Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 122055 times)

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #300 on: April 03, 2010, 05:55:19 am »

One thing I want to add since I can't find a thread for the new site.
I find the original template of bay12games.com better, this one somehow looks extremely... childish and eye-hurting improfessional (Especially the gray colors, please keep it contrasted, like the old one was). The Dwarf fortress main page has greatly improved in my opinion. I love the way the new developments are now on the front page :D

On another note: How does one get into the bug tracker? I wish to see the bugs for this version ^^ Or is it absolutely necessairy for me to get digging in the bug forums?

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 03, 2010, 06:08:54 am »

Ok, seriously.

First : How the hell do I stop my god damned retard-miners from doing their little INDIVIDUAL COMBAT DRILL? I drafted the morons to save myself from a dark gnome invasion, but after that decided to set up a different combat team. The thing is, as soon as I set up a barracks and the second team, and put them on train, everyone with some combat experience (that is, all my miners) rushed like extremely bellicose lemmings towards the barracks and have not moved since. I dismissed all teams, removed the barracks itself, but those sure are some straight-minded dwarves and don't seem to have any care in the world. And I do need my miners somewhat. Help?

EDIT : Huh, that's ... odd. I had to deconstruct the beds that used to belong to the Barracks. The moment I did so, the lemmings rushed off. So if anyone was having the same problem, this seems to have fixed it. Maybe.
RE:EDIT : Oh sweet, they refuse to do anything now! Won't dig, won't do masonry work, only thing I've witness them do is NOT dig. I guess the moral is "Don't make your miners into soldiers, kids, or your fortress is in for devastation FUN!"

Second : Warning, crappy screenshots follow : MY EYES

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, that's 11 different kinds of stone in my communal bedrooms and yes, it's much brighter in person. This is not a question, but I have to engrave them at some point. Armok save me.

Third : I added the Partial Print suggestion to the wiki's page about the tileset version, but I didn't really do a good job at it, so if anyone wants to either fix it up, or move it somewhere more relevant, be my guest.

Fourth : There's not really a fourth, however. I just got raided by a pack of rabid Dark Gnomes who scared my gem cutters senseless, drank all my wine and booze and mangled a single dog before getting mauled by the miners. This is Dwarf Fortress, all right.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:26:36 am by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 03, 2010, 06:14:24 am »

Maybe use numpad? Always worked for me...

Only works when you have a numpad, buddy.

He didn't mentioned he have a laptop >.>

Ninja'd: Oh wait, now he did.

Doesn't matter whether or not he has a laptop, but the point is that people on laptops can't do it. I'm playing on a laptop and I haven't yet figured out where to remap those keys. Must be there, but I still haven't found it. So, yeah, I'm not playing it until the merger.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 03, 2010, 06:19:19 am »

i played on a laptop the day it came out and had the same problem, i found out that only using the [function] + [.] and [function] + [/] keys for - and + worked
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 03, 2010, 06:56:48 am »

OK, who uploaded the example screenshot labeled "Here I am entering a cave..."?  lol

And what am I going to do now the dev log has ground to a halt; sad face; we need an RSS feed to a bug log.  (PS the RSS feed on the new dev log still points to the old one).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:59:21 am by Lac »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 03, 2010, 06:57:13 am »

Maybe use numpad? Always worked for me...

Only works when you have a numpad, buddy.

He didn't mentioned he have a laptop >.>

Ninja'd: Oh wait, now he did.

Doesn't matter whether or not he has a laptop, but the point is that people on laptops can't do it. I'm playing on a laptop and I haven't yet figured out where to remap those keys. Must be there, but I still haven't found it. So, yeah, I'm not playing it until the merger.

People on laptops can't do what?  Remap keys?  It's in the Esc menu.  Or you can just go into interface.txt and change the SECONDSCROLL stuff to this:

Code: [Select]
[SECONDSCROLL_UP:KEYDB]
[SECONDSCROLL_DOWN:KEYDD]
[SECONDSCROLL_PAGEUP:MINUS]
[SECONDSCROLL_PAGEDOWN:PLUS]

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 03, 2010, 07:24:36 am »

I've just signed up on that Mantis bug tracker thing.  I like the error message I got when I first tried:
"The "Real Name" chosen matches another user's login name. Please choose another."

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 03, 2010, 08:57:46 am »

Made an attempt to play the new version, but in comparrison to the 40d version it is way to slow.

