Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123277 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #615 on: May 06, 2010, 10:10:59 pm »

Probably running with partial print on is my guess. Partial print can cause clipping, flickering and other strange display behavior on certain video cards.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 06, 2010, 10:14:51 pm »

ok i have used the search feature and have not found a solution to me question/problem. currently running DF 2010, but no matter what I put in the ini file including defaults for windowed or full screen mode I get clipping at the right side of the DF screen. I thought I could live with it at first, but is starting to get really annoying.

am I missing something here?

hit Tab a few times
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

morejolli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 06, 2010, 10:31:22 pm »

hit Tab a few times

I fail to see how that would help. Spamming F11 to go between windowed and fullscreen might work. Tab only changes the in-game windows.
Quote from: Gandalf
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 06, 2010, 10:34:22 pm »

hit Tab a few times

I fail to see how that would help. Spamming F11 to go between windowed and fullscreen might work. Tab only changes the in-game windows.

Please don't discourage him from trying the most obvious solution. If he is using default settings in windowed mode, then an actual cropped window is impossible. So either he is giving us the wrong information, or he's mistaking the default obscured view for a cropped window.

The solution to the most likely root of the problem is to hit TAB a few times and familiarize himself with the real problem.
The sigs topic:

morejolli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 06, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »

hit Tab a few times

Please don't discourage him from trying the most obvious solution. If he is using default settings in windowed mode, then an actual cropped window is impossible. So either he is giving us the wrong information, or he's mistaking the default obscured view for a cropped window.

The solution to the most likely root of the problem is to hit TAB a few times and familiarize himself with the real problem.

Seeing as he isn't new I had ruled out unfamiliarity with the Tab key. And he never specified whether the problem was occurring in windowed, full, or both, so F11 was my next best guess with limited information. Regardless, Jimmy's post about partial print makes more sense than both of ours.
Quote from: Gandalf
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #620 on: May 07, 2010, 09:19:24 am »

A few questions about things I've noticed recently:

1 - I've had 3 mayors now, and the previous mayors - despite having lost the election and not being mayor - are still mandating things.  I can't see what they want in the Noble screen.  At least finally the 1st mayor is back to being called 'Clothier', but the previous mayor and the current one are both listed in the (u) screen as 'mayor'.  Not a custom nickname, either.

2 - Has anyone else had a problem with decorated goods?  When it's time to send items to the Trade Depot, nothing that I've decorated with glass gems is visible.  Indeed, if one item has been decorated, it's  contaminated the whole bin and nothing's visible.

I'm sure there was another, but I'll think of it soon enough.

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 07, 2010, 09:27:03 am »

um... I am not that knew that I don't know the  basic functions of the game such as tab :P.

but perhaps I should clarify a bit. I get this clipping even on the embark screen and world gen mode. I am currently using a graphic pack (mayday's) and yes this clipping occurs even on the default settings with no ini editing.

copy of the init settings.

[WINDOWEDX:1280]
[WINDOWEDY:800]
[FONT:maydayMIN.bmp]

[FULLSCREENX:1680]
[FULLSCREENY:1050]
[FULLFONT:maydayMIN.bmp]

[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:mayday.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1680]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:1050]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:mayday.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

[GRID:80:25]
[FULLGRID:80:25]

and to give you an example of where the clipping occurs on screen, say you are at the embark screen choosing a location, well if the site you are at has an aquifer, that part is cut off.

any help/advice would be great. and the problem is occurring in windowed. What is this partial print you speak of?

They told me I was daft for building a Fort on an Aquifer, but I built it all the same, just to show em'.
It flooded then caved in.
So I built a second one; that one caught fire, was besieged by orcs, and then flooded and caved in.
but the third one... stayed up! and now you can do the same! good luck to ye!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 07, 2010, 09:27:27 am »

A few questions about things I've noticed recently:

1 - I've had 3 mayors now, and the previous mayors - despite having lost the election and not being mayor - are still mandating things.  I can't see what they want in the Noble screen.  At least finally the 1st mayor is back to being called 'Clothier', but the previous mayor and the current one are both listed in the (u) screen as 'mayor'.  Not a custom nickname, either.

2 - Has anyone else had a problem with decorated goods?  When it's time to send items to the Trade Depot, nothing that I've decorated with glass gems is visible.  Indeed, if one item has been decorated, it's  contaminated the whole bin and nothing's visible.

I'm sure there was another, but I'll think of it soon enough.
1. It's a known bug. Will be fixed in next version.

2. Is there any mandate against glass exportation? If you cant see the mandates, maybe that's the problem.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:29:32 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #623 on: May 07, 2010, 09:36:55 am »

2. Is there any mandate against glass exportation? If you cant see the mandates, maybe that's the problem.

Is it set up now that you can't see trade goods that have an export prohibition?  That might explain it, since my first mayor has a thing for green glass, which I've been using to decorate ammo and such.  But it's weird that nothing's visible, and it's been this way for a few years now, but all the items are green glass.  I'm pretty sure most other encrusted goods have been visible, but I'll have a looksee next caravan if anything I've gotten off previous caravans is visible.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 07, 2010, 10:16:25 am »

If you hit a certain k ('m' IIRC) you can force the game to display trade good it's hiding because of mandates. The setting is called "Culling on mandates"

If that displays your glass items we'll know one of your three Mayors has banned glass exports.

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 07, 2010, 11:30:14 am »

Found a solution boys, thanks anyway.
They told me I was daft for building a Fort on an Aquifer, but I built it all the same, just to show em'.
It flooded then caved in.
So I built a second one; that one caught fire, was besieged by orcs, and then flooded and caved in.
but the third one... stayed up! and now you can do the same! good luck to ye!

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 07, 2010, 01:00:21 pm »

im using windowed set to 1680x1050 , grid set to res\16

in 40 d, i had no problems with the game, but the newest versions cuts the upper part of the screen and it misplaces the desingnation cursor (so if i set a tile for digging, it orders a tile thats 3 tiles "higher" to be dug out. Tabing out and in fixes it, but then it cuts the lower part.

is there a solution to that?

(btw ,i think windowed 40d covered the winbar, unlike 2010. Am i wrong?:s)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 07, 2010, 01:10:53 pm »

Hi!

Thank you Jimmy. I had hoped I could avoid the gamelog.txt as I don't like to open it with the game running. Besides, it would be neat if I could give the married couple a new bed room as a special gift on their wedding night, requiring a pause (and a more efficient fortress, I have to confess (^_^;; ). I had hoped that someone knew of a hidden tag or maybe that it was there and I simply didn't recognize it.

Another thing I am wondering about are the human and elven diplomats. Somehow, they seem to have become much rarer in 31 than in 40d: In 40d, I basically always got the human guild representative, but in 31, I rarely get that diplomat (T_T)

Deathworks

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 07, 2010, 01:47:31 pm »

I reclaimed a fort in the new version, however I can't seem to get my dwarfs to bury the old batch of dead dwarfs. How do I get them to bury the dead?
(I was  wiped out by an 11-goblin siege. They killed over 100 dwarfs plus 20 war dogs without taking a scratch. Now they are friendly and have wiped out a number of ambushes, with only 1 friendly goblin getting a tiny scratch on her cheek. Heh.)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 07, 2010, 02:02:50 pm »

The best solution for dead from the old fort is destroying the bodies. They don't register on your Creatures list, so dwarves won't recognize them to bury them. Dwarves also won't recognize occupied tombs from before the reclaim as such, leading them to drop the bodies onto the ground when performing some tasks.

Diplomats are rarer for me too. I have not gotten a human nor elven one yet.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 1178