Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119703 times)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2865 on: August 24, 2010, 04:59:56 pm »

There's no way to simply deactivate a pressure plate short of deconstructing it.  You can always use some kind of water logic AND gate to connect the pressure plate to an enable lever, but that is complex to build and adds delay, and can't easily be done to an already built pressure plate system.

One could provide an alternate route which bypasses the pressure plate, and use floodgates/doors/bridges/something to block access to one and open access to the other.  That is about the only method I can think of that doesn't require computing.

An example:

Code: [Select]
Side view

_ = floor
- = hatch
^ = pressureplate
#\ = ramp

_-___^___-_
#\_______/#

Link the 2 hatches to a lever, pull it to force creatures to path underneath the PP when you want to 'deactivate' it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:03:24 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: August 24, 2010, 05:27:05 pm »

How do you use DF reveal?

When your game is paused, run DFreveal.exe, return to DF, look around, decide if you wish to leave it revealed or not (doing so may spawn Clowns & kill your FPS), return to the DFreveal window, & either hit [enter] to unreveal ("Any key" is inaccurate) or close the window leave the game revealed.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: August 24, 2010, 05:34:00 pm »

If possible, would anyone be able to give me world data for a map that has a volcano and river together?

Hundreds of gens and I'm no closer to my goal.

Edit: After how many tries over how many weeks, my very first try after making this post I get what I want.

Nevermind guys.

You did? Wow. Can we have the details/worldgen info/DFFD download?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: August 24, 2010, 06:13:15 pm »

How do you use DF reveal?

When your game is paused, run DFreveal.exe, return to DF, look around, decide if you wish to leave it revealed or not (doing so may spawn Clowns & kill your FPS), return to the DFreveal window, & either hit [enter] to unreveal ("Any key" is inaccurate) or close the window leave the game revealed.

Wouldn't revealing everything spam "praise the miners!" and "we have struck x!" messages?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: August 24, 2010, 06:21:07 pm »

Wouldn't revealing everything spam "praise the miners!" and "we have struck x!" messages?

It does not, thankfully. However, running the game unpaused with everything revealed triggers spoiler events.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: August 24, 2010, 10:16:11 pm »

Items stuck in fortifications. Is there anything I can do about them? Or should I just resign myself to having bones permanently encrusting my arrow slits?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: August 24, 2010, 10:56:52 pm »

You can remove the fortificaton and the (c)onstruct another one.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: August 25, 2010, 10:30:32 am »

-snip-
Nvm worked it out
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:36:41 am by kendo »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: August 25, 2010, 11:38:51 am »

I received a message telling me that "Your miners have defaced a Deduk Fikodotin!". What on Earth does that mean?
That means you qued up something that was engraved to be mined out. The creature, Deduk Fikodotin in this case, is probably quite upset that his hard work has a pickax through it now.

Question of my own; I know this has already been answered, but i'm tired of looking for it.
I have about 20 goblins in cages. I know you can [d>b>d] to mass dump everything, and I know you have to go back and deselect the cages for dumping, but how do I check the goblin's inventory? I've released goblins for military training years after queing up the dbd order, and still have dwarves get their arms lopped off because the dumpers never got around (or simply ignored) the goblin's stuff.
Your problem is that your gobboe's clothes are all forbidden, so dwarves can't touch them.

d-b-c over the cages. If you've done everything right you'll get like 40 Dump Item jobs in the job queue. Your dwarves will troops to the gobbo cages by the dozens to strip them nude.

Nick

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: August 25, 2010, 12:26:04 pm »

For some reason the above got me thinking, I know people often strip their prisoners & dump in an arena for entertainment & training, but now I'm wondering...

Do invasions include both genders? if so, can you dump them in a pit & breed them? Would this make modding Eat_Sentients:acceptable more worthwhile?

Oh, & what happens if you dump multiple races of invader in your arena with some weapons? will they go all Armand Amauric on each other? or do you also need to dump some war animals, wild animals & FBs down to start the fun?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: August 25, 2010, 12:35:21 pm »

Last time I managed to get the "breed invaders" thing to work was in 40d. I haven't tried since. But it did work... after a fashion. First, note that this was in a modded game wherein the other civs has the PET tag added and had the CAN_SPEAK tag removed.

I'm fairly sure the invaders themselves couldn't breed, but one apparently showed up already pregnant, and gave birth shortly afterwards. Now, what I think happened was that I could then tame the baby as I could any other animal, and when it grew up I had that old situation that comes about when you try to tame sentients - because they're not technically in your civ, they can do certain labours but have trouble with others, and attempting to put them into the military tended to bugger them up entirely (they acted correctly, but they didn't show up on the squad list and couldn't be given orders). But it sort of worked. There's also this recent story about a guy who got a tame ogre for a mayor... this sort of thing might work a little better in .31, and the military system's been overhauled, so who knows.

I've also honestly never heard of anyone else experiencing this behaviour. Going out on a limb, I might even suggest that the SLAVERY ethic plays a role in there somewhere... but that's just guesswork.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2876 on: August 25, 2010, 03:08:06 pm »

Will a berserk dwarf still use forbidden doors?

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: August 25, 2010, 03:22:49 pm »

Forbidden doors are considered locked. Thieves can pick locks, and building destroyers (mostly megabeasts and large humanoids) can knock them down, but nothing else can get through.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2878 on: August 25, 2010, 03:31:09 pm »

Okay, time to make a containment chamber for that dwarf that needs silk.  8) Thanks.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: August 25, 2010, 06:30:41 pm »

How long do seiges last? I feel like these humans have been loitering for almost 2 seasons.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 1178