Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the new stone layer symbols?

Yay!
- 37 (75.5%)
Nay!
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.3.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Old version)  (Read 198915 times)

Hopesend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Added the Credits section)
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2010, 03:42:32 pm »

hey, I'm really a big fan of the graphics set, but something seemed to have gone a bit wrong when i updated to the latest version.

My stone and soil layers don't seem to have the correct thing associated with them, they're showing up as ?'s, rather than anything particularly useful. Ores and Gems seem to be correct, just not the stone and soil. I've been trying different things with the graphics included in data/art, but I can't seem to get everything to change. I'm pretty well ignorant of things relating to graphics, so I could just be doing things incorrectly.

I've been using this graphics set and the genesis mod, and I've been updating the savegame files after everything new I try. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Example of what I'm seeing. The Purple stone is marble
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 20, 2010, 03:44:37 pm »

Any chance of a 24x24 or 20x20 tileset?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 20, 2010, 03:47:56 pm »

I am still having issues with the walls not being distinguishable from the ground....even in 1.7.1 with a new game...and when I change the tileset and update the raws it doesn't help =/

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2010, 04:08:36 pm »

Not updating the raw folder in each save folder commonly leads to the ? stones.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.2 for DF v0.31.03 (Tileset Update)
« Reply #229 on: April 20, 2010, 04:44:12 pm »

*Updated* v1.7.2 (Tilesets only)
Added a new tileset with Bisasam's font. (the lowercase letters have been edited to be narrower)
Fixed Guybrush's 'O' engraving transparency color. (Thanks LucasUP)
Reduced the intensity of the liquid/sand tile.
Brightened the background texture of underground mushroom tiles a bit.
I 'improved' the solid layer tiles a little bit. They should be easier to tell apart from ground tiles now.

This update is only available as a separate tileset-only download:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:57:57 pm by Phoebus »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 20, 2010, 05:11:14 pm »

To everyone that are getting the ? sand tiles.
Run the df_savegame_updater.bat file (that file NEEDS to be in the same directory as dwarfort.exe) and press 'U' to update your savegames, then try again to see it fixes the problem.
If that does not fix the problem, download the pre-installed package and unpack it in an other directory than your old DF install, copy your savegames to the new DF install, then run the df_savegame_updater.bat from the new DF install, then run the dwarfort.exe from that new install.

I'm not sure I'm liking the mushrooms, either. My init probably has something to do with it.
It's not your init.
It looks that way for 3 reasons: 1. Sand ground tiles are too bright. (fixed) 2. The mushrooms' background texture was too dark. (also fixed) 3. I've changed the color of Tower Cap sprouts from white to grey, and Fungiwood sprouts from yellow to brown so that they contrast less with the dark red muddy undergrounds.

I've been using this graphics set and the genesis mod, and I've been updating the savegame files after everything new I try. Any help would be very much appreciated!
That's most likely a conflict between my graphic set and the genesis mod.
Currently Dwarf Fortress stores the graphics and physics of most object in the same file. To be able to use custom tiles for the walls I need to edit those files. To edit the physical properties of stones the genesis mod needs to edit the same files. When you install the genesis mod over my graphic pack, it overwrites my graphic changes and you end up seeing the wrong tiles.
I'm investigating a solution.

Any chance of a 24x24 or 20x20 tileset?
Yes. But it's very unlikely before PNG support.

I am still having issues with the walls not being distinguishable from the ground....even in 1.7.1 with a new game...and when I change the tileset and update the raws it doesn't help =/
You are not using my mineral wall raws. Would you be using other mods in your games?
I would advise to download the pre-installed package and unpack it in an other directory than your old DF install, copy your savegames to the new DF install, then run the df_savegame_updater.bat from the new DF install, then run the dwarfort.exe from that new install.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:14:33 pm by Phoebus »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2010, 06:23:30 pm »

thats the thing I dont get...I grab the full package with the game and start a brand new fort each version but to no avail....

My usual course of action is to download, tweak ini (nothing graphic related just pop limit and the such), and start a NEW fort....I am also not seeing the tiles with fe and the lil flames etc....I even reset the ini to default and tried updating the raws and etc....I don't get it. It is a tileset issue as far as I can see and I dont understand even what the issue is because I run on all defaults and I know a few versions back I was just fine....

