Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118944 times)

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2985 on: August 30, 2010, 08:18:48 am »

How does one go about releasing a dwarf from a dwarf cage? They aren't animals, so they can't be accessed through any of the animal screens... These guys are elite soldiers; I need them back ASAP!

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: August 30, 2010, 09:07:14 am »

Build the cage, hook it up to a lever and pull the lever!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: August 30, 2010, 09:36:11 am »

How do I pull a lever on adventure mode?
Nevermind

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: August 30, 2010, 02:45:36 pm »

Hey guys, does number of caged animals have an effect on FPS?
cause I've got something like 10 pages of animals, but they're all caged
I'm going on a mass slaughetering spree, converting all  10 of my craftsdwarves into my butcheries...
will this help my FPS at all, or am I just wasting my time?
I've already dammed my river, drained my moats, and put graphical FPS to 5, but I still can't get anything over 10-12 FPS
any tips?

Caged creatures shouldn't effect your fps, its their running around everywhere that makes more work for your cpu and drops your fps.

Some things i've found that improve my fps
Wall off any areas that your dwarfs dont need to go to. - like long corridors that dont lead to anything - wall them off.

Try to avoid building rooms or corridors that have multiple exits or entrances, one way systems work best i.e you enter the kitchen area - you have to leave by the same way you came in.

Avoid vast amounts of stockpiles, this creates more cpu problems when you have a large amount of dwarfs looking for an item, they (your comp) checks every stockpile for it.
Trade off or give away any stuff you dont need to caravans, more items on your map is more work for your cpu.

Get used to using ramps instead of stairs for z level movement - ramps are more restrictive so less choices for dwarfs to path to different tiles. Huge z level staircases are apparently quite bad for your fps if you have 100 dwarfs using it frequently.

Avoid using doors - these slow down the pathfinding as well

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: August 30, 2010, 05:29:16 pm »

quick question:
My farmer keeps cancelling plant seeds: seeds unavailable. I check the kitchen, and I have 50? plump helmet spawn, but I can't find it in any of my stockpiles. Occasionally some will just come to exist, either when the brewer makes some delicious dwarvan wine or on the whim of the seed fairies. I tried making a stockpile for just seeds, but the dwarves don't seem to use it. Any advice for finding my rogue plump helmet spawn?

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: August 30, 2010, 06:03:18 pm »

Not sure about the kitchen menu, but I know seeds that are planted are reported as part of your stocks in the stocks menu.  Maybe those 50 are already in the ground?  If you go to the stocks, seeds, hit tab (you need a bookkeeper), then select a seed and hit z, it will take you to the location of that seed.  If I recall, the color of the seed will also be blue if its currently planted.

Is it uncommon to have no rain for years on end in a temperate biome with a wet season?  I get messages like "the wet season is here!" and not a drop of water.  It did rain quite a bit a few years into the fort, but no so much the last couple.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: August 30, 2010, 06:12:19 pm »

Weather is dynamic, so there will be warmer/colder and wetter/drier years.

Luewen82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: August 30, 2010, 06:18:14 pm »

Hey guys, does number of caged animals have an effect on FPS?
cause I've got something like 10 pages of animals, but they're all caged
I'm going on a mass slaughetering spree, converting all  10 of my craftsdwarves into my butcheries...
will this help my FPS at all, or am I just wasting my time?
I've already dammed my river, drained my moats, and put graphical FPS to 5, but I still can't get anything over 10-12 FPS
any tips?

Caged creatures shouldn't effect your fps, its their running around everywhere that makes more work for your cpu and drops your fps.

Some things i've found that improve my fps
Wall off any areas that your dwarfs dont need to go to. - like long corridors that dont lead to anything - wall them off.

Try to avoid building rooms or corridors that have multiple exits or entrances, one way systems work best i.e you enter the kitchen area - you have to leave by the same way you came in.

Avoid vast amounts of stockpiles, this creates more cpu problems when you have a large amount of dwarfs looking for an item, they (your comp) checks every stockpile for it.
Trade off or give away any stuff you dont need to caravans, more items on your map is more work for your cpu.

