Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118958 times)

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3000 on: August 30, 2010, 11:17:27 pm »

I think sometimes it can just be anything in category X, but other times it needs to be a specific type of X.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: August 30, 2010, 11:49:40 pm »

I had a guy demanding bones. He wanted 2 mule bones and a horse bone, but in the order of mule horse mule. Sometimes its kinda abnoxious.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: August 31, 2010, 07:23:36 am »

How do I destroy walls and floors?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: August 31, 2010, 07:38:47 am »

constructed walls - (d)esignate - (n)
floors -the same way, unless the floor is made out of the top of a wall, in which case, deconstruct the wall.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: August 31, 2010, 07:54:18 am »

constructed walls - (d)esignate - (n)
floors -the same way, unless the floor is made out of the top of a wall, in which case, deconstruct the wall.
Thanks heaps man.Out of all the months I have been playing DF I didn't know this D:

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: August 31, 2010, 12:03:02 pm »

Say I wanna throw caution to the wind and leave the game running by itself for a long period of time(After all, losing is fun!). How would I go about disabling the Auto-Pause feature for big announcments? The Wiki says to edit Announcment.txt in DwarfFortress/data/init, but I see no such file in that directory.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: August 31, 2010, 05:11:26 pm »

what'd happen if i tried to chain a caged goblin to a post? can i do that or will he just split the second the cage opens?

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: August 31, 2010, 05:19:59 pm »

what'd happen if i tried to chain a caged goblin to a post? can i do that or will he just split the second the cage opens?

Best thing is to bring the cage to the chain by making an animal stockpile nearby, sometimes they can drag goblins through the entire fort with no problems - other times they get scared the instant they grab them - and let them escape. Its pretty inconsistent, Goblin thieves seem to escape more, goblins from broken sieges are pretty docile. Just make sure you disarm them first.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: August 31, 2010, 05:28:50 pm »

what's wrong with the cage, you trying to start a breeding program?
Nom nom nom

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: September 01, 2010, 02:44:56 am »

Can anyone confirm/deny if giant cave spiders can shoot web through fortifications AND across z levels?  Just wondering so I don't have to find out the hard way. 

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: September 01, 2010, 04:21:48 am »

How do I get my artifact elven boot out of my leatherworks and into the stockpile that was made for it?the dwarfs will move bins into the stockpile but not the artifact

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:09 am »

Best thing is to bring the cage to the chain by making an animal stockpile nearby, sometimes they can drag goblins through the entire fort with no problems - other times they get scared the instant they grab them - and let them escape. Its pretty inconsistent, Goblin thieves seem to escape more, goblins from broken sieges are pretty docile. Just make sure you disarm them first.
I haven't played for a while now, but in my experience thieves always escape unless the distance is REALLY short. Military goblins never did. Unless something happened.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Croswell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: September 01, 2010, 10:46:28 am »

What is the proper way to build a well over water in the caverns to prevent a forgotten beast from breaking in?

I have walls around it. Do I use a floor grate, or can a swimming FB just break through that from underneath?

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: September 01, 2010, 11:00:23 am »

What is the proper way to build a well over water in the caverns to prevent a forgotten beast from breaking in?

I have walls around it. Do I use a floor grate, or can a swimming FB just break through that from underneath?
Use fortifications.

wwwww
wFFFw
wFwFw
wFFFw
wwwww

F = fortification
w = water

Have the well positioned directly above the center tile. On the z-level below, only walls. With this nothing can get into your well, not even a flying, swimming forgotten beasts. Also, all FBs swim.

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: September 01, 2010, 01:09:34 pm »

Can anyone confirm/deny if giant cave spiders can shoot web through fortifications AND across z levels?  Just wondering so I don't have to find out the hard way.

My experience with GCDs is only in 40d (sadly), they didn't fire down or up z levels then, and I'm pretty sure they can fire through fortifications but it might effect their accuracy
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 1178