Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Migrants are evil  (Read 3915 times)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants are evil
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 10:23:56 am »

Set them all to gather plants or something useful.

Set them all to hunt. Some may survive.

Dwarf TheRapist may help.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 11:50:13 am »

Clarification on naming bridge.

Foreign Dwarves have such complex names, especially compared to  "miner Lurin, Trader Khash, and Hunter Steve"  So they go to the naming bridge to get a name.  When the lever is pulled your name becomes the first thing you say afterward.  Most Dwarves choose the name "oh shiiiiiiiiiiiii"   I wonder why that is?
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 02:04:38 pm »

Instead of setting up the meeting zone I suggest drafting every single one of the bastards you don't want and stationing them on the bridge. That way you don't lose a useful dwarf.

This is referred to in my circle as the "Naming Bridge™", where every dwarf goes to receive a new name. Directly from Armok. Usually deep within the magma.

Ah, I usually draft the guys I do want.. since there's usually only one or two.. sometimes none at all  ;D
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 02:13:36 pm »

I'm a little confused by this migrant hatred, and it's sudden need to be expressed in three seperate, concurrent threads.

As the God/Overseer/Communist President-For-Life of your fortress, it's your job to make a use for migrants.  If they are "useless", it's your fault for not using them.

If you somehow can't manage to figure out anything to do with dwarves in a dwarf fortress, there's even tools included in the game for you to tell future migrants that there are "no vacancies" in your fortress.

I find this a little like blaming water for being so evil when you try to make a complex water system without planning ahead - it's a force of nature YOU decided to tamper with, without recognizing the consequences, you only have yourself to blame for it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 03:04:36 pm »

I agree that the first year friendly invasion is pretty annoying, but it's not unmanageable. Get your skilled dorfs some apprentices to help with the busywork and draft the remainder.

On the other hand, keeping your population very low can actually be a nice way to play. You really get to know each of your little happy faces, and overall fortress management is vastly simpler without all those mouths to feed. Megaprojects have to wait, of course.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 05:26:52 pm »

You say it's a glitch because they come despite the fortress being starving... that's not a glitch, that's you not realizing their level of technology. You do realize they haven't managed to discover radios or telephones yet, right?
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 08:00:29 pm »

I'm saying its a glitch because it is:

1. A fortress with -no wealth-. Someone above didn't read my original post and insisted it had wealth. The original 7 did nothing, not even dig a hole, before they died. The only 'wealth' that exists is the armor the reclaim dwarves were wearing, half of which is now in magma.

2.  I was wrong. It wasn't 25 dwarves by winter. It was 25 dwarves by late autumn. I had one batch in summer, another in autumn.

How would any of these dwarves even know we -survived-? And why 25 of them? I shouldn't be getting armies of dwarves at a time.

As a poster above noted, you can get migrants despite 30 dwarves at a time dying for years on end. Migrants are absurdly non-picky.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 08:33:00 pm »

I set the population cap to 7.  I get a grand total of one immigrant a year for some reason "A Migrant has Arrived".  I grimaced slightly but then decided it was manageable since I had prepared about 70 obsidian bedrooms just in case.

I find it more manageable AND more realistic.

1 migrant....a year? That's weird in two ways:
1. I'd never had a migrant/migrant wave show up when I was at the pop cap. It'd odd they keep coming for you. I wonder why that is.
2. How do you ever, I dont know, do anything? I can't comprehend how long things must take, with only 7+1/year dwarves. Then again, that's probably my own ignorance speaking, having never tried it. Just seems peculiar.

You can build a freakin' three z-level warehouse and five z-level castle, all in the same map, with /no/ migrants. It's actually pretty easy. It just requires some multitasking on particular dwarves.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 08:47:28 pm »

I set the population cap to 7.  I get a grand total of one immigrant a year for some reason "A Migrant has Arrived".  I grimaced slightly but then decided it was manageable since I had prepared about 70 obsidian bedrooms just in case.

I find it more manageable AND more realistic.

1 migrant....a year? That's weird in two ways:
1. I'd never had a migrant/migrant wave show up when I was at the pop cap. It'd odd they keep coming for you. I wonder why that is.
2. How do you ever, I dont know, do anything? I can't comprehend how long things must take, with only 7+1/year dwarves. Then again, that's probably my own ignorance speaking, having never tried it. Just seems peculiar.

You can build a freakin' three z-level warehouse and five z-level castle, all in the same map, with /no/ migrants. It's actually pretty easy. It just requires some multitasking on particular dwarves.

Agreed.  Plus, waiting for your mason to wake up isn't a problem when you're running at 200 fps.
At last, she is done.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 05:05:17 am »

I'm saying its a glitch because it is:

1. A fortress with -no wealth-. Someone above didn't read my original post and insisted it had wealth. The original 7 did nothing, not even dig a hole, before they died. The only 'wealth' that exists is the armor the reclaim dwarves were wearing, half of which is now in magma.

2.  I was wrong. It wasn't 25 dwarves by winter. It was 25 dwarves by late autumn. I had one batch in summer, another in autumn.

How would any of these dwarves even know we -survived-? And why 25 of them? I shouldn't be getting armies of dwarves at a time.

As a poster above noted, you can get migrants despite 30 dwarves at a time dying for years on end. Migrants are absurdly non-picky.

Your supposed to get many dwarves per wave, it's intended. Your first 7 are only there to make things ready for the first imigration wave: dig some rooms to sleep in, and get a whole lot of food ready.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 11:16:57 am »

As the God/Overseer/Communist President-For-Life of your fortress, it's your job to make a use for migrants.  If they are "useless", it's your fault for not using them.

If you somehow can't manage to figure out anything to do with dwarves in a dwarf fortress, there's even tools included in the game for you to tell future migrants that there are "no vacancies" in your fortress.

What you don't seem to get, is that we find the situation entertaining. So they are being made useful. They're amusing us. By burning alive. Hilariously.

(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

dukestabbington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 01:58:43 pm »

Yeah. nthing the confusion over migrant hate.

OP, can you tell us about your food setup? You really shouldn't be in any danger of starving that early on unless you get cut off from your wagon by antmen or something.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 02:13:01 pm »

OP, can you tell us about your food setup? You really shouldn't be in any danger of starving that early on unless you get cut off from your wagon by antmen or something.

Beginning of Winter 1: ....by which point a named fire imp has set fire to the entire wilderness, destroying all my food and booze
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

dukestabbington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 02:23:51 pm »

Oh, right.

The lesson here isn't "migrants are evil," it's "move your items underground immediately." Not joking, hope you like dark gnomes/bears/raccoons/kobolds.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 12:56:33 am »

Oh, right.

The lesson here isn't "migrants are evil," it's "move your items underground immediately." Not joking, hope you like dark gnomes/bears/raccoons/kobolds.

Do this, seriously.

Also, I've always loved it when imps light the map on fire. It just looks so awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4