Get used to using ramps instead of stairs for z level movement - ramps are more restrictive so less choices for dwarfs to path to different tiles. Huge z level staircases are apparently quite bad for your fps if you have 100 dwarfs using it frequently.

Avoid using doors - these slow down the pathfinding as well

Hmm, i wonder how staircases can lower fps more than ramps as they basically do same job.
Same for doors. Would think that they would lower fps if you put doors and lock them. As they are easy to open if you need to go to walled area again for some reason.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: August 30, 2010, 06:59:15 pm »

I hate to press the point, but I need to find those damn seeds. The grower is cancelling 30 - 200 plant plump helmet spawn jobs constantly, and its slowing down the game a significant amount (~15 fps). Stocks say i have plenty, but i don't have a book keeper good enough to keep track of 200 plus seeds. Advice?

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: August 30, 2010, 07:47:05 pm »

Stocks say i have plenty, but i don't have a book keeper good enough to keep track of 200 plus seeds. Advice?

You've answered your own question. You need to train your bookkeeper. It doesn't take long at all to get him up to Medium (3 significant digits) or even High (4 significant digits) precision.

(n)obles->pick bookkeeper->(s)ettings. Set to High precision if you need him working on other stuff as well, or Highest precision if you can afford to have him sit in his office for a few months. (There's a HUGE jump in time needed between the High and Highest settings). If you can't set his settings, he needs an office: (b)uild a (c)hair, (q)-designate it into a room, then (a)ssign it to him. Now that he has an office, (n)obles->(s)ettings will work.

Once you have at least 3 digits of precision in your stockpile screen, you should be able to (z)oom to any given seed (hit Tab first to get into "show individual items" mode rather than showing piles).

P.S. I just realized that I'm assuming your bookkeeper has at least 1 point of skill in Record Keeping. If you have nothing but dabbling Record Keepers, this might be harder. I've never embarked without at least a point in Record Keeping on one of my dwarves, so I don't know what 0 points would do.
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: August 30, 2010, 08:10:48 pm »

P.S. I just realized that I'm assuming your bookkeeper has at least 1 point of skill in Record Keeping. If you have nothing but dabbling Record Keepers, this might be harder. I've never embarked without at least a point in Record Keeping on one of my dwarves, so I don't know what 0 points would do.

And therein lies the problem. Hopefully one of the migrants has record keeping...

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: August 30, 2010, 08:38:48 pm »

And therein lies the problem. Hopefully one of the migrants has record keeping...

Found it. Since I know you're all curious, I'll explain what happened to the 20 some missing seeds. Apparently when they built the fishery, they built it ontop of the bag of seeds. So the spawn was buried under lumber and dead fish. Crazy. Thank you everyone for your help, I now know how useful book keepers are.

New question. Is there a way to turn off auto-pause for when they find damp / warm stone?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:03:37 pm by Tsukenta »

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: August 30, 2010, 10:59:48 pm »

So... I have a mood issue.

My smithy has decided to be all secretive and gather a bunch of crap.

My current problem is, the guy is drawing pictures of stacks of cloth as his next required item, and isn't grabbing any. Despite the fact that my fort is practically overflowing with cloth.

I had put him in a burrow around only his shop earlier whilst I gathered the stuff he wanted, then deleted the burrow afterwards so he could gather the stuff.

So why won't he gather the cloth?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: August 30, 2010, 11:00:59 pm »

My current problem is, the guy is drawing pictures of stacks of cloth as his next required item, and isn't grabbing any. Despite the fact that my fort is practically overflowing with cloth.

I had put him in a burrow around only his shop earlier whilst I gathered the stuff he wanted, then deleted the burrow afterwards so he could gather the stuff.

perhaps he wants specifically silk or plant cloth?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: August 30, 2010, 11:07:54 pm »

perhaps he wants specifically silk or plant cloth?

Right, I forgot about the silk/plant differentiation.

Now to hope I manage to catch a cave spider before the guy goes nuts.

Another question; the same mason also refuses to use anything besides silver - when I forbid all the silver, he just sits there without claiming any other metals. Is this a glitch, or just an annoying part of the guy's obsession with silver?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 1178