Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118272 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3315 on: September 13, 2010, 07:37:19 am »

2. I had read several places that if I go down deep enough there will also be magma. I have gone down as far as the game will allow (-9) and I do not see any magma? Do I need to send a dwarf digging his way down there to be able to see it? Same goes for the underground caves I don't see any at all. Do I need to dig down at random until I run into one to be able to see it?
You are probably playing on an older version, 40d, which did not have the magma sea or cavern layers.  You need to be playing DF2010 to have those features.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: September 13, 2010, 07:47:24 am »

2. I had read several places that if I go down deep enough there will also be magma. I have gone down as far as the game will allow (-9) and I do not see any magma? Do I need to send a dwarf digging his way down there to be able to see it? Same goes for the underground caves I don't see any at all. Do I need to dig down at random until I run into one to be able to see it?
You are probably playing on an older version, 40d, which did not have the magma sea or cavern layers.  You need to be playing DF2010 to have those features.

He means absolute z-levels, not relative-to-ground z-levels. Even in 40d, the minimum number of z-levels was 15.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: September 13, 2010, 03:43:26 pm »

How do I figure out if a map has HFS, and how do I go to a low Z-level? I can only go to ONE HUNDRED TWENTY SEVEN (127!)!
This conversation is about 3x as bad as any in the mermaid thread. We are discussing which race of children works best as a weapon.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: September 13, 2010, 04:20:31 pm »

How do I figure out if a map has HFS, and how do I go to a low Z-level? I can only go to ONE HUNDRED TWENTY SEVEN (127!)!
In DF2010, every map has HFS. To change your z-level, < and > are up and down respectively.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: September 13, 2010, 04:21:30 pm »

HFS as it is most often known is at the very bottom of the map, which is quite deep in your case. You are guaranteed a way down there in any site 3x3 embark tiles or greater in size. There is another type that is much less common, and can be identified from embark by checking your stocks screen or "created" wealth figure. If you see an ☼adamantine (choose one: short sword, long sword, scimitar,two-handed sword)☼ under the "weapons" section of your stocks menu or you have a high architecture-based wealth at the beginning of play, you have the second type. I won't tell you what either one is.

For your second question, 127 levels below ground is extremely low.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: September 13, 2010, 04:59:18 pm »

How do I delete early save games? I get lots of files and a big file size by year 5 and it only gets bigger. It's also hard to find which one is the latest.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: September 13, 2010, 05:01:45 pm »

Another militia question - sorry if I'm asking too much, but the number of 'doh' moments I've had where simple but unlikely things make huge improvements is overwhelming, and I'm hoping for one here.

Goblin ambush - sent out two squads to see if they can actually do something useful this time, and find that 3 of them have gone to assault 7 goblins, while the other 7 are 'watching shield demonstration'. Any hints?
The demonstration-watchers are busy, so they won't attack until the demonstration is over. The other three weren't busy, so they promptly obeyed your orders. This is just how your loveable little dorfy idiots think.

To get most of the squad to attack at once you have to station them somewhere nearish the goblins. When seven or eight get there you attack. You may still run into problems even if you do this, especially if your squad doesn't all walk at the same speed.

Note that I said "most of the squad." Somebody will always be tired or hungry, so you'll (almost) never get all ten to do anything at the same time.

BTW, depending on your equipment you could do fine even with a 3-on-7. When I manage to armor my guys completely in Iron, and get them decent-quality steel axes, one of them can eat seven gobboes for lunch.

Nick

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: September 13, 2010, 05:33:08 pm »

How to tell a dwarf's injuries? What does it mean if a body part is yellow?

Bao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: September 13, 2010, 05:49:09 pm »

In DF2010, every map has HFS. To change your z-level, < and > are up and down respectively.
I know how to go through Z-levels. The problem is, the game won't allow me past 127, AND it forces me to make an up staircase from there.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
HFS as it is most often known is at the very bottom of the map, which is quite deep in your case. You are guaranteed a way down there in any site 3x3 embark tiles or greater in size. <upright weapon spoiler crap>

For your second question, 127 levels below ground is extremely low.[/quote] "Extremely low"... Ground level is 144, though. Which means that's 17 levels below ground level. >_> And what, exactly, is it that you mean "3x3 embark tile"? You mean that no matter where I embark I'll get HFS, correct?
This conversation is about 3x as bad as any in the mermaid thread. We are discussing which race of children works best as a weapon.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: September 13, 2010, 05:56:41 pm »

Much. Adamantine is quite simply the best metal for armor and edged weapons.

Can one guy in full adamantine take on 5 goblins at once?
In theory he should, adamantine is extremely powerful and light, so an untrained armor user can still move pretty fast. It is so light though that it makes terrible war hammers, so be careful what he uses.

Now, if a legendary armor user, shield user, sworddwarf and fighter in full adamantine went against a siege, he would probably win if he was lucky.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: September 13, 2010, 06:10:22 pm »

About how deep will it have to be for me to find the precious blue metal?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: September 13, 2010, 06:30:47 pm »

Can I build glass bins/barrels?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: September 13, 2010, 06:32:18 pm »

About how deep will it have to be for me to find the precious blue metal?

Depends on your map. Some maps are deeper than others. I've seen magma on level 20 and on level 120. I'd say you'll see it 20-30 levels up from the bottom of the world.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: September 13, 2010, 07:41:18 pm »

How do I a) remove a downward stairway to make room for an up/down stairway and b) place an upwards stairway on a tile that's been mined out already?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3329 on: September 13, 2010, 07:48:29 pm »

How do I a) remove a downward stairway to make room for an up/down stairway and b) place an upwards stairway on a tile that's been mined out already?
Assuming you didn't construct the stairway, you don't need to remove it, just press b>C and build an up/down stairway, consequentially, this answers both questions.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 1178