden beds).

I also get noise complaints even though the room is walled in and the opening has a door. There is a nearby forge, is that making the noise?

Your dwarf wants a room of it's own, also in Dorffort the sound of a chair being dragged on stone is loud enough to wake up several rooms, even through walls.

They don't even hear the forge.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 1178