Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the new stone layer symbols?

Yay!
- 37 (75.5%)
Nay!
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.3.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Old version)  (Read 198969 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.5.2BF for DF 2010 (Now with DF bug fixes)
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2010, 03:34:24 pm »

Basically, my problem is that I cant find a tileset with good text... Not too bothered if it is slightly rectangular, but my screen is 1280x1024 and reading stuff kills my eyes... But I want a proper tile/graphics set, with walls and stuff, and also creatures. Cheers :P
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2010, 03:36:17 pm »

Due to my flat screen not being able to reach certain resolutions..
Is there any chance that you can provide a 12x12 instead of 16x16 tileset?

Cause the tiles are compressed really bad on my screen :(

Pretty please!

Markavian did a 12x12 tileset + dwarves set scaled from mine.  You may get some resources you need by searching for his section in wiki.

Also, I don't think any full/major gfx set providers (phoebus, mayday included though this is just my feel and not authoritative in representing them) is inclined to provide anything smaller than 16x16.  (If there is change in size, it will only go up, not down).  The reason is that 16x16 is ALREADY very limiting and is the minimum that the vast majority will use.  It is usually not a simple case of using gfx program to shrink coz the tiles will be ruined (might be better with transparent png, but bmp was horrible).  Basically, I think you don't want just a 12x12 set (which is easy, just shrink) but a USABLE 12x12 set (which is hard).

My suggestion is: as people who may be dissatisfied with what is currently norm or available, we take things into our own hands and become.... modders. iow, maybe YOU can be the provider of 12x12 set.  A lot of people with similar problems as yourself will be thankful :)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2010, 03:41:09 pm »

From what I understand of tilesets, 80 is the minimum size across, which means that 1280/80=16 is the larges size my monitor can support?
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2010, 03:50:48 pm »

From what I understand of tilesets, 80 is the minimum size across, which means that 1280/80=16 is the larges size my monitor can support?

unless you use wide monitors, or dual/quad monitors :)  I tried doing a dual-"full screen" once... It was fantastic :) but later, I just use one monitor and leave the other for manager like dwarf foreman which I consider to be a part of dwarf fortress's "extended ui" (can't play df without it)

anyway, keeping the width to 80 is ok, since you can get more from the height (e.g. 1280x960 = 80x50 tiles).  You can already get double the number of visible tiles which I feel is more than adequate to play the game at 16x16.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2010, 04:08:58 pm »

Then can I get highlighted text like in DFG22? If I could the problem would be solved.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.5.3 for DF 2010 (Now better ground & water tiles)
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2010, 05:44:31 pm »

*Updated* v1.5.3
Tileset update:
Improved ground tiles and smoothed floors. (The new ground tile patterns come from DrD_AVEL Gold Plated tileset.)
Added background texture to water/sand tiles and river/road tiles.

New Tileset (Left) Versus Old Tileset (Right)

The new tileset is currently available as separate download only: (already a BMP, no need to convert)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:50:37 pm by Phoebus »

rewinged

• Bay Watcher
  • Wallawallawoosh? Bingbangboosh!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Link

It makes a heck of a difference! Thank you for the work Phoebus, I'm eagerly awaiting the 40d# merge, PNG support will only make things better.
Each note sounds so pure, it just cuts into her.
And then the melody comes pouring out her eyes.  - Bright Eyes

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How am I supposed to use that 16x16 tileset?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice!

I just replace the file in data/art/ with the new one... right?

Oh, and btw, the buzzards don't show or have any graphics.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How am I supposed to use that 16x16 tileset?
The new one? As Kipi said, copy it in your /DF_31_01/data/art/ directory, overwriting the old one.
Then restart the game.

Nice!
Thanks! :)

Oh, and btw, the buzzards don't show or have any graphics.
I don't have a graphic tile for the buzzards. And from the raws they seem to use a light grey on light grey 'b' character.
Could you provide a screenshot, of the exact problem?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:59:32 am by Phoebus »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, by not showing graphics I meant that I only got the ascii version of it. Sorry for the confuse.
And that explains it, I just thought that maybe something is broken because so far buzzards are the only ones with no picture in your tileset that I have noticed.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, by not showing graphics I meant that I only got the ascii version of it. Sorry for the confuse.
And that explains it, I just thought that maybe something is broken because so far buzzards are the only ones with no picture in your tileset that I have noticed.
Those things are better looking than I excepted from the name.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do I copy this? It opens up in Irfran view, but I can't figure out how to copy it...
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

just realised that I have never released my mini tile page for elves due to the fact that I never got around to tiling the diplomat and druid.

So I sort of patch it up quickly.  Just leaving a copy here in case you guys prefer elves in similar style as my tile pages for dwarves + other races.

the arrangement is mostly same as deep qantas (I actually used deep qantas until I got around to replacing the tiles with my own), with the exception of the merchant at position 4:1

For reference, this is from my meta-info text file (note that I am using bmp atm)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note: the "whitish" tile in location 4:2 was meant for use with ADD_COLOR, namely if I want to define colored tiles for professions which are not specialized (e.g. civilian professions).  I am not currently using it and it is not in the text file I placed above.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:34:40 pm by sphr »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do I copy this? It opens up in Irfran view, but I can't figure out how to copy it...
You need to save the BMP on you disk, then use a file utility like explorer to move the BMP from where your browser saved it to the correct directory in your Dwarf Fortress installation: /data/art/
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20