Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126276 times)

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14895 on: September 05, 2011, 08:02:43 am »

in my experience poultry doesnt fight, so in general, i dont think space is an issue and it shouldnt be for hatching either.

dont get horses or donkeys though or your combat log will be permanently popping up and nagging you.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

vins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14896 on: September 05, 2011, 08:15:34 am »

Can you use a bridge as a giant floor hatch ?

I'd like to use one to block my entry in case of a siege.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14897 on: September 05, 2011, 08:16:04 am »

in my experience poultry doesnt fight, so in general, i dont think space is an issue and it shouldnt be for hatching either.

dont get horses or donkeys though or your combat log will be permanently popping up and nagging you.

I've seen horse's kick their own child's hooves off.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14898 on: September 05, 2011, 08:33:15 am »

I've seen horse's kick their own child's hooves off.

yeah thats why i just killed them all and made necklaces out of them

the water buffalos too, they starve no matter what, so i'm not buying those again either.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14899 on: September 05, 2011, 09:12:50 am »

Poultry definitely fight if you have too many in a 4x4 coop.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14900 on: September 05, 2011, 09:14:15 am »

Can you use a bridge as a giant floor hatch ?

I'd like to use one to block my entry in case of a siege.

Yes! Although goblin sieges often include trolls, which are building destroyers, and can smash a bridge (or hatch cover, for that matter). A locked hatch cover is indestructible from below, which is just as effective as a closed retractable bridge. However, I don't know if kobolds or goblins can pick locks from below, they probably can.

In summary, giant floor hatch / bridges work great as a defense from below, less so from above; but, you can build a system where invaders have to go up before they can go down into your fort.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14901 on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:57 am »

Im making a fortress but dont want to go grow to big , so i set the pop cap to 60, normally its 200.
im on 73 dwarves now and just got another wave of migrants.
what am i doing wrong?

I'm a bit late, but from the way I understand it, the pop cap gets checked before sending out the immigrants. So once you hit the cap, any groups that are already on their way will still arrive, and any current pregnancies continue on. it just won't send out more migrants (or allow for new pregnancies) after that. (Unless/until you drop below the cap again.)

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14902 on: September 05, 2011, 10:41:45 am »

In summary, giant floor hatch / bridges work great as a defense from below, less so from above; but, you can build a system where invaders have to go up before they can go down into your fort.

i've used a retractable bridge to block my fort in an older game and trolls never broke it, unless i dont remember well (which i do) - they could get on top of it, though that was rare as they usually either got cut to pieces by traps or caged before that, but trapavoid monsters also didnt break it and they were all on its top side.

i dont know if drawbridges can work that way though

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14903 on: September 05, 2011, 10:43:20 am »

Trolls don't destroy bridges.  In theory they're supposed to be able to, but they never actually do.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14904 on: September 05, 2011, 01:15:53 pm »

Where does golden salve appear in the trade screen? I have tons in my stocks screen.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14905 on: September 05, 2011, 01:49:54 pm »

Where does golden salve appear in the trade screen? I have tons in my stocks screen.

I believe it is supposed to show up under Extracts, but (like many things) it may not be there. You can manually 's'earch for "golden salve" to find it, though.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14906 on: September 05, 2011, 02:44:41 pm »

Does the material of a door/grate/etc affect it's resistance to building destroyers like Trolls? If I make a steel door is it stronger than most stone doors or say a copper door?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14907 on: September 05, 2011, 03:04:54 pm »

I had a baby poults get killed by others of it's kind. It got attacked enough it eventually bled out. But it seems far FAR less common than virtually all other pets. I get very tired of my larger grazers constantly fighting even when they have huge areas to graze in and plenty of food. So much I wish I could mod out pet fighting because it's get extremely annoying.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14908 on: September 05, 2011, 04:57:42 pm »

I had a baby poults get killed by others of it's kind. It got attacked enough it eventually bled out. But it seems far FAR less common than virtually all other pets. I get very tired of my larger grazers constantly fighting even when they have huge areas to graze in and plenty of food. So much I wish I could mod out pet fighting because it's get extremely annoying.

Infighting is related to creature size- larger animals fight more readily than smaller creatures who need less space.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14909 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »

I'm a bit late, but from the way I understand it, the pop cap gets checked before sending out the immigrants. So once you hit the cap, any groups that are already on their way will still arrive, and any current pregnancies continue on. it just won't send out more migrants (or allow for new pregnancies) after that. (Unless/until you drop below the cap again.)

Population cap relates to the immigrants only, not to babies.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 1178