1. World generation goes at 1fps. (40d @ 10-15 fps)
2. Finding a good location with the location finder goes at 0-1 fps @ 750-800k memory and 50% processor usage !!. (40d @ 5-10 fps)
3. The game finally starts at a "steady" 60-80 fps @ 340k memory and 50% memory usage. (40d @ 200-300 fps, 100-150k memory usage and only reaches 300+k memory after many hours of play and a large 50+ dwarf count)

I am sorry, but I think that this is way to slow and demanding for me right now, perhaps when multi-cores are supported, but as of yet I will stay with the old version.

Quite a shame since I read a lot of cool things about the new version.  :(

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 03, 2010, 09:05:45 am »

@Rvlion:

Try to change settings in init.txt. Especially those about graphics. Lower G_FPS and... well, there is a guide on wiki somewhere how to increase FPS in game :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 03, 2010, 09:12:55 am »

The trading caravan came and brought nice things to trade from our mounhtain home...
especially one kind of foodstuff they brought was very interesting:

Prepared Firefly Brain

;D

Now my cook wonders how he should turn these tiny pieces of brain into a  tasty meal ::)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:21:10 am by Proteus »

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2010, 09:33:38 am »

Has anybody seen any fish yet?  My fort is in a mountain that backs onto a great lake, and is fed by a river.  The river has no fish, the lake has no fish, the murky pools have no fish, the underground lake layer has no fish (though it does have vermin fish, it still cannot be fished from).  Its been running 2 years now, still zero fish anywhere.

Also, has anybody successfully used the military screen yet?  I've told my boys to use battle axes.  I have 3 battle axes in the weapon stockpile, plus two wood training axes.  They ignore all of them and are eternally doing Individual Training Drills.  They are also not active military dwarves, just civilians.  If I station them or set them to patrol, they become axe dwarves, but immediately revert if I order them to train instead.  Also, of those 3 battle axes I have in the stockpile, only the imported one shows up in the "Specific Weapon" selection menu.  The training axes also show up, though if I assign them to individual soldiers, the soldiers still do not grab them!

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 03, 2010, 09:50:39 am »

I've put the military experiments on hold for now, what with all the "go instantly retarded" perks that seem to go with it, besides, I got my proud fortress besieged by a Giant Olm.

To the guy having low fps issues, try setting the partial print to yes, like this -> [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] I dunno what the two does, it was set by default.

And Zared, I was going to say that I have tons of fish sitting in my stockpiles, but come to think of it, it's all turtles actually O.o And for some reason they're using the gemstone tile, which led to some confusion initially.

And I've uncovered
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, does anyone know if I can expect something worthy to come out of there? I do feel like this fortress has been lost already, but I don't want to just abandon it.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 03, 2010, 10:08:19 am »

So, when is this being ported to the Mac? D=
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 03, 2010, 10:27:57 am »

As soon as possible:

All right! I am still recovering from lack of sleep, but the 14 hours I just put in should help. The site was down for many hours yesterday, due to more traffic than my current configuration could handle, so the web server software has been replaced due to the heroic efforts of Baughn and some Footkerchief with a little watching-in-awe and dictation taking by myself. I now have over 200 emails that require some action on my part, and I'd like to input existing issues/categories into the bug tracker before it becomes over-burdened. That could take a while. I also need to catch up on crayon and ASCII art rewards, some of which have been languishing for some time. Then I'll start in on crashes and the merge with the OSX/Linux/SDL/improved-OpenGL port. I'd like to thank everybody that has supported the game, in whatever way, and I'll be back on it once I unbury myself.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:41 am »

As soon as possible:

All right! I am still recovering from lack of sleep, but the 14 hours I just put in should help. The site was down for many hours yesterday, due to more traffic than my current configuration could handle, so the web server software has been replaced due to the heroic efforts of Baughn and some Footkerchief with a little watching-in-awe and dictation taking by myself. I now have over 200 emails that require some action on my part, and I'd like to input existing issues/categories into the bug tracker before it becomes over-burdened. That could take a while. I also need to catch up on crayon and ASCII art rewards, some of which have been languishing for some time. Then I'll start in on crashes and the merge with the OSX/Linux/SDL/improved-OpenGL port. I'd like to thank everybody that has supported the game, in whatever way, and I'll be back on it once I unbury myself.

Well, I was wondering if there was a hard date, but thanks for reiterating.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31