Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the new stone layer symbols?

Yay!
- 37 (75.5%)
Nay!
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.3.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Old version)  (Read 198897 times)

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.2 for DF v0.31.03 (Tileset Update)
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2010, 04:34:17 am »

Yes, the solid background for unit graphic tiles makes the special conditions hard to see, like sphr said. And the earlier slightly dithered background for unit graphic tiles doesn't look so good in a fight, with the special condition colors. Maybe it would be good to leave the default background graphics for units, or making this as an option?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 04:38:05 am by Prastary »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2010, 04:55:05 am »

Yes, the solid background for unit graphic tiles makes the special conditions hard to see, like sphr said. And the earlier slightly dithered background for unit graphic tiles doesn't look so good in a fight, with the special condition colors. Maybe it would be good to leave the default background graphics for units, or making this as an option?
It is an option: Unit Pack with clean transparent backgrounds
I'm considering making it the default option again.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2010, 06:44:36 am »

In case that it may be useful, posting some of my prev experience here.

*snipped*
I found the post helpful and insightful.

I hate BMPs. I too walked the road you have described, and at the end of that road I stopped playing DF for about a year.
I started a PNG tileset several weeks before the release of DF v0.31, and had no plan to release that tileset, let alone a BMP version of my tileset.
I did not except the release on the 1st of April. I started looking for BMP tileset to play DF v0.31 with, and found a void to fill. I then took upon myself to provide a temporary BMP tileset to myself and others until the d# merge occurs. I was expecting a merge withing days, two weeks at most (heh!)
I simply do not take any long term decision for my tileset with BMP limitations in consideration, because I am longing for the day that I will be able to pour magma on that BMP version of my tileset.
I make improvement to the PNG tileset, create an approximate reproduction of those improvements in the BMP version, and make BMP hacks when needs be.
And that is why I'm following that road to 'nowhere' with the BMP tileset; I'm using the BMP as a testing ground to get feedback for the PNG version. (I actually never expected the bmp version to get more than 10-20 downloads. :P )

As for the RAW issue, I've already made a firm decision: I will not make a tileset that does not require raw changes.
Reasons:
There's already many tileset that require no raw changes, and there's very little I could improve on those tilesets without changing the raws.
There would be very little in common between the 'clean' and 'dirty' versions of the tileset, so it would be like doing two separate tilesets at the same time.

But, I can (and do) provide the unit graphics package as an independent download, as those do not change the default raws and they can be used with any other tileset.
Anyone can download a clean tileset and the unit package if they want.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:47:19 am by Phoebus »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2010, 07:22:53 am »

Well, I for one want to thank you for the work you've put in on this. It has certainly added to my enjoyment of the game and made jumping into the new version a lot easier. I can play with the base graphics but when given a choice, I would choose a decent graphics pack any day of the week. Keep up the good work.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

wolflance

• Bay Watcher
  • Not knowing is half the Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2010, 08:01:10 am »

Can't agree more with Moontayle.

Question: Coffins look like  numerical zero (0) while bins look like X. Is this intentional?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2010, 12:22:28 pm »

Can't agree more with Moontayle.

Question: Coffins look like  numerical zero (0) while bins look like X. Is this intentional?

That's the way the game represents them, and the reason why some tilesets decorate 0 and X a bit so that they look like those things (X is also the up-down staircase, which complicates things a bit from the graphic standpoint). Same thing happens with the O, used for wall dead-ends. My version of Phoebus' tileset includes a slightly embellished O since the default variant has but a plain one that doesn't quite fit with other wall sections.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:24:12 pm by Greenbane »

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2010, 08:57:19 am »

Is there a way to speed up this graphic set? I'm running in windowed mode at about 30FPS with a max of 100FPS. Is there a way to make the screen size smaller and perhaps make it run at about 80FPS?
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2010, 09:13:50 am »

Is there a way to speed up this graphic set? I'm running in windowed mode at about 30FPS with a max of 100FPS. Is there a way to make the screen size smaller and perhaps make it run at about 80FPS?
In INIT.TXT change the [PARTIAL_PRINT:NO:2] to [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2], try different numbers till the flickering stops. That should speed up the rendering.

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2010, 09:20:17 am »

Thank you!
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2010, 12:44:31 pm »

Yeah, this set is pretty sweet. I switched back to the dithered and, even though it's not as pretty as the solid graphics, it is pretty good looking.

My girlfriend finally can stop calling it "That dots game" because things don't look like dots anymore. ;) I am one happy lady cuz she'd always complain when I'd play DF. :(
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 27, 2010, 06:56:05 am »

Hi, great graphics set.

1 issue, Just loaded it up and all doors are black with a white outline. Anyone got this problem?
Or better a fix? :D

UPDATE: Its only granite doors...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:05:53 am by Ubern00b »
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 27, 2010, 06:09:25 pm »

Hi, great graphics set.

1 issue, Just loaded it up and all doors are black with a white outline. Anyone got this problem?
Or better a fix? :D

UPDATE: Its only granite doors...

It's always been granite.

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2010, 02:31:44 am »

Aw, so no fix?
I just stopped granite being economic for the moment.
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2010, 11:21:10 am »

Is there anyway I can get this Phoebus tileset to work with 40d?

I have no clue how to mod DF to use tilesets.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 28, 2010, 11:42:25 am »

I'm sure you're glad about the 31/40d# merge going on, eh Phoebus? ;)
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20