Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119698 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2880 on: August 25, 2010, 08:32:16 pm »

Human seiges pretty much just consist of them chillaxing outside and murdering any dwarves they see. They won't actively persue like goblins will.

The seige will end once they all retreat (caused by killing enough of them or thier squad leaders) or when they're all dead.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: August 25, 2010, 08:44:46 pm »

Human seiges pretty much just consist of them chillaxing outside and murdering any dwarves they see. They won't actively persue like goblins will.

The seige will end once they all retreat (caused by killing enough of them or thier squad leaders) or when they're all dead.

So... they won't run blindly into your trapyard if there's a door "open"?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: August 25, 2010, 09:13:06 pm »

Ugh, guess that means I gotta send some dorfs out there to die.  I was hoping we could just wait them out.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: August 25, 2010, 10:12:44 pm »

In my experience they will eventually charge in. But it may take several seasons for them to decide to attack.

Eventually any siege will get bored and leave, though. Human or no. Waiting it out can take a season, or a year, it depends, but be ready for the long haul.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: August 25, 2010, 10:30:07 pm »

I was just subject to a brief gobbo siege led by their Civ's leader -- Master Ur Burnedthrew the Eviscerated. He's an FB that gives off noxious fumes, which immobilized the squad of Hammergobboes he was leading.

Approximately three days into the siege it was over.

Ur Burnedthrew survived, but fled. He's no longer listed as Civ leader, and legends mode says he lost the job right after he led the siege on my guys.

I did not know that could happen.

Does anybody know the mechanics behind this little coup, whether I'll ever get the opportunity  to kill Mr Burnthrew the Eviscerated, and (most importantly) whether I'll get more gobboe sieges.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: August 26, 2010, 12:22:06 am »

Goblin squads normally flee at the first sign of trouble. Having everyone else in the squad knocked out was considered trouble, so they retreated. And apparently losing a battle is grounds for impeachment of a goblin leader.

Ur Burnedthrew will probably not be coming back to your fortress, but you may be able to hunt him down in Adventure mode if he settles somewhere you can find him. And you most certainly will get more, bigger goblin sieges, and they probably won't knock themselves out.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: August 26, 2010, 12:56:35 am »

I've not been playing DF for some time. Just a little question: is military in DF still bugged? I mean do military dwarves train and do all their duties properly?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2887 on: August 26, 2010, 05:29:39 am »

A question about cave spiders. Do they exist in all biomes? And if so, do I just have to dig out a floor and leave it alone for a while for webs to accumulate? Thanks in advance.

And I haven't had any issues with the military, but I haven't messed much with crossbowmen so you might keep an eye on them.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: August 26, 2010, 07:02:51 am »

Maybe its just me, but it seems that having proficient teach has a massive effect on how fast your dwarves train
as an experiment, I brought 6 dwarves with proficient student and 1 that had proficient teacher/dodger, and within a season, they were all competent in at least dodger =D (starting from base nothing)
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: August 26, 2010, 07:14:37 am »

The military works, but there are still a few little quirks you may need to work around.  For example, some people still find it necessary to "kick start" an equipment change by temporarily changing uniform to naked and then back.  There are also balance issues, training regimen strategies (still being explored), weapon material choice surprises (blunt weapons should be heavy, not hard), and so on.

I believe you have to discover at least the first cavern layer for cave spiders to show up, but I might be wrong on that.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2890 on: August 26, 2010, 07:32:42 am »

A question about cave spiders. Do they exist in all biomes? And if so, do I just have to dig out a floor and leave it alone for a while for webs to accumulate? Thanks in advance.
Cave spiders only exist sometimes.  Look on your stock list for cave spider webs and then dig out an open floor near them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: August 26, 2010, 07:36:42 am »

Thanks for answers but I still cannot understand how to make dwarves train in DF 2010 :)

And another question: is it possible to make dwarves take objects to a pile from another pile not only once when I turn on "take from pile" option, but do it constantly?

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: August 26, 2010, 07:41:23 am »

To make dwarves train
1. Make a squad [m][c] I think
2. change the alert [m][a] then change from inactive to active/training
3. designate a barracks for them, i.e, go to your barracks, scroll down to the squad and hit [t] for train, so there should be a capital T to the right of the squads name
and tahts it, they should train
also, make sure you reduce the max squad size to 1 or 2 below however many ppl you have in your squad, its set to default 10, meaning that your military will train themselves to death
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: August 26, 2010, 07:43:32 am »

How do you guys survive your first ambush?I get ambushed with about 11 dwarfs  :(

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: August 26, 2010, 08:08:29 am »

Well... I just sit the ambush out. I build cage traps at the entrance so anyone trying to come in will be caught. I also use a burrow to make them not go outside. They are usually dumb enough to come into my cage traps soon and then I win by capturing them all. You could also wait for them to leave or use other traps or if you have a good military then attack them.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 1178