Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123981 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16380 on: November 30, 2011, 12:07:14 pm »

Whip - lower contact area AND better penetration.

Blunt, too- better for transferring that force through armor.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16381 on: November 30, 2011, 12:41:40 pm »

Is there an easy way to find the 1x1 garbage dump I created and forgot about? It may be buried under a single, unforbidden/undumped stone so looking through the stocks isn't necessarily going to reveal it.

[edit] One more.. My record keeper achieves perfection with the stockpiles and never seems to ever use the skill again. Within a couple of years the skill becomes rusty and eventually v. rusty. Bug?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16382 on: November 30, 2011, 01:25:31 pm »

You can see the zones that have been created through use of the (R)ooms list. One of the zones there should be the one that you want. Alternatively you could just command your dwarves to dump something and then follow them to find where they are dumping it to.

As for the record keeper, that is pretty much the way that it is intended to work right now. Think of it as an organizational and filing system. It takes tons of work for the dwarf to get the system in place in the beginning, but after that no further work is required to use the system, all you need to do is put the lists in the right place. That is currently how it works, so they never need to work at record keeping after highest precision is obtained. Personally I like to then apply the dwarf into a new field of work that proves useful, like mining, after he is done record keeping.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16383 on: November 30, 2011, 01:37:49 pm »

You can see the zones that have been created through use of the (R)ooms list. One of the zones there should be the one that you want. Alternatively you could just command your dwarves to dump something and then follow them to find where they are dumping it to.

Oh that works great... Zone->zoom. I've poked around in (R)ooms before but never saw anything worth looking at, probably before I had any zones created. Thanks for that.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16384 on: November 30, 2011, 03:31:00 pm »

Can dwarves see through windows? I'm contemplating dropping children into my dining hall from 50+ Z-Levels up, but I'm making the hall out of silver and I don't want to ruin my color scheme, while still letting my dwarves "get used to slaughter."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16385 on: November 30, 2011, 03:35:12 pm »

Dwarves can see through windows.  They can't see through walls made of glass blocks.  And I seem to recall that getting bad thoughts from witnessing slaughter is line-of-sight restricted, so you should be able to traumatize dwarves by letting them see other dwarves die through a window.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16386 on: November 30, 2011, 03:50:13 pm »

Can dwarves see through windows? I'm contemplating dropping children into my dining hall from 50+ Z-Levels up, but I'm making the hall out of silver and I don't want to ruin my color scheme, while still letting my dwarves "get used to slaughter."

They'll clean it up. Or you can use cleanmap in dfhack.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16387 on: November 30, 2011, 04:01:34 pm »

|===============
|X. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ||
|X. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |X|
|X. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ||
|===============

This is a rough approximation of what my shooting gallery looks like. Three targets on the left, a door on the right. The room is designated from the middle target. I have plenty of bone bolts, a few quivers... and a squadron of marksdorfs who aren't doing anything.

What am I missing here?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16388 on: November 30, 2011, 04:08:35 pm »

Did you set the shooting gallery to fire from east to west?

Did you assign it to the marksdwarf squad and set them to practice?

Do your marksdwarves have quivers that are already full of metal bolts?  They're not smart enough to drop those and pick up bone bolts, so if you've set them to only practice with bone they won't do anything.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16389 on: November 30, 2011, 05:31:20 pm »

Did you set the shooting gallery to fire from east to west?

Yes.

Did you assign it to the marksdwarf squad and set them to practice?

Yes.

Do your marksdwarves have quivers that are already full of metal bolts?  They're not smart enough to drop those and pick up bone bolts, so if you've set them to only practice with bone they won't do anything.

Not as far as I know. I haven't been making metal bolts, and I've been earmarking all the ones I trade for for melting so I can get the metal.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16390 on: November 30, 2011, 05:47:47 pm »

i always assign every target seperately as a practise area, never have a problem

do your markdwarfs have ANOTHER place to train, or a barracks, or something? good chance they're hanging out there instead of training at the archery butts
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16391 on: November 30, 2011, 06:21:31 pm »

What determines what pets can be requested via the liaison? I've had some civs that had, for example, things like Unicorns or Elephants but they're never selectable via the liaison and (as far as I know) they don't ever show up in the caravan either.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16392 on: November 30, 2011, 06:23:53 pm »

question a)

Would anyone be interesting in a succesion game wich goal is to build a flying ship with cave ins on? (attatch to the ceilng of the sky with supports)

question b)

How big must the difference in Magma pump height and magma exit point be for magma to jump 1 z level when exiting (ie fountaning), and does this stack so you could theoreticaly have a magma fountain a dozen z levels high or so?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16393 on: November 30, 2011, 07:06:48 pm »

i always assign every target seperately as a practise area, never have a problem

That.  I never use archery ranges myself, but if you're going to use them, they have to be set up one by one.  You can't just make a single archery range room with multiple targets in it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16394 on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:06 pm »

Oh that works great... Zone->zoom. I've poked around in (R)ooms before but never saw anything worth looking at, probably before I had any zones created. Thanks for that.

(R)ooms is also useful if you aren't sure if you have enough bedrooms. Scan through looking for bedrooms with no owners. if you don't see any, you probably need to make more.

I also use it for prioritizing where to send the engravers. I find the worst quality room at the bottom of the list and have the engravers get to work in that block of rooms.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 1178