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2010, 06:36:17 pm »

sry for the double post but here is an image that shows what I mean....this room is all dug out...in the upper left corner you can see the....dare I say it....swastika shaped room format (totally didn't realize it makes a swastika til I smoothed the walls lol)

this is what the room looks like all smoothed to give you an idea of how hard it is to see the walls and floors...can also see what the place looks like while digging and stuff....doesn't look right to me unless im wrong

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:41:32 pm by dennislp3 »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2010, 07:21:45 pm »

thats the thing I dont get...I grab the full package with the game and start a brand new fort each version but to no avail....
When you start a new fort, do you generate a new world too, or do you copy a pre-generated world?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2010, 08:58:07 pm »

hey, I'm really a big fan of the graphics set, but something seemed to have gone a bit wrong when i updated to the latest version.

My stone and soil layers don't seem to have the correct thing associated with them, they're showing up as ?'s, rather than anything particularly useful. Ores and Gems seem to be correct, just not the stone and soil. I've been trying different things with the graphics included in data/art, but I can't seem to get everything to change. I'm pretty well ignorant of things relating to graphics, so I could just be doing things incorrectly.

Example of what I'm seeing. The Purple stone is marble
The Genesis mod is a graphical mod itself, it uses my tileset but with significant changes in the raws.
I don't really want to change Deon's mod, but I can still make a fix that will allow the Genesis mod to use my latest tileset without drawing ?.

This is a patch that will allow you to use v1.7+ tilesets with the Genesis mod v1.3:

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2010, 10:09:11 pm »

When you start a new fort, do you generate a new world too, or do you copy a pre-generated world?

Generate a new world....with each new version I literally start a new world and fort....right now im not starting any major forts

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2010, 10:48:59 pm »

Really awesome set! I love it! Wanted to ask about this before putting it on the bug tracker as it may be DF and not the graphics set...

The stuff I circled in blue is black blobs of rock that are designated for mining. As you can see, as dwarves mine it it flashes and looks like normal. If it's mined even a little bit, it looks normal (as evidenced by the yellow block next to the two larger black block groupings) and all that.

EDIT: Small SNAFU... the two upper left circles? Yeah, just dark red. Everything else is black, though! Look and see! :P
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 20, 2010, 10:58:56 pm »

Really awesome set! I love it! Wanted to ask about this before putting it on the bug tracker as it may be DF and not the graphics set...

The stuff I circled in blue is black blobs of rock that are designated for mining. As you can see, as dwarves mine it it flashes and looks like normal. If it's mined even a little bit, it looks normal (as evidenced by the yellow block next to the two larger black block groupings) and all that.

EDIT: Small SNAFU... the two upper left circles? Yeah, just dark red. Everything else is black, though! Look and see! :P
I'm aware of that problem. This is the reason why I've put back the dithered style as the default style.
The reason it does that is the lack of background color in the solid style. When you designate something for mining, the game inverts the graphic tile by displaying the foreground color as black and the background color as brown. These solid tiles are all foreground color, hence they show up as a pitch black square when designated.
I could add some small background markers on the tiles for the time being to try to reduce the confusion when mining them. (But I can't think of anything that wouldn't look worst than the dithered style, beside maybe just making the back of those tile fully transparent.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:08:24 pm by Phoebus »

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2010, 11:51:24 pm »

Huh. Well at least it's not broken totally! Switching back to dithered did fix it... Pity, though, because I did like how the other style looked a LOT better... Well, except for minor problems in colour where walls would look like floors, etc, etc... If any fixes would make it look worse than dithered, then why bother, I say... I mean, you don't want it to look worse than something that you already have. That'd just be crazy!
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2010, 01:54:10 am »

In case that it may be useful, posting some of my prev experience here.

One thing I noticed when I looked at how pheobus evolved his tileset is that his evolution path actually coincide with mine at many stages.  So I thought I'll post some of my decisions and rationale to see if it can help, as a reference hopefully helpful as an example or counter-example.

