Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124011 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16350 on: November 28, 2011, 12:06:26 am »

I un-designated all mining, i forbode all items, i canceled all jobs at workshops in the area, and i bound all civvies to a warren that did not include that area

still, a miner, random guy and a child wandered into a FB, waving at my militairy that was standing at a chokepoint as they went past

why? all items there were out of bounds, the whole area was no-go, there was nothing there to do except take a magma bath or look at a toad-like FB (with poisonous blood). why did they go there
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16351 on: November 28, 2011, 01:34:41 am »

I un-designated all mining, i forbode all items, i canceled all jobs at workshops in the area, and i bound all civvies to a warren that did not include that area

still, a miner, random guy and a child wandered into a FB, waving at my militairy that was standing at a chokepoint as they went past

why? all items there were out of bounds, the whole area was no-go, there was nothing there to do except take a magma bath or look at a toad-like FB (with poisonous blood). why did they go there
Did you ,anually assign the civvies, or use the alert system?

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16352 on: November 28, 2011, 05:21:07 am »

I've noticed that the path-finding sometimes takes a while to kick in, so the dwarfs will carry on running along their old path even though you've forbidden the items / set a civilian alert. Only way to stop them is to forbid a door, then they'll run to the door, get a question mark and re-assess their actions.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16353 on: November 28, 2011, 06:51:08 am »

Can dwarves see gobbos on the other side of statues?

I think that statues don't block line-of-sight, but I haven't tested it.

They can see AND fire through them, as if they were fortifications.
I "made the test" with one of my first fortresses (31.03, I think), when gobbos blocked by a locked door and a statue started peppering my main corridor with arrows.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16354 on: November 28, 2011, 08:38:18 am »

Burrows don't mark the area outside the burrow as out of bounds.  Burrows just make any objects or buildings outside the burrow effectively forbidden.  Dwarves with nothing to do will still wander around outside the burrow.  If you want to keep them inside a burrow, you need to give them something to do inside the burrow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16355 on: November 28, 2011, 02:32:15 pm »

Are spears or menacing spikes more effective in upright spear/spike traps?

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16356 on: November 28, 2011, 06:55:50 pm »

I was originally trying to make a woodless fort (besides beds of course,) however it took me a really long time to find metal, so I had to resort to building some wood bins and barrels. Now that I have a magma forge (my first) and plenty of ore, is there an easy way to trash all the wooden containers I have? I assume that using the same method used to strip prisoners would work for bins, but can I do that for barrels without losing the contents?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16357 on: November 28, 2011, 07:25:54 pm »

Menacing spikes are more effective.

I was originally trying to make a woodless fort (besides beds of course,) however it took me a really long time to find metal, so I had to resort to building some wood bins and barrels. Now that I have a magma forge (my first) and plenty of ore, is there an easy way to trash all the wooden containers I have? I assume that using the same method used to strip prisoners would work for bins, but can I do that for barrels without losing the contents?

I think you'd have to set up a temporary dump (one that doesn't end in magma or another unreachable location), mass-dump the bins/barrels via d->b->d, and then undump only the containers via stocks. With the contents now separated and temporarily forbidden the containers should remain empty long enough for you to be able to dump just them.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16358 on: November 29, 2011, 09:54:22 am »

Menacing Spikes are better than spears of the same quality, but if you've got a bunch of metal spears and a few wooden menacing spikes, then use the spears for the time being. Large Serrated Disks are the most potent traps by far, however, so any traps using metal components should use those.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16359 on: November 29, 2011, 10:19:47 am »

*Army Entrance Exam*

My fort is bustling, it's comfortable, got multiple layers of defense and plenty of booze. I got a mighty standing army of, 5 iron clad dwarfs with iron weapons and 5 elit marks dwarfs and will soon upgrade from iron armor-> steel armor for the melee and copper bolts -> something better. They are all danger-room trained and hardened combat veterans.

With wave after wave of migrants arriving I feel like increasing my army but I cant just let any rabble in to my fine vanguard. But Armok seems to have provided an opportunity. In my otherwise pristine and safe caverns a mythical beast has appeared, a two headed iguana! It's the perfect trial for my soon to be soldiers but how should I construct the test?

Should I give the new recruits training in the danger room?
Should they wear full iron armor and gear?
Or perhaps no training, some cheap leather armor, a wooden shield and copper weapons?
Or just a copper weapon?

If there is any survivors they will get to join the army, otherwise I'll just send in more recruits. As my "expert" military advisory urists has pointed out to me Forgotten beasts have a preset kill limit. Knowing this weakness I will just send wave after wave of recruits at them, until they reached their limit and die!

The only question is how well trained and equiped these mealstroops will be?

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16360 on: November 29, 2011, 11:20:27 am »

If you can spare the gear, I'd say full gear but no training.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16361 on: November 29, 2011, 11:55:43 am »

if you send them out with crap weapons and no armor, not only will there be few survivors, but the survivors may be missing limbs or have other serious injuries

on the answer to the menacing spike/spear question: discs cant be put in upright spike traps
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16362 on: November 29, 2011, 12:21:09 pm »

"This land has no important leaders"

It seems like no matter how many worlds I make, this is inevitably the result when I look at the information for my dwarves civilization.  Is there any circumstance where this will be different?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16363 on: November 29, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »

"This land has no important leaders"

It seems like no matter how many worlds I make, this is inevitably the result when I look at the information for my dwarves civilization.  Is there any circumstance where this will be different?
Try genning with a shorter history.  Alternatively, check legends mode first for a thriving dwarven civilization, then make sure you choose that one on embark.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16364 on: November 29, 2011, 12:42:26 pm »

How do I make sure I have that particular civilization?  Just check the historical map and make sure I have a site within that civilization's area?
Pages: 1 ... 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 ... 1178