Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the new stone layer symbols?

Yay!
- 37 (75.5%)
Nay!
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.3.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Old version)  (Read 198988 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That elf child is far too happy. It's pissing me off and needs to die.

Congratulations. I'd say these elves are a success.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.6 for DF v0.31.02 (Updated to new version)
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2010, 10:19:34 pm »

*Updated* v1.6
Updated to the new DF v0.31.02
Numbers now have the standard background. Changed the init so water displays dept by default.
Changed the graphics of a few plants
Changed the 'graphics' of a few vermins

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.6 for DF v0.31.02 (Upgraded to DF release)
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2010, 10:27:45 pm »

Did you check all the raw changes to make sure the ones you put in the first version are all corrected in the second version?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2010, 10:35:52 pm »

I'd keep the graphics mod graphics-only. It's easier to keep compatibility with future versions that way.

I'd make a different mod for the raw tweaks and fixes. Also, the init should only be changed to accomodate to the new graphics, without modifying miscellaneous detals like water depth and window size (beyond the 1280x400 requirement), which are generally a matter of personal preference.

I hope you don't mind the criticism.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2010, 10:40:06 pm »

Did you check all the raw changes to make sure the ones you put in the first version are all corrected in the second version?
My old bugfixes are not included. I just manually inserted all of my graphic's raw modifications to the new v0.31.02 raws.

The version with bugfixes have BF at the end. (There's only one)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:43:27 pm by Phoebus »

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:43 pm »

Now I am debating if it would be better to stick with the previous version with your bug fixes or move to the new version without them... decisions decisions...

To weight the scales I actually really liked your bug fix version. It was the most compete 31.01 package out there and fixed a lot of the problems I had with that version.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2010, 11:02:10 pm »

Got the new version working with my fort; seems to be working fine after cleaning out the raws.

I'm new to this graphic pack, and i have to say I do like it except for the choice of font. The monospace in game makes gives this font a kearning look (chars spaced out from each other). It is displeasing to my eye. 

Barquentine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2010, 11:32:38 pm »

Is it possible to get a copy of this graphics set without the shitfucked background fuzzing? The darkening screws up the contrast for me and unfortunately makes the set unplayable, which is a pity since I otherwise prefer the Sphr dwarf set by far.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2010, 07:32:15 am »

Now I am debating if it would be better to stick with the previous version with your bug fixes or move to the new version without them... decisions decisions...

To weight the scales I actually really liked your bug fix version. It was the most compete 31.01 package out there and fixed a lot of the problems I had with that version.
Most of the bugs were fixed by Toady himself in the new 31.02 version of DF. I preferred not to clash with his bugfixes for the moment, the only important bugfix not included in DF v0.31.02 would be the stabbing penetration depth 'bug'.

Got the new version working with my fort; seems to be working fine after cleaning out the raws.

I'm new to this graphic pack, and i have to say I do like it except for the choice of font. The monospace in game makes gives this font a kearning look (chars spaced out from each other). It is displeasing to my eye. 
I agree, but I can't do anything about that. The game only supports 'monospace', and only uses one tileset for almost everything. Either we go for square tiles which are better for world rendering, or we go for rectangular tiles which are better for the font.
This tileset is optimized for world rendering, hence square tiles.

Is it possible to get a copy of this graphics set without the shitfucked background fuzzing? The darkening screws up the contrast for me and unfortunately makes the set unplayable, which is a pity since I otherwise prefer the Sphr dwarf set by far.
Which one do you mean? The background behind the trees, the one behind creatures, or both?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2010, 10:16:52 am »

Here's a personal modification of the tileset, according to my tastes.

Changes:
- Font
- Logs
- Chest
- Bed
- Bars
- Various symbols to match the font (like !, ? and &)
- Shovel thingy next to the trap icon

If anyone wants to use it, remember to convert it to .BMP first. I wonder if I should upload it to the wiki.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2010, 12:06:30 pm »

Here's a personal modification of the tileset, according to my tastes.

Changes:
- Font
- Logs
- Chest
- Bed
- Bars
- Various symbols to match the font (like !, ? and &)
- Shovel thingy next to the trap icon

If anyone wants to use it, remember to convert it to .BMP first. I wonder if I should upload it to the wiki.
Several of the tiles (/ ? ; -) have an incorrect transparency color, the background shows as purple.
When the shovel/underscore tile is used by the game as a shovel tile, only the background color is used. Adding shovel details to the foreground details is completely useless. Alpha transparency will enable details on inversed tiles.
Bars are used for more things than just metal bars. Hence the non-graphic look in my tileset.
My PNG version uses the same logs.
Chests & Beds. Those are nice.
I still prefer sharper fonts.

Edit: I'm going to use that shovel design, if not in the bmps, in the pngs. The lack of sidebars looks better.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:53:50 pm by Phoebus »

Barquentine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2010, 12:21:30 pm »

Which one do you mean? The background behind the trees, the one behind creatures, or both?
Both, I suppose, but mainly the creatures. I'd want to custom my tileset anyway, although I might nick the various ore and gem icons out of yours if those didn't have a muddled background.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2010, 01:22:58 pm »

Both, I suppose, but mainly the creatures. I'd want to custom my tileset anyway, although I might nick the various ore and gem icons out of yours if those didn't have a muddled background.
That's dithering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd%E2%80%93Steinberg_dithering
I use it for two reasons.
One, lack of alpha transparency supports means every transparent pixel is 100% transparent, and if I want to spread the background color around I need to dither. Used on mineral tiles, water tiles, river/road tiles and units.
The second, used for the ground tiles, smoothed floors, walls and behind trees & plants, is used to break the flat uniformity of the ground. That one works pretty well.

For the floors I alternate every other tile between 25% luminosity and 12.5% luminosity.
For units, water tiles and river/road tiles, it's between 30% and 0%(transparent)
For minerals, it's between ~100% and 0%. (ouch)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2010, 02:52:43 pm »

Several of the tiles (/ ? ; -) have an incorrect transparency color, the background shows as purple.

Huh, you're right. Weird, since I had taken those characters directly from the Guybrush tileset.

Anyway, it's fixed now.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2010, 03:27:10 pm »

I agree, but I can't do anything about that. The game only supports 'monospace', and only uses one tileset for almost everything. Either we go for square tiles which are better for world rendering, or we go for rectangular tiles which are better for the font.
This tileset is optimized for world rendering, hence square tiles.

I totally understand. I appreciate your work to put this together. Very nice gfx pack.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20