Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 122056 times)

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #285 on: April 03, 2010, 02:21:22 am »

Amazingly, setting partial print to YES:2 did actually boost the FPS to the cap... Oh woe is my, why did it have to work when I have 3 days left till my test in Corporate Finance :(

On the bright side, well, DF! Guess it's worth getting a poor mark to set up a nice fortress in the newest, most awesome version. Expect my wild tales of random arbitrary boring stuff happening in my fortress soon!
These things should be set on the wiki for people who are new to this version :)
1fps is rather... depressing.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 03, 2010, 02:36:21 am »

1fps is an excelent way to test any "true fan"s devotion.

Fixed.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Daniel Charms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 03, 2010, 03:15:58 am »

One thing that still does not make much sense is how any migrant could have no social skills.  Seriously, what do they do when they grow up?  And when they migrate?  Talking is all that is required for social skills.  Heck, some children manage to become legendary comedians or whatever before they grow up.
My theory is that social skills in DF are not absolute but relative. What they reflect is not how good a dwarf is at communicating with other dwarves, but how good he or she is at mingling with other dwarves from this fortress. Dwarves tend to mistrust dwarves from other parts of the world (trade secrets and all that stuff), which means that a migrant will have to win their trust first before they are willing to talk to him/her. And this is what the social skills reflect - whether the dwarves from this fort like the migrant's jokes (comedian skill), whether they take his/her threats seriously (intimidator skill) and so on.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 03, 2010, 03:22:17 am »

Hmm, well, devotion. I do believe the fact we're actually playing and enjoying the thing and not bitching about the interface shows a certain degree of devotion; somewhere between "mad preacher" and "CRUSAAADEEEE!!!" methinks.

In other news, this new version is scaring me :( I just got an immigrant wave and was starting to curse at the Dwarven gods for burdening me so. I couldn't really check their skills cause, well, new version, new controls, same old player retardation; and I had managed to turn off the labor skills from showing. Imagine my amazement when I saw another miner join my two o7 ones. I start tumbling around the controls a while, and lo! I activated the showing of labour skills. "A legendary miner, eh? Seems all that mud digging payed off! Now let's see the poor immigrant..." Guess who was the legendary miner in the end?

ERROR.DOES NOT COMPUTE. Immigrants are meant to be useless, dammit!

Anyway, I'm just glad the thing runs at full power now :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

savanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 03, 2010, 03:29:52 am »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, might just be a map quirk, buuuuuut....

On this one particular map, the elves keep showing up for trade with: Nothing.

Absolutely Nothing.

Their warthog mounts carry NOTHING for trade.

Now, not that I really needed more reasons to hate elves, but... aren't they supposed to bring something? A few flowers, maybe?

Sav

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 03, 2010, 03:43:08 am »

Just tried to play the new version in wine... ;_; I can't play it! It starts up just fine and all, got a world genned, found a site, embarked...and that's when things went downhill. Tried to adjust skills on the dwarves but it wouldn't recognize my '-+', so decided might as well start off with just peasants, so went to items, '-+' still not working, end up getting a shittonne of food (seriously, that's a lot of options for food, and at 2 dorfbucks even!).  Went on to site. try setting some labor settings, and '-+' still aren't working. In short, it works, but is litterally unplayble. At least on this machine.

Makes me rather sad, I forgot to bring my jumpdrive with anime to watch with me to work tonight.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 03, 2010, 04:00:33 am »

Maybe use numpad? Always worked for me...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 03, 2010, 04:08:01 am »

Only works when you have a numpad, buddy.

Yeah, this DF is a tad too slow. I'm going to wait for the merger. Low fps has always been the reason I stop playing DF. It's been 10 minutes and my dwarf is still digging out the barracks. I do love the extra details, though, but it's so not fun now.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 03, 2010, 04:09:16 am »

Of course, why didn't I think of that? /sarcasm

It's a laptop, no numpad. and '-+' keys on the other part of the keyboard (ie, not numpad) worked just fine in 40d16.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 03, 2010, 04:11:34 am »

Only works when you have a numpad, buddy.

He didn't mentioned he have a laptop >.>

Ninja'd: Oh wait, now he did.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 03, 2010, 04:51:46 am »

1) Sand and raw-glass can be imported.

2) You can set things up so that digging out schist/microcline/etc only gives an announcement, but digging out metal ores and economic stone pauses and centers.

Wheeeeee!

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 03, 2010, 05:05:09 am »

Eeeeeee!  Can't wait for the OSX port so I can check this out!!  ;D

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2010, 05:27:55 am »

woohoo i figured out military control.. it's complicated but i like it.. works perfectly.. farming is pain in the ass but i have solutions.. :)
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Lebannehn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 03, 2010, 05:39:25 am »

what happened with df resource system?
now it is like easymode.
I dug up a huge number of gems. Very valuable gems....and this is the first minutes of the game..
same with golden ore etc.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2010, 05:47:40 am »

Of course, why didn't I think of that? /sarcasm

It's a laptop, no numpad. and '-+' keys on the other part of the keyboard (ie, not numpad) worked just fine in 40d16.

Thought about remapping the keys as well...?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31