Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 10,000 Leagues Under the... Earth? (Inspired by Undergrotto)  (Read 6330 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: 10,000 Leagues Under the... Earth? (Inspired by Undergrotto)
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 03:21:42 pm »

Ah, guess I got the farm plots and greenhouses mixed up then. On the DFMA map the greenhouse POI goes to the giant pit with dropped soil layers, and the farm plots one goes to the bottom-z tiles that were unbucketable.

Generally my rule of thumb is a pile of stone doesn't become unmanageable until it's over 5000 (make the obligatory joke, I'll wait :P) and doesn't become an FPS problem until it's somewhere between 10k ~ 50k. If it's just 'here we have a lot of stone' and it's contained, you can check how much is there by looking at your stocks screen first, then forbidding everything you want dumped in a big sweep and checking again, finding out the difference. It doesn't look like you have any big waterworks or mechanical systems up yet, so you should be fine for boiling so long as you don't have too many masterworks. Just wait until the digging's all done, and in the future try and avoid building out of stone types you know will be boiled later. The number you want for [BOILINGPOINT:] is about 10015u, average indoor temperature. The boiling mist will be a fine breeze.

I've heard adding the [SOIL] tag helps for leaving less stone behind but due to weird biome code doesn't always work. Maybe worth a shot though.

I can't flood my fortress well because the river is too high up. I don't want flooding fun in my fortress just yet.

Two quick ways to get easily accessed water on the bottom floor: One, just dig a big hole and have water pour down. At the bottom use a diagonal access tile as a baffle so it depressurizes and doesn't rise. It won't refill super fast, though, but it's unlikely that's a problem for you. The mildly more complicated way is to dig a big hole and build a pump on the second-highest level drawing from the bottom of the hole. Water will flood the pump, but if mechanically operated from underneath you can seal it off and have fast-filling water pressurized to bottom layer + 1.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 03:32:17 pm »

Ah, guess I got the farm plots and greenhouses mixed up then. On the DFMA map the greenhouse POI goes to the giant pit with dropped soil layers, and the farm plots one goes to the bottom-z tiles that were unbucketable.
No, wait, the DFMA POI's are correct. I just accidentally wrote a little vague. The greenhouses are the soil layers that were dropped. The farms are the 4 unbucketable farmplots underground.

Generally my rule of thumb is a pile of stone doesn't become unmanageable until it's over 5000 (make the obligatory joke, I'll wait :P) and doesn't become an FPS problem until it's somewhere between 10k ~ 50k. If it's just 'here we have a lot of stone' and it's contained, you can check how much is there by looking at your stocks screen first, then forbidding everything you want dumped in a big sweep and checking again, finding out the difference. It doesn't look like you have any big waterworks or mechanical systems up yet, so you should be fine for boiling so long as you don't have too many masterworks. Just wait until the digging's all done, and in the future try and avoid building out of stone types you know will be boiled later. The number you want for [BOILINGPOINT:] is about 10015u, average indoor temperature. The boiling mist will be a fine breeze.

I've heard adding the [SOIL] tag helps for leaving less stone behind but due to weird biome code doesn't always work. Maybe worth a shot though.
Well, my fortress' stone count IS OVER 9000! The game stocks menu says that I have 4000+ stone that are red (forbidden, yeah?). So, all I do is tell the gameto make the boiling point room temperature, and voila, no more stone of that type? (including ALL furniture? So doors and cabinets and coffers?)

And, you didn't specify which miner dwarf you wanted, unless you don't care.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »

Yeah, boiling basically destroys everything of that stone type that isn't a b-C construction like floors and the like. If a workshop or other multi-item building contains a piece of gabbro, the whole thing'll just deconstruct. Good idea to make a copy of the save before you do this; you should also remove the boiling tag when you're done.

And I'm not picky about whatever miner. I guess just whichever one is at the top of the list :P That tends to be my favoured one.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 04:06:39 pm »

Actually, all I need to do is [BOILING_POINT:10020] because the majority of stones that won't be needed are in the sun (around the greenhouse)... 10020u is OUTDOOR temp, while 10015 is INDOOR temp. So all the unnecessary stone around the greenhouse will boil away. At least, that is the intention.

^While writing above, I added that tag to gabbro, and it worked a lot more efficiently than I expected...

Anyways, your dwarf has been claimed. You get

EDIT: His name is now "Retro", forgot to change it before I posted the pic. My bad.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:11:12 pm by They Got Leader »
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 06:58:20 pm »

You're filling your cistern completely by hand?

Okay, that's fairly dwarfy, but personally I'd go with a pressure plate and staggered reservior setup so it'll fill itself automatically if it gets below a certain point. Also you wouldn't lose all the time it takes to lug a bucket up to the surface and back in productivity.

I've also noticed a disturbing lack of traps. Even if you have invasions turned off, it still doesn't feel right to see a fort without an entrance stuffed to the rafters with traps.

Anyway, looks like you're off to a promising start.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 07:05:18 pm »

Lack of traps is because invaders are off and I am working on cutting out my cavern at the moment. Work on traps and such will come eventually.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 11:01:22 pm »

(Double post, sorry) I have carved out the inside of the cavern. It really isn't that impressive on Visual Fortress. However, it is done, and I like it. The Giant Eagle likes its new-found ability to fly the heights of my cave. I think it is now a Cave Giant Eagle...

In other news, the humans came and traded a lot of bars with me, so now I am stocked with metal. Lots and lots of it. Of all kinds. I am now going to collapse the other 3 greenhouse soil layers.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 12:12:16 am »

The Giant Eagle likes its new-found ability to fly the heights of my cave. I think it is now a Cave Giant Eagle...

Just reading that sentence made me thrilled with delight. Giant Cave Eagle....now I want one! D:
Oh, and if you have a spare Dwarf, throw me in for it. I'd love to reside in a mega-fortress.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 12:25:32 am »

The Giant Eagle likes its new-found ability to fly the heights of my cave. I think it is now a Cave Giant Eagle...

Just reading that sentence made me thrilled with delight. Giant Cave Eagle....now I want one! D:
Oh, and if you have a spare Dwarf, throw me in for it. I'd love to reside in a mega-fortress.

Yeah, well, what else would you call it? Its a cave dwelling Giant Eagle...
Now I am imagining a scene...

Spoiler: *Enter Goblin Thief* (click to show/hide)

What kind of spare dwarf? I have like 35 of them...

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 12:43:34 am »

Er, I mentioned this earlier, but it wasn't very noticeable - Could I get a Marksdwarf named Valdar, please?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 07:47:19 pm »

Er, I mentioned this earlier, but it wasn't very noticeable - Could I get a Marksdwarf named Valdar, please?

And I replied:

I have 2 rangers that are going to be marksdwarves eventually. Currently, they are herbalists and haulers...

So, yes. You may :)

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 07:56:27 pm »

haha, well somebodys going to be busy for a long long.....long time. 

btw, retro, how many in-game years did it take to make undergrotto (aka: the greatest fortress ever)?
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 08:13:12 pm »

Actually, surprising not that long ingame. Just out of game. [SPEED:0] is a lovely thing.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 08:15:05 pm »

Dang, I forgot that you replied. My memory is pretty terrible, sorry.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 08:18:03 pm »

Don't worry about it.

I would like to let you guys know that I have a Spearmaster Champion that has a mangled... left arm and a broken right knee, and he is still wandering around not needing rest. He is armed with a copper plate, a spear and a copper shield. Its like a spartan dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5