Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 10,000 Leagues Under the... Earth? (Inspired by Undergrotto)  (Read 6328 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
10,000 Leagues Under the... Earth? (Inspired by Undergrotto)
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:46 pm »

This is Ostarudil, "Buriedlatern". It is 16 z-levels under the flat lands of Strasp Snûn. Accessible by the humans, dwarves, goblins, kobolds and elves, even the most daring of wagon will see the wonders that are the bottom of the world.

This is my megaproject. It is akin to Undergrotto, but this is under flat lands instead of a mountain. I will be digging out the bottom of the world to create a cavern of massive proportions. The land is rich with obsidian and marble. Magma flows freely. There is a brook full of fish. Trees are over abundant. Veins of metal and gems fall to the pick of the dwarves as they excavate out the bottom of the world.

It is still in progress, as it takes a lot of time to do this, but I thought it might be interesting for those who want to see it.

The map is uploaded to the archive (link). I am going to start updating maybe bi seasonally.

Map information:
Spoiler: Gen Data (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Location (click to show/hide)

But what about all of you? Have you ever been inspired by a megaproject before?

Thanks to all those who helped with the smelter and speed modifications. Without you, I would have thousands of gabbro stones.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
Re: 10,000 Leagues Under the... Earth? (Inspired by Undergrotto)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:53:48 am »

how did you get the soil layer down?

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 04:21:47 am »

Ah yes, megaprojects. The noblest undertakings of Dwarves! Keep us posted on the progress; there are few things more impressive than a megaproject, and especially one inspired by Undergrotto.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 05:01:02 am »

Make sure to build a giant spike that your fortress can use to attack the surface of the world.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:05:57 am »

Make sure to build a giant spike that your fortress can use to attack the surface of the world.

How Freudian.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:03 am »

How'd you get farms on the bottom level? I know you can pour water over stone floors to make them muddly and plant on that, but there aren't any pumps or aqueucts or anything that I can see, and nothing is mined out above the farm plots so you couldn't have designated a pond above them and had your dwarves dump water from above.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:13:53 am »

How Freudian.
It's a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea reference. I didn't write it.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »

I'm honoured! :D Will be keeping an eye on this. Looks quite interesting. Are you planning on opening up / expanding the ceilings higher? >_>

How'd you get farms on the bottom level? I know you can pour water over stone floors to make them muddly and plant on that, but there aren't any pumps or aqueucts or anything that I can see, and nothing is mined out above the farm plots so you couldn't have designated a pond above them and had your dwarves dump water from above.

He dug out some soil walls from the surface and collapsed them down. Very dorfy.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 02:15:54 pm »

I'm honoured! :D Will be keeping an eye on this. Looks quite interesting. Are you planning on opening up / expanding the ceilings higher? >_>

He dug out some soil walls from the surface and collapsed them down. Very dorfy.

I can see how that might be done, but not how it could be done THERE, since there's nothing dug out directly above the plots and as far as I know you can't move soil period (aside from digging it out or collapes.)

Therosfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 05:45:21 pm »

Well since he filled his Cistern with buckets, he probably muddied the ground using buckets.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 05:50:59 pm »

The farm plots are Dtil-ed. It's such a bad thing, I know, but I didn't feel like doing all the necessary work. Ironically, only the farmplots and starting dwarves had Dtil. Everything else was done by work. And [SPEED:0]. For reference, the starting dwarves were simple: 4 miner/mason/engravers, 2 woodcutter/carpenters, 1 farmer/brewer. And 50 food, 50 drink, 4 copper picks, 2 steel battle axes, 3 giant cave spider silk bags, and an anvil. Is it cheating? I don't think so, but it is up to you.

The soil was dropped. I used Retro's up/down channeling technique to dig out all the lower layers. It took quite some time and a lot of stone is left over. I plan on redoing the process 3 more times for the other 3 plots.

Thank you, Retro. You are an inspiration, and yes, I do plan on expanding the amount dug out, but that is later. My priorities are to finish the 3 other soil layers. However, the elves just sold me a giant eagle. The main entrance hall needs to be expanded several z-layers up so that it can be used to its full extent. I plan on making the entrance hall into one large dome, with the spiral staircase leading out.

If any of you have any suggestions or ideas, let me know please. I will be updating the map when I can. Stay tuned! :)

I've been seeing a lot of LP's around with "Dwarf claiming." If some fey mood possesses you to claim a dwarf, just ask.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 02:17:58 pm »

Ah, I thought the farm plots were what was referred to as the greenhouses on the map (where the soil layers did get collapsed). I see the farm plots now - actually a surprisingly easy way to do that without Dtil would be to just flood a bunch of the area indiscriminately and then just build and remove floor tiles on the area you don't want muddy to reclaim them so to speak and then resmooth if you want that.

As for the greenhouse digging, while up/down channelling works very well for organically-shaped areas as well as very wide/long areas, the greenhouse pits are square/rectangular and not too wide either so you could use the dig and collapse method to halve the designating time. Digging areas like those pits are the kind it's surprisingly more suited for than up/down. But there's never any harm in the latter.

...the elves just sold me a giant eagle...

Aw yeah! Is it a female? My first fort had a breeding pair of giant eagles and the eaglesplosion was utterly delightful.

And since you're taking dorf requests, a miner named Retro would be enjoyable :D

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 02:39:05 pm »

No, the greenhouses are the 4 plots I have set up for the soil. They are for tree growing, though my fortress needs little wood (aside from beds). Eventually, goblinite will be pouring and I need word for my pig iron.

I might do the dig and collapse, but the sheer lag when the floor collapses is... amazing. It was really funny to see the soil drop some 15 layers into an abyss. I can't flood my fortress well because the river is too high up. I don't want flooding fun in my fortress just yet.

They sold me a alligator, giant eagle, hoary marmot and a jaguar. All female. The elves aren't COMPLETELY useless.  8)

Alright. Dwarf miner Retro... I have 5 miners. 4 legendary starting off miner/mason/engravers and 1 migrant  to-be-legendary miner, with engraver.

All unnecessary migrants become engravers. Its just necessary. I smooth all available floors.

Also, Retro, being skilled in this field, I need your help. I am digging on a gabbro layer, and the gabbro is filling my fortress up. Should I boil it away? If so, should i turn temperature off so that my dawrves don't boil too? Or does that not work?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 02:56:31 pm »

Can I have a marksdwarf named Valdar when you get useless migrants?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 03:17:00 pm »

I have 2 rangers that are going to be marksdwarves eventually. Currently, they are herbalists and haulers...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5