Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1090 1091 [1092] 1093 1094 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124014 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16365 on: November 29, 2011, 12:45:18 pm »

I need leather! But I used it all making armor for my aspiring army and the only butcher able animal I got are dogs. I got some corpses of some muskoxes, horses, goats etc.. that died in my pit trap can I use them?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16366 on: November 29, 2011, 12:49:08 pm »

How do I make sure I have that particular civilization?  Just check the historical map and make sure I have a site within that civilization's area?

If you press tab on the embark screen one of the menus is a civilization select list (not the one that says "Dwarves, Elves, Kobolds, etc.). Simply choose which civilizations you want (+ and - IIRC) and that is which one you will embark from. Note that sometimes being extreme distances away from your civilization can slow down caravans somewhat.

I need leather! But I used it all making armor for my aspiring army and the only butcher able animal I got are dogs. I got some corpses of some muskoxes, horses, goats etc.. that died in my pit trap can I use them?
Dogs work fine for leather in a tight pinch. You really only need 1 male and 1 backup male anyways. As for the other animals, try designating a refuse stockpile that collects corpses near a butchers shop. After your dwarves haul the corpses to the stockpile there is a chance that your butcher will butcher them. If he refuses to do so then you are out of luck due to the unusable corpses bug, however quite a bit of the time he will succeed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16367 on: November 29, 2011, 12:51:38 pm »

If they were tame, you will not be able to use them.  Tame animals which died from any cause other than being slaughtered at a butcher shop cannot be butchered.  If they were wild animals, you should be able to use them.  Make a refuse stockpile near a butcher's shop, make sure the dwarves can reach the corpses, and then turn on gathering of refuse from outside if the corpses are outside.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16368 on: November 29, 2011, 02:11:52 pm »

How do I make sure I have that particular civilization?
When you embark, you should be able to choose between various parent civs (or not, if only one was genned). The sites the civ controls are marked as blue omegas (ie. blue statues). If you don't see any blue, your civ is dead. If all the dwarf civs in the world are dead, get to the embark screen with each of them, see what stuff they'd offer in trade if they were still going, and then abort the game. Look up your chosen civ in Legends, see what year it falls, and then tweak the worldgen parameters so that worldgen ends the year before that.

It's less work to bump the number of civs and shorten the world's history though, unless you really wanted that site or those trade goods.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16369 on: November 29, 2011, 02:42:35 pm »

use tab a few times in the area select screen to see which civs are available to you for embark
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16370 on: November 29, 2011, 03:18:24 pm »

If a creature is [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] does that mean they won't get hurt by magma? Also, if it it on a platform (need to go down a ramp to the bottom z level and up another ramp to get out) while surrounded by magma, assuming it has a breath attack, will it still use it, since it can still path to the enemy?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16371 on: November 29, 2011, 03:40:26 pm »

i tried it myself, breath attacks dont go up or down z levels
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16372 on: November 29, 2011, 03:44:44 pm »

i tried it myself, breath attacks dont go up or down z levels

Not the breath attack themselves, but whether or not they can use them. Since they have a clear path to the enemy, but the enemy can't get to them.

Side view:

1        2
0^MM^00

^ = Ramp         Creatures 1 and 2 are on the same z level and the magma is on the bottom z level.
0 = Walls
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:50:01 pm by Prologue »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16373 on: November 29, 2011, 04:10:48 pm »

I'm fairly certain that tiles full of magma are flagged as impassible, even if the creature doing the pathing is magma-immune.  The game doesn't keep separate connectivity maps for magma-immune and non-magma-immune creatures.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16374 on: November 29, 2011, 05:45:56 pm »

If a creature is [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] does that mean they won't get hurt by magma?
[FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] means that the creature is completely immune to both dragon fire and [FIREBREATH]'s short ranged cone style attack. They might also be immune to the long range "fireball" type attack from [FIREBREATH], but I'm not positive on that one (I know [FIREIMMUNE] alone doesn't grant immunity to that).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16375 on: November 29, 2011, 06:15:58 pm »

A moody dwarf just created Gemurliruk,a forgotten beast bone battle axe! This all sounds coolio but can it be used in battle? Any way I can make like a podium or musem showcase of it and other cool items?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16376 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:51 pm »

Bone is an inferior weapon material, but if you're mostly facing easy stuff like goblins then it's probably good enough in the hands of an experienced axe user. You'd have to manually assign it to him.

As regards putting it, or other artifacts you wouldn't want to use, on display, here's a mod for it. Adding buildings won't work in your current game, however. You're going to have to generate a new world for it.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16377 on: November 29, 2011, 09:10:08 pm »

You can "put it on display" by building a weapon trap with it. The entrance to your dining hall is a good place for it. Your dwarves won't trigger it (unless they are stunned are unconscious), but they'll go past it a lot. Your dwarves will get happy thoughts from admiring it. Use a masterwork mechanism for the trap if you have one.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16378 on: November 30, 2011, 07:22:02 am »

what is better for my new lasher regiment: a scourge or a whip. They are both lasher weapons, but i'm not really good at reading weapon entries in the wiki yet

Scourge              cont area  penetr
size
300, Lash, Edge, 10,           50     ,   2.0x, Whip

Whip
100, Lash, Blunt, 1, (10), 5.0x, Whip

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16379 on: November 30, 2011, 09:09:00 am »

Whip - lower contact area AND better penetration.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1090 1091 [1092] 1093 1094 ... 1178