Regarding ground tile:
I tried the "solid" ground before.  In fact, it was one of my earliest change.  My chief reason is that I want to be able to tell solid ground from a channeled tile easily (I think this could be phoebus's reason as well).  But due to the fact that most other tiles have dark background, it will appear ugly and disruptive.  I briefly tried to "add background" to other tiles approach, but I did not like the way it turns out.  also, background region is often used for other special indicators e.g. brown when prone, red when bloody etc.  And adding a background to other tiles is also destructive in nature (hard to get tile when clean background back since we are not using a multi-layer file format).  For this reason, I tried to fall back to dithering and reducing the intensity of "ground" tiles (again, same as phoebus, I was actually quite amazed and amused when I find our thinking and evolution coincides).  Again, it only reduces "tear" between ground and other creature/objects.

It is then I decided that ground will simply have to have a "natural" color of black since there are countless other cases that cannot be resolved satisfactory given the limitations of the gfx part then (no transparency back then). So instead of making the other tile matching ground tile (by dithering other tile's background") I decided to make ground tile match the color black, at least around the edge.  In the end, I chose a light noise pattern, which will be somewhat recognizable as ground, but will play nice with other tiles in black background.  It DOES have the original problem of hard to recognize ground from channel, but not as bad as before (recognizable with a little attention) and have a more even feel for both above and underground ground.  Also plays nicer when the game decides to use an inverse tile (reversing the opacity)

This is a screenshot made for different purpose posted a while back, but I think it can serve adequately as an example:

Regarding tile used by text:
Initially, my main purpose in modding both 437 tileset and gfx tilesets is to make play a little more informative and intuitive (for creatures, gfx tileset actually shows MORE information, e.g. able to tell woodcutter from carpenter), but at some point, I fell into the trap of wanting to "make everything gfx", where i then proceed to try to gfx-size all the tiles in 437.  The immediate result is that text becomes hard to read.  so much so at at some point, I realised that, the game is actually HARDER to play.  I then proceed to undo many of my changes and the immediate aim is to preserve all text (and punctuation).  I was only able to do it partially.  the basic alphanumeric is ok, but the accented char are used in names etc.  I had to do a "accent removal" mod to the language files to get rid of them, and it becomes a lot better.  Personally, I am a proponent for "preserve text".  Well, there ARE a few compromises I have to make, like the "O" which was rigged to join up properly with walls, and "0" to have an outline that suggests that it is a coffin etc.  There are a few funny cases in punctuations too.. e.g. =, <, > have been partially gfx-sized but retains their basic symbol hopefully recognizable.  ";, which are used for ground patterns gets a VERY LIGHT noise noise dither that is filterable by brain (at least mine) when used in text.  the channel designation tile, or underscore, gets a black background shovel symbol which only shows up when used in reversed (as in case of channel designation) so will appear as underscore normally in black background text. (luckily, I haven;t really seen it used in text in reversed).  well, the list is incomplete but i think it shows the ideas.  The thing is: I realised that full-gfx just isn't possible until maybe the presentation arc get started.  So I compromised with what I'll call a "half-gfx" set which serves to help/improve gameplay.

Regarding changes to raws:
when a tile modder deals with limitations of 437 enough, he/she will turn to this at least once in their modding life-span (if you haven't hit this dilemma, you prob have not done enough tile modding).  It may come to certain point that the only way to remove certain ambiguity in the way the game uses the 437 tilepage or to be able to introduce more recognizable tiles to certain creatures/plants is to mod the raws to use a different tile.  But I personally find this firstly to be tiresome especially during version upgrades, and some people dislike tampered raws, of which there are the pure gamers who just want to play the original game (this group can be pacified with a pre-packaged, pre-modded installer/game) and the partial modders (people who make their own small changes to raws, who finds it troublesome to try to merge changes from different sources).  I can't speak for the masses (maybe Pheobus should setup a poll for his set to see how many people prefers untampered raws), but I personally don't like tampered raws (Not that I don't play with changed raws: I am maintaining my own small changes, which included removed accents from language files, and gender-specific names for domestic animals).  My advice to pheobus would be to perhaps provide an "untampered raw" version of the 437 tileset for people who like it so?

long post, hope i have not worn out reader's patience.  Why I write this, is just that I hope that it helps.  If it doesn't, then please ignore it.

regards.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20