Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Migrants are evil  (Read 3921 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants are evil
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 10:58:20 am »

What you don't seem to get, is that we find the situation entertaining. So they are being made useful. They're amusing us. By burning alive. Hilariously.

What you don't seem to get is that I'm telling you that you're enjoying the game the wrong way.  Rectify your thought-patterns to conform to my norms immediately.

Seriously, I'm just sick of hearing all this talk of killing one's own units.  You can't expect this much talk without there being some kind of backlash.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 11:16:04 am »

What you don't seem to get, is that we find the situation entertaining. So they are being made useful. They're amusing us. By burning alive. Hilariously.

What you don't seem to get is that I'm telling you that you're enjoying the game the wrong way.  Rectify your thought-patterns to conform to my norms immediately.

Seriously, I'm just sick of hearing all this talk of killing one's own units.  You can't expect this much talk without there being some kind of backlash.

I honestly have never really understood the killing one's own dwarves for amusement. I just don't get it. I actually feel very protective of my dwarves and try to make life easy for them and keep them alive.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 12:23:19 pm »

While I am also a benevolent dwarf deity, I can't really agree with any claim that this is the norm for Dwarf Fortress players.  The norm around here is sadism and violent amusement.

It makes a lot more sense if you take the position that they aren't your units at all, and you are just choosing to observe and manipulate these particular mortals for a time. I think that's the mindset that a lot of people end up with.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 06:03:12 pm »

It's sort of amusing that people are taking personally the manner in which other people amuse themselves with the game; as if their sadism or benevolence has any real effect on anything.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2010, 06:16:23 pm »

I agree with the thought that being nice to the dwarves is better. It allows for a much easier time building things like megaprojects with FTW levers and wiping out the elven race. Of course, some people need to release some aggression which they can't release in a social setting, so they target the creatures that can't fight back. Frankly, I'd prefer it done to pixels on a screen than to a living creature, like a dog or a cat.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2010, 07:54:48 pm »

I have to admit if there's anything about this game that makes me not want to play it's the migrants.  They always show up at the most inconvenient time and in excessive numbers.  Dealing with 20 new dwarves all at once is a total pain in the ass.  I say it needs to be reworked to where you only get 1 to 3 migrants every season. 

Even better, request the migrants through your liaison the same way you do with trade goods.  If you're not ready to support more dwarves don't request any or only request a couple.  They'll show up next year tagging along with the trade caravan.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2010, 08:07:10 pm »

That makes it all the more fun. If you're not sure you can support a huge wave of migrants, set the fortress population down in the init. Or, roll with the punches, put them to work in a major project and sort it out realtime.

How you deal with the immigrants is half the point of the game. The other halves are making a society that thrives and making giant pointless monuments to your greatness.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 08:57:53 pm »

I have to admit if there's anything about this game that makes me not want to play it's the migrants.  They always show up at the most inconvenient time and in excessive numbers.  Dealing with 20 new dwarves all at once is a total pain in the ass.  I say it needs to be reworked to where you only get 1 to 3 migrants every season.

The only thing that really bugs me about migrants is the timing.  Showing up when I've got a LARGE siege on, especially early in the game, is just racking up dead dwarves, filling my coffins (often with nothing to put in them but a name... but that's a different thread), and making me less likely to get migrants later, when I might actually be able to use them.

Even better, request the migrants through your liaison the same way you do with trade goods.  If you're not ready to support more dwarves don't request any or only request a couple.  They'll show up next year tagging along with the trade caravan.

THIS.  Oh, yes, this.  WOW, yes, this.  Made of win, with menacing spikes of win, hanging rings of win, and masterful images of win.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2010, 09:15:34 pm »

THIS.  Oh, yes, this.  WOW, yes, this.  Made of win, with menacing spikes of win, hanging rings of win, and masterful images of win.
On the item is an image of wins and winwins in win. The winwins are winning the win. This artwork relates to the ascension of the win to leadership of Winwin the Win Win-win of Win-win.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 12:28:40 am »

2 things.

First of all, unless you're still new to the game, or your food all got burned up because of an Imp or some other unfortunate occurance, you really have no excuse for not being able to feed your Migrants. Bring lots of food and seeds when you embark. Get your farms set up early (even if you can't really use them yet), and when you get any Peasants, or any Migrants with unwanted professions (Soapmakers etc), put them on Farming.

Secondly, yeah, what's with all the Dwarf killing? Entertain yourselves with dropping Goblins in Kitten Blenders, not wasting the lives of Dwarves. Remember, that Dwarf you're sending into the magma pit, could've gone on to become the one Markdwarf that holds off that huge Goblin invasion.

Certain Nobles, on the other hand, are fair game. Keep the useful ones, burn the freeloaders.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:30:31 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 01:33:50 am »

If you somehow can't manage to figure out anything to do with dwarves in a dwarf fortress, there's even tools included in the game for you to tell future migrants that there are "no vacancies" in your fortress.
Wait what? Did I just somehow miss that!?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 01:59:41 am »

If you somehow can't manage to figure out anything to do with dwarves in a dwarf fortress, there's even tools included in the game for you to tell future migrants that there are "no vacancies" in your fortress.
Init.txt
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 02:01:53 am »

Init.txt
Oooh, I wanted to tell the liason 'no migrants this year' ;D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 01:45:56 pm »

I honestly have never really understood the killing one's own dwarves for amusement. I just don't get it. I actually feel very protective of my dwarves and try to make life easy for them and keep them alive.

The degree of dwarf antipathy in DF is totally explainable for 3 reasons:
  • Nobles, and the associated Rage.
  • The impossibility of keeping all your dwarfs alive.  Sure, you may have that one fort that is a dwarfly paradise, but how many innocent souls were sacrificed before you learned how not to immediately kill your helpless charges.  Embracing the unavoidable death is simply one way to cope with our lack of control.
  • There is no win condition.  This means that, eventually, you will tire of your pristine construction.  What do we do with dominoes once we're done building towers?  That's right:

At last, she is done.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 03:31:59 pm »

2 things.

First of all, unless you're still new to the game, or your food all got burned up because of an Imp or some other unfortunate occurance, you really have no excuse for not being able to feed your Migrants. Bring lots of food and seeds when you embark. Get your farms set up early (even if you can't really use them yet), and when you get any Peasants, or any Migrants with unwanted professions (Soapmakers etc), put them on Farming.

Secondly, yeah, what's with all the Dwarf killing? Entertain yourselves with dropping Goblins in Kitten Blenders, not wasting the lives of Dwarves. Remember, that Dwarf you're sending into the magma pit, could've gone on to become the one Markdwarf that holds off that huge Goblin invasion.

Certain Nobles, on the other hand, are fair game. Keep the useful ones, burn the freeloaders.

Once again, OP mentioned that he had the incredible fortune to embark two tiles away from a fire imp, which promptly set fire to the entire landscape including his supplies.

As for the general discourse on dwarven sociopathy, it's really just a sort of vocal minority situation. Sure, some people play for no reason other than filling their video game cruelty quota, but plenty of us spend loads of time working on harmonized forts and only occasionally submerge a hundred-dwarf hovel in magma. The issue is that all those harmonic forts led to little more than the occasional revelation of how to set up infrastructure or manipulate friendships, while the one tale of firey doom is hilarious and leads to a 100+ post topic.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4